Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

aarrrghh.....Amazon!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Scarab
Scarab  2 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2011 - 8:40 AM

Ordered a significant amount of electronics from them the other day, amongst which is a Nikon J1 and 3 lenses, another Nikkor lens for my D80, an iPod Touch and lots of presents for the wife and kid.

Had it delivered to work as that's manned from 0600-1930 so better than home where there's nobody all day.

Come into work this morning to find a soggy parcel in the middle of the yard and our security man staring at it, its so wet the box has fallen away and so has all the packaging inside, revealing a smashed camera lens and a thoroughly broken iPod Touch.

We check the CCTV and it clearly shows at 20:00 last night a courier pulling up in a van, seeing it's all shut up and throwing the parcel 25 feet, over a 10ft security fence topped with barbed wire, and landing square in a huge 2 inch deep puddle, all in the middle of a huge thunderstorm. Then skidding his van out of the car park.

Call Amazon this morning and apparently it's nothing to do with them! I need to get in contact with their courier, do that and now as it's near Christmas they are using Sub-contractors so they can't immediately find out who it was and if it's been marked as delivered so I need to write to them and allow them 45 days to determine if it is their fault or not.

Told them I have CCTV footage of it being done, and they aren't interested at all as they have no mechanism in place for receiving and viewing CCTV footage.

Can't afford to re-order it all again (it's in the thousands) and so it's going to be months before its sorted.

Does anyone have any experiences of complaining to Amazon and are able to advise how best to proceed?

I am absolutely fuming and if I don't get this sorted quickly then Christmas for a lot of my family is going to be ruined.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2011 - 8:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7832 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 8:46 AM

See the Citizens Advice Bureau and get in touch with Trading Standards Office for quick advice then proceed from there. Possibly mentioning you've obtained advice from a solicitor and you will take them to court as the evidence is so cut and dry will speed things along.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 8:53 AM

I would go straight to AMAZON head office and directors........threaten to put the footage on YouTube and on National TV....Phone BBC Watchdog....just the kind of thing they like............your local BBC radio station or TV studio love this kind of thing too.......Shame Amazon into swift action.....you still have time on your side....act quickly today:

Hobbo

MrGoatsmilk
16 Dec 2011 - 8:56 AM

It is Amazon who have to sort this out your contract is with them and not the courier company. Plus you have distance selling rules on your side.

Also did you pay on either a Credit card or even a Visa debit card? As with either you can get the money back via a charge back. Speak to the bank your card is with and they will sort it for you.

HTH

Stu

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
16 Dec 2011 - 8:56 AM

Amazon will dodge the bullets but they should bear some responsibility for the couriers they choose to deliver their products - all part of customer care you'd have thought. Unfortunately they are too big with not enough competition in the marketplace to be worried about what happens after the money is in their account.

As above, contact CA to see if you can at least get your money back quickly - that's the only thing that'll make Amazon sit up & listen. You may be in with a better chance if you paid with a credit card.

Good luck, Ian.

MrGoatsmilk
16 Dec 2011 - 8:58 AM

Quote: I would go straight to AMAZON head office and directors........threaten to put the footage on YouTube and on National TV....Phone BBC Watchdog....just the kind of thing they like............your local BBC radio station or TV studio love this kind of thing too.......Shame Amazon into swift action.....you still have time on your side....act quickly today:

Hobbo

When it's all sorted I would still post the video on Youtube with a summary of the problems you have had with Amazon as people need to know when companies operate like this.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123860 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 9:00 AM

you have all sorts of things on your side; if it was me I would throw the book at them; Amazon are directly liable; show them this thread, you can even cancel the order under Distant Selling Regulations; somebody on Amazon's side is just trying it on; go for them.

If all else fails the mere threat of a small claims action seems to concentrate hearts and minds wonderfully but that should be a last recourse and if you threaten such an action you have to be prepared to go through with it.

Last Modified By peterjones at 16 Dec 2011 - 9:01 AM
MrGoatsmilk
16 Dec 2011 - 9:04 AM

Your rights when paying by Credit card and Debit card

Chargeback on credit and debit cards

MikeA
MikeA  91151 forum posts England
16 Dec 2011 - 10:45 AM

Quote: Amazon will dodge the bullets but they should bear some responsibility for the couriers they choose to deliver their products - all part of customer care you'd have thought. Unfortunately they are too big with not enough competition in the marketplace to be worried about what happens after the money is in their account.

As above, contact CA to see if you can at least get your money back quickly - that's the only thing that'll make Amazon sit up & listen. You may be in with a better chance if you paid with a credit card.

Good luck, Ian.

Does not matter what you have on your side the fact is they are bigger than you, but good luck anyway, hope things turn out ok for you before Christmas.

Last Modified By MikeA at 16 Dec 2011 - 10:46 AM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 10:51 AM

My dealings with Amazon have always been positive. When a parcel turned up empty (because one of the postal workers decided it would make a nice Christmas present) they posted a new one out immediately.

I would say try their customer service team again and if you initially get no satisfaction you will take it further. It may be that you were just unlucky with the rep you spoke to first time round.

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41029 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England133 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 10:57 AM

Quote: My dealings with Amazon have always been positive. When a parcel turned up empty (because one of the postal workers decided it would make a nice Christmas present) they posted a new one out immediately.

I would say try their customer service team again and if you initially get no satisfaction you will take it further. It may be that you were just unlucky with the rep you spoke to first time round.

Likewise, I have always had positive dealings, even when I was in the wrong once. Try customer services again, and then a supervisor there, but always get the name of to whom you spoke and make a note at the time of what advice you were given whilst the exact words are still fresh in your mind.

Scarab
Scarab  2 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2011 - 11:04 AM

Rang them and insisted that I talk to a manager in a UK call centre, finally got through to one. I told them I had the footage ready to upload to youtube and to send to the BBC News Website and Watchdog.

They have given me 50 in compensation and said that I'll have all the replacements by tomorrow at 9am, and that they'll contact me at a later date to arrange the return of the broken items.

All in all not a bad result, but it's a shame I had to threaten them to get it done.

Well done Amazon, lets hope they give the courier a kicking before he does it again!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2011 - 11:20 AM

Quote: All in all not a bad result, but it's a shame I had to threaten them to get it done.

It is a shame but based upon my experience with them I think you may have just dropped unlucky with the rep to whom you spoke before and that, as we speak (or type), said rep will be getting a kicking.

I buy from Amazon even when they are slightly dearer, because I know any problems are dealt with hassle free.

Glad you got it sorted.

MrGoatsmilk
16 Dec 2011 - 11:58 AM

Good to hear it's sorted thanks for the update.

Would love to see the CCTV footage though

bangalicious
16 Dec 2011 - 12:02 PM

Glad you got it sorted.

Would be interested to know the ins and outs of the courier though; why they would treat a delivery like that is beyond me?
Not excusing them, but they may have thought that what ever they were delivering was business related and not prone to damage? Rather than thousands of s worth of electronic goodies. Doesnt excuse the attitude though!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.