Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Aaaaarghh!! - Olympus

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
8 Nov 2011 - 8:06 PM

In strict compliance with the 1st Principal of Nerdism, i.e. "why use one word when you can use four?", I see that Olympus have now officially designated the camera part that you and I have been happily calling a "sensor" as..... wait for it...... an "image pick up device". *

I kid you not. It is there in black and white in their camera manuals.

Maybe they will soon replace "shutter" with "light ingress timing controller".

Any other suggestions for those buffoons?

* - p98 of PEN E-PL3 Manual

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Nov 2011 - 8:09 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Nov 2011 - 8:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Nov 2011 - 8:12 PM

I's ovvioulsy an error that happened in the japanese to engligh translation. No big deal.

cathal
cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2011 - 8:20 PM

They were too busy redirecting funds to the Caymen Islands to proof read the manual!

PattiW
PattiW e2 Member 9PattiW vcard United States2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2011 - 12:11 AM

I have always loved my Olympus . . . . now . . . . .I am confused . . . .

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2011 - 3:44 PM

Translation is usually at the bottom of the priorities in any budget list, although it shouldn't be - it's more important than people think. And more and more translations of manuals nowadays are machine translations - you know, like Google Translate or Babelfish. If you want quality, you need a good human translator, is what I say. But I would say that, wouldn't I... Wink

ChrisV
ChrisV  7822 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2011 - 6:07 PM

That's in the User's Technical Operations Included Hard Copy Informational Literature, is it?

Could be worse; they could call it a Compact User Notes & Techniques book.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2011 - 6:25 PM

Sometimes the translations can be rather poetic. I once had a manual for a Fujifilm camera which warned about the dangers of using your camera near the sea "where salty wind may blow". I quite liked that.

beeza410
beeza410  432 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hows about the shutter button as "The digital image capture start device", now that would make more sense to me, or am I just weird?

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
10 Nov 2011 - 10:17 AM

Quote: Hows about the shutter button as "The digital image capture start device", now that would make more sense to me, or am I just weird?

In 60 years of photography it never previously occurred to me that the "shutter" button was actually an "opener" button. That's as weird as closing down Windows by clicking on the Start button.

Actually, when I started this thread I did not suspect that it might simply be a quirk that had crept in during the translation from Japanese to English. In fact, I am not sure that it is. Remember what Oscar Wilde said - "All professions are a conspiracy against the laity". And jargon is one of the weapons that professions use in their war against us.

User_Removed
10 Nov 2011 - 10:19 AM

....he also said that "Dancing is merely the vertical expression of a horizontal desire", which is a more interesting concept (and, undoubtedly, true).

Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73373 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2011 - 10:26 AM

I am currently researching the use of Plasma technology in the textile industry. For some reason a lot of the original work has been done in India; trying to understand some of the published papers is a nightmare with their convoluted use of the English language. Quote " the shutter button as "The digital image capture start device"," is actually quite straightforward compared with some of it. Sad

mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2011 - 1:16 PM

Quote: ....he also said that "Dancing is merely the vertical expression of a horizontal desire", which is a more interesting concept (and, undoubtedly, true).

Smile

I'm sure Anton DuBeck would not have agreed with you last year Tongue

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2011 - 1:41 PM

Quote: In 60 years of photography it never previously occurred to me that the "shutter" button was actually an "opener" button.

Depends on how you look at it. It is a button which controls the shutter, which is the device that shuts off the light from entering the camera when you are not taking a photo. Perfectly logical, especially when you consider the similarities with window shutters on houses. Smile

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
10 Nov 2011 - 3:53 PM

Camera Strap - imaging device suspender belt

Viewfinder - aspect appropriator

Depth of Field Button - image extent facilitator

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
10 Nov 2011 - 4:00 PM

Mode Wheel - disposition proturberance

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.