Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

AA Lithium maybe?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:07 PM

Now I need a loan to get four of these, either Energizer or the new from Duracell, I wondered if anyone has compared rechargeable? My attempts at rechargeable AA were in fairness based on a set a few years back and personally I thought they were next best thing to useless. Maybe advances have been made? I see a plethora for sale now, so got to thinking (as you do), are any of the rechargeable type worth having compared to pre charged?

Mostly used for Flash and other stuff.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:15 PM

Bought a couple of sets of Sanyo Eneloops for a wedding I did last March - only needed one set in my SB800 for fill flash on over 300 photos (and still raring to go). I was very impressed.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014648 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 8:22 PM

I have a dozen batteries similar to Eneloops, but much cheaper, and they last just as long, great.

They're called Enelong, and I got 12 batteries and charger for $35.00 and free shipping in ebay.

chalkhillblue
    chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2013 - 9:16 PM

Another vote for Sanyo Eneloop batteries plus an Accucell 700BC intelligent charger.
    David

bigalguitarpicker

I'm using 7dayshop's version of Eneloops. They hold their charge for weeks, or maybe even months. @mozzytheboy - it's slow discharge rechargeables you need to ask for. When I bought my 4 sets, I also bought a slow charger. Takes 24 hours to fully charge a set up. Apparently quick chargers shorten battery life. My slow charger cost something like 75p. I wouldn't dream of buying non-rechargeables, though I used to carry a set "just in case" before I found out about slow discharge rechargeables.

samueldilworth
    3 Jan 2013 - 11:40 PM

Sanyo eneloop cells are excellent. They come pre-charged and they hold a useful charge for a very long time (years), so unlike conventional NiMH cells, they’re convenient for use in remote controls, radio triggers, or seldom-used flash units.

Sanyo cells have excellent uniformity of internal resistance and capacity in a given batch, so they work reliably in high-drain multi-cell devices like flash units. I think eneloops aren’t unreasonably priced considering their many advantages and high quality. The latest model (HR-3UTGB for the AA size) has a lifespan of about 1800 charge cycles.

As for charging, you can get really geeky about this (I opted for a Maha C9000 WizardOne Intelligent Charger-Analyser). However, a Sanyo kit with eneloop cells and eneloop charger would work fine.

Cheaper options might work too, but I rate Sanyo above everyone when it comes to batteries. They invented many of the basic technologies in rechargeable batteries from the sixties onwards, and today make batteries for electric cars from Volkswagen, Honda, Ford, and others. They know their stuff.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Kako
    Kako  8140 forum posts
    4 Jan 2013 - 12:14 AM

I use Ansmann Pro AA NimH 2850 with a Digi4 fast charger. Batteries will fully charge in about 2 hours relatively safely as charger has a (noisy) fan built in to keep batteries cool whilst charging to extend their useful life. Use these batteries in my Pentax Kx DSLR and get 300-400 shots per set of 4 depending on exact usage and how much viewing i do onscreen. Total investment of approx £40-£45 but will last for 3-4 years before batteries are whacked and the charger should still be working fine. Charger also analyses each battery individually which I would recommend as other wise
    a duff battery can 'hide' within a pairing.

I agree with other posters who also recommend the latest tech Ready To Use rechargeables like Sanyo Eneloop. Lots of makes to choose from here now. JCB do some particularly good value ones.
    You can buy a pack of 6 JCB AA 2100mAh Ready to use rechargeables (4+2 free) for less than £10 which can be used in any Nimh charger. Once charged these retain approx 70-80% of their capacity even after 1 year.

JCB Lithium AA/ AAA are also very good value at about £5 for a pack of 4 if you want ultimate non rechargeable performance.

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2013 - 10:07 AM

Jeez, this is interesting Smile I'll have a pop then at the 2000mAh Eneloops. Charger wise as I'm unlikely to need in a hurry could I do any worse than to run with the Sanyo own Eneloop trickle / overnight charger?

Oh, and just how do you say 'Eneloop?' In my mind I say 'Any-loop.'

adamduckworth
    4 Jan 2013 - 10:29 AM

Compared to lithium AAs, Eneloops recycle way faster in use, last longer and cost pennies to recharge.

And the daddy of battery chargers is one of these. http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/battery-chargers/006-maha-c800s-u-8-cell-sm... . So much better than the standard one.

I have three and a bank of Eneloops in rotation.

Mozzytheboy
    4 Jan 2013 - 10:33 AM

Crikey Adam £50 for a charger, that is one heck of a lot of batteries Smile

collywobles
    4 Jan 2013 - 11:02 AM

Quote: I use Ansmann Pro AA NimH 2850 with a Digi4 fast charger. Batteries will fully charge in about 2 hours relatively safely as charger has a (noisy) fan built in to keep batteries cool whilst charging to extend their useful life

Fully agree with Kako's comments. Have used this for about 8 years with about 36 Ansman batteries. All works extremely well with no problems, bu tnow one or two of the batteries are not holding their charge so well - but after 8 years, who cares! Have really used them a great deal in two 580EX's with no probs

Last Modified By collywobles at 4 Jan 2013 - 11:04 AM
    Mozzytheboy
    5 Jan 2013 - 7:12 AM

Shame the Ansmann charging unit only comes as a two pin plug and you need an adaptor for same which makes it all a bit messy; and according to feedback it does not always fit. I was going to go with that but will I think stick with Eneloops. Just a charger to choose now.

collywobles
    5 Jan 2013 - 9:59 AM

Quote: Shame the Ansmann charging unit only comes as a two pin plug

Dont understand, mine came with a three pin UK plug ??

Mozzytheboy
    5 Jan 2013 - 1:40 PM

Which one Colly? And where did you get? That way I could simply duplicate. All moans when searching are re the two pin plug that does not fit an adaptor without mods.

Mozzy

Mozzytheboy
    5 Jan 2013 - 9:26 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. In the end I went for two sets of Eneloop third generation AA's. And charger wise I had the Technoline BL-700 (UK model). The third gen Eneloops are 1900mAh and charge for 1800 times, holding at least 75% of charge for up to 5 years ....sooooo all the blurb suggests.

The Technoline 700 was as far as my budget would run, so I think it should be fine.

Thanks again everyone.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.