Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A video showing 6 photographers in a public place and what happened.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MrGoatsmilk
20 Jul 2011 - 4:46 PM

From their youtube description...

On Tuesday 21 June 2011 six photographers were assigned different areas of the City to photograph. Some used tripods, some went hand held, one set up a 5 x 4.

All were instructed to keep to public land and photograph the area as they would on a normal day. The event aimed to test the policing of public and private space by private security firms and their reaction to photographers.

All six photographers were stopped on at least one occasion. Three encounters led to police action.

This is what happened.

Video

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 20 Jul 2011 - 4:46 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jul 2011 - 4:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

milly123
milly123  477 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jul 2011 - 5:12 PM

Very good video and the Police come out looking good. The ignorance and scare tactics of the security is what I have come to expect......

Milly

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jul 2011 - 5:17 PM

Certainly seems like its security that cause the issues not the police, at least on these occasions.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2011 - 5:18 PM

Jobsworths are always a problem. It's the sort of job people fall into, if they can get no other.................

ImageCrazy
20 Jul 2011 - 7:17 PM

this is brilliant! Has given me an instant boost in confidence for street photography. I am usually so nervous!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2011 - 8:20 PM

Very sad, just shows another bunch of idiots out trying to provoke a situation and succeeding.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2011 - 8:36 PM

Interesting stuff.

Its worth pointing out that not all the security in the film were OTT. I liked the guy who came out to see if he could help them get better images, but to also ask the purpose. This reminds me of the security guards at Salford Quays - chatting to one of them on a visit a month or two back he was exceptionally friendly and told me that the security there had been instructed to encourage photography.

Thanks for the link.

Adam

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2011 - 8:56 PM

Quote: Very sad, just shows another bunch of idiots out trying to provoke a situation and succeeding.

Can't agree with you on that at all, Paul. There is nothing wrong in what they did. They didn't act nasty.
And it is quite assuring that police let them continue doing it.

milly123
milly123  477 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jul 2011 - 9:23 PM

I agree Coleslaw, they did nothing wrong and were always polite. When you get security guards saying you cannot take a photograph of a building because it's private, how long would it be before it became custom and practise that society deems you cannot take photographs anywhere in public. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in and challenge misperceptions.....

milly

leeroe
leeroe  12230 forum posts England
20 Jul 2011 - 11:09 PM

Very interesting video, loved it. There is an element of "poke the spider" in the video Paul, I agree, but I think it went a long way to showing that the Police in some circumstances do get it right. I loved the two wannabe FBI agents in their cheap silver suits, covert acoustic earpice tubes on show and matching little metal lapel badges, lmao !! how sad.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jul 2011 - 11:54 PM

The police behaved perfectly correctly. The security personnel less so, although there was I suppose an element of "I vos only obeying orders!" Wink

TBH though, if the togs concerned were using (say) hand-held M4/3 cameras or compacts, and wearing suits (well, the men anyway) I doubt anyone would have bothered them. Tripods are a red rag to a bull.

f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 12:21 AM

At least the message is getting through that we can take photos on public property now.
If anyone watches Freeview channel 11 the police are adamant when suspects pulled over for questioning that the videographer has the right to film in a public place.

Carabosse
21 Jul 2011 - 12:55 AM

It seems to be getting through to the police but getting through to private security people will be a much harder job.

monstersnowman
21 Jul 2011 - 2:05 AM

Quote: Very sad, just shows another bunch of idiots out trying to provoke a situation and succeeding.

Sorry Paul but you are wrong imo .. I often dislike stunts like this were the people taking part often bait the people who speak to them, they act in every manner possible to get a response but these photographers were reasonable, polite, helpful and in no way attempted to do anything to escalate the situation. It is nice to see that the police have taken on board the laws regarding photography in these instances.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
21 Jul 2011 - 9:06 AM

wonder IF they get stroppy with google earth? ALL THESE places are live

had a running sore trying to redo / replicate my 1960's pix in a then and now series I do mainly waht you now call "street" (when NO ONE had a security job? they all worked for a living!)

with a REALLY nice location off the back of the strand in the rite light, british sun & just after mid day it takes a semi religious look & feel

then you get the east european scuzzbag with limited english in a poundland yellow flourescent vest (and NO security / doorman licence these are issued by the local council after a week or so of training! this is mandatory to prove a level of (sense?) and ability NOT to break the law) doing a bravo-2-0 getting the "manager" seeminly to avoid the cigarette police being informed of the tabacco addicts littering the outside!

IT took six months of being me asking the met police (heremmm wezza a bit busy NOT doing hacking enquiries) the cuddly codswallop of a mayor < HE IS part east european? & concerned with labour conspiracies at the time!> is still waitng to reply properly, and the (local) westminster council to only just pronounce that it was a public road, which was amazing as google earth did it all for me!

do google earth "savoy place westminster" its a good location finder! BUT go on a sunday less addicts there!

I am going back and this time I WILL call the police IF stopped, and press charges if bullied

IT REALLY HAS TO BE STOPPED freedom to take pictures on public places should be just that FREEDOM.

Last Modified By pabloisme at 21 Jul 2011 - 9:10 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.