Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

accessing lightroom 5 presets

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
comma
comma  692 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 10:10 PM

hi folks, I'm looking for some assistance. I've just purchased Lightroom 5 and trying to work my way round it, but I dont seem to be getting anywhere with the presets. When I'm in the develop module- here's what happens. I've got an image up. I expand the presets menu, then a series of what look like expandable sub headings appear e.g. Lightroom black and white filter presets, click on this menu sub heading and quick as a flash nothing happens. I basically hit a dead end.

Basically looking for advice on what I should see - should nothing happen (seems pointless) what am I missing - and if something is wrong where do I go for a fix.

Thanks in advance

stuart

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jul 2013 - 10:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 10:22 PM

When you expand the sub headings you should be seeing this.

expand.jpg

Hover over them with a mouse to see a preview of the effect, click on one, say for example, the Orange Filter to apply it.

comma
3 Jul 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thanks and yep I thought I should see something like that. Clicking the sub heading doesn't expand the presets list the way you have it. Do I need to do an import activate them somehow?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 10:48 PM

Quote: Clicking the sub heading doesn't expand the presets list the way you have it.

Sad In which case I cannot offer any further guidance as I have never had that situation occur and have no idea what could be the problem.

Jestertheclown
3 Jul 2013 - 10:55 PM

Quote: Hover over them with a mouse to see a preview of the effect,

I've got the list but hovering over one (or any) of them doesn't do anything.

To see what a preset will do, I have to actually apply it . . . ?

comma
3 Jul 2013 - 11:00 PM

Quote: Hover over them with a mouse to see a preview of the effect,
I've got the list but hovering over one (or any) of them doesn't do anything.

To see what a preset will do, I have to actually apply it . . . ?

I'm jealous that you can get this far Wink

Jestertheclown
3 Jul 2013 - 11:00 PM

Quote: Clicking the sub heading doesn't expand the presets list the way you have it.

Are you clicking on the sub-heading itself; ie. the writing, or on the little triangular arrow?

You need to click on that triangular arrow. Clicking on the writing doesn't open anything, which seems to be what you're describing.

Just a thought.

Bren.

comma
3 Jul 2013 - 11:06 PM

Are you clicking on the sub-heading itself; ie. the writing, or on the little triangular arrow?

You need to click on that triangular arrow. Clicking on the writing doesn't open anything, which seems to be what you're describing.

Just a thought.

Bren.

yep works a treat... now .. do I feel like a total............... Blush

many thanks

stuart

ps the hover thing doesn't work for me either.

comma
3 Jul 2013 - 11:24 PM

if you open the navigator and hover over the preset you see a small preview of the preset......

Jestertheclown
3 Jul 2013 - 11:32 PM

Quote: If you open the navigator and hover over the preset you see a small preview of the preset......

Aha!

I'd assumed, wrongly, that the main image would change.

lemmy
lemmy  61673 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 - 11:47 PM

Quote: yep works a treat... now .. do I feel like a total...............

Don't. With digital cameras and all their controls and highly inolved software like Lightroom it's often more difficult to find out how to do something than to actually do it.

Sometimes I know exactly what I want to do but I just don't know what it's called and therefore how to look it up. And unfortunately some expert photographers are as prone to using acronyms and abbreviations and jargon as business comnsultants.

I have written a small book on the menu of a particular camera which teels you nothing that the menu or Youtube experts don't but does do it in the English that the rest of us speak. It's selling well!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103957 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2013 - 7:03 AM

I only have LR4, but you can also click on each preset and see the main image change..it's not cumulative...so you just pick the one you like......and don't forget you can create your own too (called user presets) Smile

milo42
milo42  United Kingdom
4 Jul 2013 - 2:01 PM

Re seeing the effect of presets on an image

You could also try this LR plugin http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/DevPresetLabLrPlugin/ this will allow you to select an image then select a bunch of presets it will then create one virtual copy of the image and apply the preset to it, once for each selected preset this way with a couple of clicks you get to be able to compare the effect of many presets on an image side by side and select the one that suits you best.
FYI it does a bit more as well and also don't select too many presets each time, in my experience 12 seems to be a good number.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103957 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2013 - 2:48 PM

Quote: Re seeing the effect of presets on an image

You could also try this LR plugin http://www.robcole.com/Rob/ProductsAndServices/DevPresetLabLrPlugin/ this will allow you to select an image then select a bunch of presets it will then create one virtual copy of the image and apply the preset to it, once for each selected preset this way with a couple of clicks you get to be able to compare the effect of many presets on an image side by side and select the one that suits you best.
FYI it does a bit more as well and also don't select too many presets each time, in my experience 12 seems to be a good number.

Thanks for that Chris...have downloaded it ...it looks very useful (Has one small glitch which I have reported back). GrinGrinGrin

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
4 Jul 2013 - 3:52 PM

Quote: Re seeing the effect of presets on an image

FYI it does a bit more as well and also don't select too many presets each time, in my experience 12 seems to be a good number.Thanks for that Chris...have downloaded it ...it looks very useful (Has one small glitch which I have reported back). GrinGrinGrin

That does look interesting. Will have a look at it.

Thanks for link.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.