Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

A77 "dying" after start up - users any experience before I buy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Skier
    Skier  11203 forum posts China
    28 Sep 2011 - 8:49 AM

Hi All,

was about to buy an A77 but the shop I went to stopped me. The pretty much said "Don't" (and it is a Sony branded franchise) as they have had some customer problems. Thought it was an excuse for 'no stock' (odd, but this is China as they like to sell anything!) and lost in translation.

However, hunting around the internet we found some local sites and then international sites with users reporting the problem. Seems it will not turn off and even hard reboots do not work. Anyone who has been soak testing an A77 have any experience? Anyone on here with one (Jessops have shipped them) had issues? It seems to occur very early on (not like the old 7D BFF).

From Dyxum
    On DPReview
    On SLR Club
    You Tube

Hypothesis for causing the problems include:

- taking the memory card out whilst shutting down
    - old Sigma or KM Lenses (the latter seemed OK in a Sony store last week when I tried mine)
    - low battery levels (but not a problem when removed) or non Sony batteries
    - changing the lens whilst the camera is still shutting down (which some say takes a while, again, I did not notice in store)

Be good to hear some reassuring comments from those who have been using the equipment here. I know Sydney2 has been using one on long term loan and a chap in NZ had no issues across a weekend with it.

Is this the 'vocal few' like the iPhone antenna problem? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Sep 2011 - 8:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2011 - 9:17 AM

Products with a lot new are often subject to teething problems and also a lot of people are on the look out for the slightest problem. As such if the camera excites you then get it, if you are at all worried wait for a bit. If it is a serious fault then there will be a product recall or firmware update, so your risk will be inconvenience.

Personally I would wait till the big reviews are out and the price softens, so @ 1 years time before looking at it. That way you will not be on the "Bleeding edge" paying for new technology plus others will have performed the de-bug and importantly much of the plus and minus hype and hysteria will be past. To me I am not convinced EVFs are there yet, so I would want to handle it first to see how it "feels" to use the EVF. Also 24MP on an APS sensor? It is not sounding like the best thing to do.

So I would keep my money in the bank and get on and see how it all turns out. An A850 instead if you need a new camera. Or an A580 and save some money, assuming Sony is your bag. Otherwise the old adage, "other brands are also available" applies.

davey_griffo
    28 Sep 2011 - 12:30 PM

It's probably teething troubles on some pro-production test models, since they've only just released it to camera shops.
    Alan (Sydney2) has been raving about it for weeks. Says he wouldn't take a Canon 1D in a straight swap!!
    He's just had a new firmware update.
    Have a word with him if you're in any doubt.

Dave.

Last Modified By davey_griffo at 28 Sep 2011 - 12:32 PM
    Davy793
    Davy793  2 United Kingdom
    28 Sep 2011 - 9:57 PM

Bought mine last Friday and it has taken some time to get to know the EVF/LCD/Finder. All the following lenses have checked out OK - but I never go round changing a lens, or anything else on the camera whilst it is shutting down - which takes about 6 secs - I have changed lenses with it still on. Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 200mm G f2.8, Sony 70-400mm G,Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 16-250mm, Tamron 90mm Macro.
    I found that if I switched the LCD/Finder to manual in the menu I was able to quickly find and focus and today took several sharp shots of seagulls flying using the 70-400mm at 400mm, ISO 400 and were all hand held. There is definitely less vibration than on my A580.
    I think the A580 has less noise from ISO800 onwards but this can be cured in Lightroom 3 if necessary.
    Cannot say I am ecstatic about the camera, but I am enjoying it and liking it more each day as I get to know it - now where's that bloody manual.

Paul_Iddon
    21 Oct 2011 - 12:06 AM

There is a firmware update which has cured the problems:

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/474591

Tjh1023
    Tjh1023  4 United States
    18 Jan 2012 - 3:48 PM

I have an a77 and have not had any problems, i did update the firmware 1.04. I have a couple of times been a little to fast on lens changes and worried I would end up with this issue but the camera hasn't missed a beat. I am very happy with it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.