Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

A200 or A300?

23 Nov 2008 12:32PM
im after my first DSLR and the A300 appealed to me but i noticed for 80 cheaper i could get the A200 i was comparing them and they both seem the same to me apart from the A300 has live view and the acclaimed "worlds fastest autofocus" which should i get.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

I've got an Alpha 300 and its excellant, the differences are that the A300 has got live view with tiltable screen and it also focuses in live view which other cameras dont (not many atleast) but other than that there isnt much of a difference, the price differnce should only be about 50 after cashback though
23 Nov 2008 11:15PM
I have the A350 and I'm very impressed with the quality of the photos it takes and I notice it can be bought now for about 350 complete with 18-70 (I think) lens, it's a real bargain.
I bought mine intending it to become my spare camera as and when Sony make a semi-pro camera as good as the Nikon D300 but that hasn't happened yet but they're nearly there, anyway, I doubt if I'll upgrade now as the photos mine take are of surprisingly good quality.
Geoff.
30 Nov 2008 12:11PM
what it is is that i would like to invest in accessories and have a budget of 500
6 Jan 2009 3:06PM

Quote:What it is is that i would like to invest in accessories and have a budget of 500

my first DLSR was a sony A200, i spent 600 that includes the camera itself, Sandisc CF extremeIII 4G, Lowepro A160 camera bag, a tripod, Hahnel cable release, Tamron 18-200mm lens, a UV filter for protection and a polarising filter, and a sony HVL-F36AM flashgun.

the flashgun cost me 100, if you dont need it, 500 budget will include everthing else and i think they are essential.

buy memory card, bag, filter and tripod from Amazon uk, it offers much lower prices, i got the Tamron 18-200mm from Camerabox, it was 174 including second day delivery, the problem with Camerabox is that it has large selection of camera and lenses are often out of stock, have a look yourself.

finally, if you are now considering A300 or 350, why not go for Canon 450D, it's a nice camera, choose wisely before you committ to a brand, change it later will cost you a fortune.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
6 Jan 2009 3:39PM
Another vote for the A300. If you don't need the Live View, go for the A200.
PeterBee 8 35 5 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2009 3:46PM
If you arestarting from scratch, my inclination would be to go for the A200 and use the 80 you save to fund accessories - its amazing how the cost of all the bits and paeices add up. Whichever you opt for, you will be delighted with the results from the camera.
7 Jan 2009 2:20AM

Quote:Another vote for the A300. If you don't need the Live View, go for the A200.

live view is useful for taking picture from uncomfortable angles, eg, view finder is too low or too high to reach, you wouldn't care for it until the day you set up your tripod at a very low level and the camera is pointing upwards. that's what happened to me, my neck hurt for a couple of days after. lol
bradleysmith 10 157 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2009 1:00PM
The A200 also has a very slightly larger optical viewfinder than the A300. I happily gave that up to have the tiltable LiveView screen though and have found it useful on more than one occasion already.
Ian G W 11 396 3 England
18 Jan 2009 2:53PM
I have the A200, and am more than satisfied with it, but can see the attraction of the tiltable LiveView. I can also recommend buying the older Minolta AF lenses - you can pick them up on Ebay relatively (ie relative to buying a new one!) cheaply. The Minolta 50mm f 1.7 prime lens, 28-85mm and 70-210mm f4 (aka the beercan lens) zoom lenses are all worth considering. (They hold their value too - I've tried a few different Minolta lenses now, and usually made a profit selling on the ones I've replaced!)

Ian.
Photogeek 9 605 6 Wales
18 Jan 2009 5:36PM
I second Ian's Advice . . . I recently swapped a new Minolta 70-210 for a much older Beercan difference is considerable . . . And I picked up a 135mm f2.8 (ceased production in 1980) for a song, that is incredibly sharp .. . the old Minolta series one 50mm f1.7 is one of my targets its better than the current Sony one.

Of the two you have listed I would go for the A300 . . . I have tiltable view on my A2 and miss it from my Alpha 100
Ian G W 11 396 3 England
18 Jan 2009 6:06PM

Quote:.. . the old Minolta series one 50mm f1.7 is one of my targets its better than the current Sony one.

These are going for about 90-100 on ebay at the moment, with a few appearing for sale every week. I got mine about 4 months ago, when the average was around 70-80. I think that as the reputation of the Sony alpha DSLR series goes from strength to strength, so the demand for these older Minolta lenses increases, along with the price!

Ian.
Snapper_T 10 848 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2009 9:38PM
True, the lenses are holding their money, the good ones anyway.

Whichever camera you get, look for the 50mm 1.7 as mentioned above.

Trev
Broken 4 21 England
25 Jan 2013 12:18PM
I love my a200 and have now upgraded to a SLT a57. Only issue I had with the 200 is the slider problem causing a 'black' image as the first photo. It seems to be a common issue.
31 Jan 2013 1:29PM
I still have my Sony a200. Got it 3 years ago for my 40th.
It was my first DSLR, not getting ready to sell it and upgrade.
Cracking camera and I have been more than happy with the photos I have taken.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.