Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

A3 Printer - any advice?

RobD 7 25 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2008 10:06PM
The Epson 1270 &1290 have generally served me well over the past few years but 1290 is beginning to play up & I'm thinking of replacing it. I'd be grateful for some advice - especially on the Canon alternatives as the latest Epsons don't seem to get a good press with the users despite the awards. 400 or so is my budget - although if there's someting you recommend that will give me the same excellent quality as the 1290 for less I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks
Rob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Imagine23 8 241 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2008 10:13PM
Hello, I have an Epson R2400, which I brought a couple of years ago for around 400, and I'm really happy with it. Great image quality, never any problems with calibration etc, it does seem a little greedy on ink perhaps, but despite this I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it Smile
RobD 7 25 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2008 10:34PM
Thanks for this, Lynn. The R2400 was one of the options I was considering - and as I have a stack of Epson paper it would make sense. But reviews on Amazon & comments on this forum don't seem very positive. I'm still undecided
Rob
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Oct 2008 11:24AM
If you want quality without grief, It's got to be a Canon.....!

We switched from Epson to Canon, Because of tiresome hassles with print head blockages, And nightmarish calibration issues, And then there is the ink cost issue....!

Our Canon printers are F A B, Absolutely no hassle straight from the box, Plug them in, Run the software........Job done...Smile

Would never entertain an Epson again......!
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
13 Oct 2008 11:32AM
What he said ^

I wouldn't change my Canon 9500 Pro for anything else, the quality is stunning (and I have many customer testimonials to back that up) and it's an absolute doddle to use; literally just plug it in, install the software and off you go.

I've also manged to reduce my print costs considerably due to some excellent advice from a certain Mr Henson - cheers Keith. Wink
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 11:38AM

Quote:I've also manged to reduce my print costs considerably due to some excellent advice from a certain Mr Henson

Come on spill the beans - What did he say then?
13 Oct 2008 11:44AM
Print mono....

Wink
lobsterboy e2
13 Oct 2008 11:48AM
funny the advice he gave me was - "stop printing all those rubbish pictures" Wink
13 Oct 2008 11:55AM
Keith would have my guts for garters if I revealed all he taught me on his excellent printing course...

Wink
lobsterboy e2
13 Oct 2008 12:00PM
Fair enough - Hensons a big fella Wink

Back to the OPs question: I looked at the Epson 2880 and found that the ink costs were very high. I decided instead to go for an Epson 3800, it produces superb prints and due to larger ink cartridges the running costs are a lot lower.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Oct 2008 12:13PM
The thing with Epson's, is that to get the best from them they need to be working regularly and require a little more input from the user than do the Canon's- especially the latest Canon's.

During years of Epson use...and I kept an R1800...I was never disappointed with the results, in fact the R1800 still gets used but it is true that Canon have stole the march on Epson at the moment.
The useful thing with the Canon's - and this matters a lot to the user with only the basic knowledge - is that they will work pretty much out of the box and suffer not being used for a couple of weeks without having to go through any long winded recovery cleaning.

Having said that, any inkjet printer benefits from a print being put through it at least once a week.
RobD 7 25 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 1:32PM
I'm following this with interest - thanks for your input everyone. Canon seems to winning the day - any thoughts about a particular model?
Rob
Geraint 8 715 34 Wales
13 Oct 2008 1:36PM
I bought the Canon 9500 last week. The quality is outstanding. A bit over your budget (got mine for 519.99 from Park Cameras), but well worth it in my opinion.
Geraint

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.