Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Access

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:04 AM

Other than Microsoft Access, what is the best software for doing database stuff?
    Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:18 AM

Oracle. You can download a cut-down version for free off the Oracle website, but it all depends on what you what to do with it. Do you need to develop a front-end application ? You also need to have a good understanding of SQL and the PL/SQL language to get it to anything meaningful.

If you do not know much about databases, stick with Access.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:26 AM

Know nothing about database.
    What I need is to have a software to store customers data/projects quoted that will allow our group members to access to.
    Dont know if that makes sense.

davyc
    davyc  9230 forum posts Scotland
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:27 AM

There's also the free Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

As Simon said though, it really depends on what you want to do with it. If it's a web application you're interested in then it's perfect as a back end database as they also give away Visual Web Developer Express free as well.

I'd agree with Simon again that if you're new to databases then Access is probably a good starting point.

* Typed too slow to see your reply there. Having seen it I'd say definitely use Access as my thoughts on solutions above would be a lot more work for a novice.

SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:44 AM

It is also a very important point to take into consideration as to how much data you will want to store. If you only have a small amount of data, you are probably better creating an Excel spreadsheet rather than a database application.

Coleslaw
    1 Nov 2006 - 11:46 AM

OK.
    thanks all.

Elimare
    Elimare  9
    1 Nov 2006 - 12:07 PM

Borland Interbase is a also a good program for database applications. But it's not as easy to handle, more a program for developers. So I would also recommend for the beginning MS Access.

Elimare

cliffi
    cliffi  8
    1 Nov 2006 - 12:51 PM

You could also try Alpha 5 Version 7 database software www.alphasoftware.com
    It has a free 30 day trial download available and lots of comparisons on the site with MS Access and other db applications. It is very user friendly, I bought the application at the end of the trial period, after using the wizards you can have a database up and running in about half the time it takes to do so in Access. They are currently running price specials because they are bringing out Version 8 shortly.

Hope this helps

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2006 - 1:10 PM

Filemaker Pro 8.5

ahollowa
    ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
    1 Nov 2006 - 1:47 PM

If you know nothing about databases I would either go with an excel spreadsheet (maybe use a workbook per customer and store them on a central server). Or look at what software others in you industry use. If it is custom written for your industry sector it should have most of the fields already specified and save you from coding a front end.

cheers

Al.

Saxon Marsh
    1 Nov 2006 - 1:58 PM

If only a simple database is required, what about Microsoft Works? - Keith

Coleslaw
    1 Nov 2006 - 2:59 PM

Thanks all.
    Decided to go for Access.

User_Removed
    1 Nov 2006 - 4:12 PM

Another vote for FileMaker Pro. First class product IMO... You can download trial...

Smile))

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.