Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A3 printer choice, Canon or Epson?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Woofmix
Woofmix  569 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Oct 2008 - 9:18 PM

Hi folks,

I'm preparing to buy an A3 photo printer and would like your opinions and / or experiences (plus other recommendations) on the following selection.

Canon Pro9000
Canon Pro9500
Epson R2880

From my research so far I prefer the Epson but I have a mountain of Canon A4 photo paper for my current printer a Canon IP4500, will the Epson print ok on the Canon photo paper?

All opinions welcome.

Happy snapping Smile
Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Oct 2008 - 9:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

floreus
floreus  9106 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2008 - 9:26 PM

Hi Paul, I'm thinking of buying the Canon Pro9500. Why does your research suggest that the epson R2880 is better?
Cheers

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2008 - 9:27 PM

Canon Pro9500 just has the edge I think for this round of new models. The Epson 2880 althpough good quality has the ridiculous cartridge capacity of 11ml
Ken

Woofmix
18 Oct 2008 - 9:37 PM

Hi Floreus,

Really it's all very even stevens but the reviews I've read just seem to favour the Epson, although Dashbox is saying the ink capacity is small on the Epson so I guess thats a consideration.
From what I can gather the R2880 is a 2008 model whereas the Canons were released in 2007 so if that really matters I guess it's another point for the R2880.
One review suggested while the 9500 was excellent it possibly wasn't the best choice if most of your printing will be on glossy paper, not a quality issue but just a value for money issue.
See why I'm so undecided!!! :-p

Paul

floreus
floreus  9106 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2008 - 9:40 PM

Thanks Paul, I know the feeling - i've been trawling through web reviews too Smile

pink
pink  111380 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2008 - 10:40 PM

I bought the Epson R2400 and have not one regret, even though I am a dyed in the wool Canon man. Its a superb printer and produces superb results straight out of the box. I am sure the newer model is even better as well.

Geraint
Geraint  7715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2008 - 10:46 PM

I bought the Canon 9500 a few weeks ago. Superb results, especially for b&w.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
18 Oct 2008 - 11:07 PM

I've been using a Canon 9500 since June last year. The prints are excellent, though the pigment ink don't do good glossy prints as this printer has no glossy optimiser like the Epson R800 had. Colour matching, quietness and ease of use cannot be faulted. With ten cartridges, you do end up buying lots of ink, but a full set can be obtained from Photoglossy or MX2 for 76.99 post free.

One big bonus is that in almost 17 months of ownership, I've had no issues with clogged printheads at all. No banding, so cleaning cycles haven't been needed. Epsons pigment printers are much more prone to clogging. You can end up wasting a lot of ink just keeping the ink flowing.

Do be aware that there are 35mm forced margins top and bottom of the page on Fine Art papers with the Canon which aren't to everyone's liking. It doesn't bother me, but you have been warned.

Build quality is excellent and it doesn't stop you listening to tv or conversation while it prints. Printing is slow, compared to some other printers, but the quality makes it worthwhile.

The only other disadvantage is that the inks for this printer aren't readily available on the High St, so you are dependent on mail order.

Jo

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 1:06 AM

All those reviewers are playing with brand new machines, They run out a few prints then wrtire up the reviews.......!

They rarely try living with the machine from one year to the next, Therefore they also rarely mention things like " Nozzle Clogging " !

Nozzle clogging is something Epson are famous for, Every Epson pprinter we have had in the past & present clog up, Even when in regular use, Leave the thing for a couple of days, And it clogs up, And thats with Epsons highly expensive genuine ink.....!

We now use Canon printers, No clogging, Not never even on our 3 year old iP8500......!

Pays your money takes your choice.........!

Woofmix
19 Oct 2008 - 12:41 PM

Quote: I've been using a Canon 9500 since June last year. The prints are excellent, though the pigment ink don't do good glossy prints as this printer has no glossy optimiser like the Epson R800 had.

Most of my printing will be on glossy paper so is this possibly not the best choice for me then?

Thanks,

Paul

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 1:07 PM

Quote: Nozzle clogging is something Epson are famous for, Every Epson pprinter we have had in the past & present clog up, Even when in regular use, Leave the thing for a couple of days, And it clogs up, And thats with Epsons highly expensive genuine ink.....!

I have never had a problem with my Epsons clogging - so it might be a luck/certain models thing. In addition I notice certain modifications have been made to the latest models to reduce the problem, so they might be better now.

Though of course YMMV Wink

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 19 Oct 2008 - 1:08 PM
User_Removed
19 Oct 2008 - 1:21 PM

I moved from an Epson 1290 to a Canon PIXMA 9000. About the only thing they have in common is that they're both printers. The Canon is superior in every department except footprint.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 1:33 PM

Quote: I moved from an Epson 1290 to a Canon PIXMA 9000. About the only thing they have in common is that they're both printers.

Not really a fair comparison though - the Epson is about 5 years older than the Canon Wink

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 2:47 PM

Anyone use the R1400?

Elemobe
Elemobe  636 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 2:59 PM

Useful thread, I am also trying to decide between the Epson & the Canon. Favouring Epson at the moment due to reviews and a neighbour/friend/professional photographer has highly recommended the Epson. I currently have a Canon IP5200 which has been really good.

If/when I do buy an A3 printer, I am going to be buying one of these

Although another lump of money up front, can save a lot in the long run.

Linda

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.