Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Access

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Nov 2006 11:04AM
Other than Microsoft Access, what is the best software for doing database stuff?
Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SimPick 9 545 2 Azerbaijan
1 Nov 2006 11:18AM
Oracle. You can download a cut-down version for free off the Oracle website, but it all depends on what you what to do with it. Do you need to develop a front-end application ? You also need to have a good understanding of SQL and the PL/SQL language to get it to anything meaningful.

If you do not know much about databases, stick with Access.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Nov 2006 11:26AM
Know nothing about database.
What I need is to have a software to store customers data/projects quoted that will allow our group members to access to.
Dont know if that makes sense.
davyc 10 230 Scotland
1 Nov 2006 11:27AM
There's also the free Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition .

As Simon said though, it really depends on what you want to do with it. If it's a web application you're interested in then it's perfect as a back end database as they also give away Visual Web Developer Express free as well.

I'd agree with Simon again that if you're new to databases then Access is probably a good starting point.

* Typed too slow to see your reply there. Having seen it I'd say definitely use Access as my thoughts on solutions above would be a lot more work for a novice.
SimPick 9 545 2 Azerbaijan
1 Nov 2006 11:44AM
It is also a very important point to take into consideration as to how much data you will want to store. If you only have a small amount of data, you are probably better creating an Excel spreadsheet rather than a database application.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Nov 2006 11:46AM
OK.
thanks all.
Elimare 9 12
1 Nov 2006 12:07PM
Borland Interbase is a also a good program for database applications. But it's not as easy to handle, more a program for developers. So I would also recommend for the beginning MS Access.

Elimare
cliffi 8 3
1 Nov 2006 12:51PM
You could also try Alpha 5 Version 7 database software www.alphasoftware.com
It has a free 30 day trial download available and lots of comparisons on the site with MS Access and other db applications. It is very user friendly, I bought the application at the end of the trial period, after using the wizards you can have a database up and running in about half the time it takes to do so in Access. They are currently running price specials because they are bringing out Version 8 shortly.

Hope this helps
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
1 Nov 2006 1:10PM
Filemaker Pro 8.5
ahollowa 10 1.1k England
1 Nov 2006 1:47PM
If you know nothing about databases I would either go with an excel spreadsheet (maybe use a workbook per customer and store them on a central server). Or look at what software others in you industry use. If it is custom written for your industry sector it should have most of the fields already specified and save you from coding a front end.

cheers

Al.
Saxon Marsh 11 290 England
1 Nov 2006 1:58PM
If only a simple database is required, what about Microsoft Works? - Keith
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
1 Nov 2006 2:59PM
Thanks all.
Decided to go for Access.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Nov 2006 4:12PM
Another vote for FileMaker Pro. First class product IMO... You can download trial...

Smile))

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.