Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Abandoned Building with Asbestos Warning

teabelly 3 32 England
15 Oct 2012 10:05PM
I got abandoned myself recently after going to see an abandoned building which when we arrived had an Asbestos Warning Signs. My mate spent two hours in there I spent two hours enjoying the surrounding countryside as I refused to go in, since then she has said I was a "chicken" she does not seem concerned in the least.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

15 Oct 2012 10:11PM
I don't think it's any of her business whether you go in or not. If you want to stay out of a dangerous building and she doesn't, who is the sensible one?
15 Oct 2012 10:14PM
If she saw some of the patients I take to hospital with asbestos related illnesses she probably wouldn't be laughing. The signs are there for a reason. There are some fantastic photos of abandoned buildings to be had but if you're not an expert with asbestos leave well alone and well done you for having the sense to keep out. Wink
Keith (paramedic)
wrinkles e2
5 351 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 10:21PM
I've worked with asbestos,and wonder what could happen too me.

My advice is keep away.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 10:29PM
I would say it depends. For example a lot of asbestos is fine unless you disturb it. It used to crop up all over the place in toilet seats and floor tiles etc. Often it is found in roofing materials and often it is declared safe, until it starts to break up or you break it up. In the case of the old building it is most likely to be the stuff that is safe until you break it up. If it were the more dangerous fibres they would be made to clean it up instantly. Plus it is also probably a great way to deter trespassers.

Some info if it helps.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 10:42PM
Such bravado that hopefully will have no effect on her heath, not now, but in many years time.

I lost a friend who was sent to work in an asbestos area being told that there was no risk.He ended up almost a skeleton. All strictly controlled now hence the sign you observed.

As long as you don't disturb the fibres its reasonably safe where in this case even walking around would disturb it if there is asbestos lying on the floor.

Good for you keeping out remaining a healthy "chicken"

Quote:expert with asbestos

Requiring breathing apparatus and protective clothing.
stevenb e2
11 260 6 England
15 Oct 2012 10:57PM
Stay well clear from asbestos, wish there had been more signs up when I was a young lad, Then I wouldn't be walking around with a oxygen mask on today.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
15 Oct 2012 11:02PM
I remember seeing laggers at work.

They mixed up the asbestos and cement in a open bucket and then spread the mixture with their hands - no mask and sometimes no gloves.
15 Oct 2012 11:05PM
They are the ones I feel sorry for. They knew no different. In this case there are signs which should be heeded.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 11:12PM
Yes I feel sorry for those workers, like the miners who did not understand the problems they would get etc.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
16 Oct 2012 6:58AM
I watched documentaries on building demolition and the 'white mice' .. Men who took buildings apart that were riddled with asbestos and they were covered in a white powder ... If only they knew what they were letting themselves in for. The disease can crop up many many years later .. It's like ticking time bomb that can occur from small exposure.
16 Oct 2012 9:20AM
I frequentley go into abandoned buildings to photograph or Urbex as its known as. Just look at my portfolio. But there are some considerations.

I will always take a FP3 face mask and respirator with me. If i see loads of fibres floating around typically in hospital service tunnels i will look for another access point.

If your that worried, dont go in. But if your sensible and dont touch or disturb it and where your mask you will be fine.

Teabelly, could you give me a location and type of this building? If its any good i may want to visit it.
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 9:36AM

Quote:I would say it depends. For example a lot of asbestos is fine unless you disturb it. It used to crop up all over the place in toilet seats and floor tiles etc. Often it is found in roofing materials and often it is declared safe, until it starts to break up or you break it up. In the case of the old building it is most likely to be the stuff that is safe until you break it up. If it were the more dangerous fibres they would be made to clean it up instantly. Plus it is also probably a great way to deter trespassers.

Some info if it helps.

Correct, Crysotile cement, often present in asbestos cement boards as with amosite boards is Ok as long as you do not attempt to break them up. Thus no dust particles are released into the breathable atmosphere. What would concern me is that any property containing any other form of asbestos, ie limpid crocidolite, loose crysotile material or loose amosite (amosite was also very often contained in old cisterns and old floor tiles therefore hard to discern but safe if not disturbed), should be properly sealed off so that access is impossible. That is the law. The signs there are also a legal requirement, whether of the safer type of not. All asbestos has to be identified and marked as such and nowhere where it is present is to be accessible to anybody at all.

I am also surprised that any buildings are allowed to be left in this manner. All buildings are controlled by somebody, usually the local council
which should be aware of this situation and furthermore, should deal with it when left abandoned. These buildings in such cases, (dereliction) should be demolition, naturally by licenced asbestos contractors working under the current asbestos regulations legislation.

The law states that asbestos has to be managed, not removed, but in such circumstances, demolition would be the only option available. FP3 respirable masks alone are not suitable for exposure to asbestos in this situation, what about your clothing? Where can you safely dispose of your mask beforer leaving the place, you do not want to take it home together with your contaminated clothing with dust on to expose your family do you? Do you leave it there to expose people following you? If the asbestos is of unknown type, I would suggest you stay away. If you know its type (from the buildings 'asbestos register') deal with it professionally or again, stay away. Nasty stuff particularly Crocidolite (Blue asbestos).
teabelly 3 32 England
16 Oct 2012 10:07AM
It is frightening to know that it was used so frequently in everyday products and it is causing so much pain and worry today, I am sorry Steven that this has effected you so badly.

The site was in Cheshire an old Building, that was not really secure as Dog walkers were using the grounds and the buildings were all open no doors or windows left. Perhaps people don't worry when these buildings as easily so accessible? On top of that if she takes a good photograph she then "moves" elements so nobody else can take the same photograph - words fail me!!!

Her disregard of my feelings after this day has put me off going out with her, I guess her car could have asbestos fibres in it ???

Thanks for all your replies on the subject.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 10:35AM
Its your choice and your body so stick to what makes you most comfortable. Do you want the next 20 years worrying if it affects you?

I have read that different types of asbestos affect you at varying levels and maybe your warning one was very dangerous - We had an asbestos roof on our old shed and have one on the garage of the new place. I'm at some risk from this (white asbestos) as I removed the old one while wearing a mask, dampening it down first and took it down the local dump wrapped in tarpaulin. When getting there (I'd phoned beforehand) they just said oh yeah just throw it in that container over there and close the door after. So I carefully placed it in this dusty container and left as quick as possible - ask me in 20 years if Keith above is taking me to hospital - i may be OK I may not, but then I'm not to much of a worrier.
The roof looks stable but I hope to be knocking that garage down next year so will be re-reading up on best practice for removal and disposal again. Costs will dictate whether I do it myself or have others do it professionally.

Only ever do what you are comfortable with and if you are at all unsure look up loads of safety info beforehand.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.