Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

A4 good quality photo printers

19 Nov 2009 8:39AM
Further to my previous request for guidance;thank you!
However, the dilema now is: Epson R800(8 cols.) or the new Canon Pixma4700 (5 col inc. 2 blacks)
Canon 75.00 inc. VAT Epson 238.00 inc Vat.
But the new technology introduced by Canon apparently gives v.good photo comp quality prints and not prone to 'clogging' as the Epsons are apparently prone to.
Any hands on experience out there?
Mike Tuska

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pluffy e2
7 135 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 8:58AM
I have the previous Canon model the IP4600, never clogs even on compatible cartridges. The colour is spot on and makes perfect A$ prints.

I am really satisfied with mine and I also like the facility for printing onto DVD/CD's.

Steve.
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 9:01AM
Your choices seem a little mis-matched there.

The R800 is a more pro -orientated machine, which uses (I Believe - but do check on this) archival inks.

A better match for the Pixma4700 is surly the R285 (6 colours, but only one black)?

I really rate the print quality from the R285. 'Clogging'? It does happen, but not to often for me. The biggest annoyance is that you can sometimes see banding on the print when an ink cartridge is on it's last legs.
DrT01 e2
9 70 Wales
19 Nov 2009 9:08AM
I've just bought a Canon iP4700 to replace an Epson R285 which kept splattering ink over my prints. The Canon is far superior to the Epson. I've also heard that the R800 is an "ink guzzler" and requires constant cleaning. I'm sticking with genuine Canon cartridges at least until the warranty runs out.Used to always have Epson printers but not any more.

Dave
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Nov 2009 11:21AM
Canon Pixma iP4500 ( if they are still available ) iP4600 or iP4700...!

Simples....Smile

Its really a shame that Epson has yet to get the clogging/splattering issues sorted, Because apart from that they can make a reasonable print.

That said I had so much hassle with Epson A4 & A3 printers, I have vowed never to have another one on the premises....Sad
bangalicious e2
7 1.3k 5 England
19 Nov 2009 12:14PM
Vote for the Canon IP range. Reasonably cheap printing with excellent quality. I have the IP4500 and am very impressed with it. That combined with the Canon Inks gives excellent results.
StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
19 Nov 2009 12:26PM
Depending on how much you want to spend and how bothered you are about speed, the lesser Canon model is also an option (I have the ip3600, but this may now be the 3700). The print speed is slower, and there may be a couple of things it doesn't do, but print quality is on a par with its bigger brother (I used to have the ip5000, and this is easily its equal) and it is cheaper.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 12:39PM
The ip4700 is currently available on Amazon for 77 with free delivery.
pablo69 e2
6 201 6 England
19 Nov 2009 1:05PM
As Stuart I have the ip3600, look at photoradar website, in this months photoplus mag canon edtion they have a4 printers on test the ip4700 was best choicemight be worth a look. But as with all things only you can decide which way to go, I paid about 50-60 for my ip3600 the epson p50 was around 70.
I have not had any judges complain about my prints a the club comps.

Paul
19 Nov 2009 10:26PM
Fascinated by all the chat about "clogging" and "spattering"? I've been using an Epson R340 for a few years with no problems whatever and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a hassle free A4 printer.
Kris_Dutson e2
12 8.2k 1 England
19 Nov 2009 10:30PM
I'll add another up for the ip4600. Great little printer and my customers love the prints - what more could you want? Smile
pentaxian e2
5 12 1
20 Nov 2009 2:18PM
I was an Epson user for years and latterly had an R360. Clogged nozzles were commonplace and the print head would cack out after about a year, necessitating a new printer. This happened to me three times.

I have now changed to a Canon Pixma iP4600 and find it is miles better. The nozzles never ever clog and the colour accuracy is far superior. Gone is the blue cast that plagued every print that ever came out of the Epson despite millions of attempts at tweaking it out, and the Canon manages B&W prints that are simply in a different league.

So, no clogged nozzles, better colour accuracy and decent black-and-whites. Plus it is produced prints better than the Epson straight out of the box with no tweaks to the colour controls or contrast or paper type. It also does much better prints on glossy paper than my old R360 and gives more consistent quality and colour across a far wide variety of paper from Ilford to Epson to Tesco, Viking and Sihl.

And the print head can be replaced, meaning I will not have to throw it out in a year's time like I have had to do with every Epson I have ever owned.

In short, I would say go Canon every time. And now that Jet Tec is making compatible cartridges for it that produce superb results, running costs are also reasonable.

I'd never go back to an Epson now.
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2009 4:58PM
It is true that is general, the Canon printers seem to have better feedback on here than the Epson ones, and I will certinally concider Canon whenever I have to make another printer purchase.

However to give some ballance, I have been using epson printers for 10 years now, and have had very few problems.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.