Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Achieving 300ppi

24 Aug 2011 1:52PM
Hi,
Is there anyway that I can increase my captured images to 300ppi at the point of capture? When I use JPEG and open the image in Photoshop (elements or CS5) the ppi is 72. With RAW I get 240ppi.

Cameras in question are 30D and 5D mark ii

thanks
Caroline

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 2:21PM
Hi Caroline

PPI is totally irrelevant until you want to output the image onto a printer. Cameras do not care about ppi and just concentrate on actual pixel sizes.

PPI is only a setting which tells a printer how tightly to pack the pixels from the image into the output. The higher the number the more tightly packed your image will be and therefore the higher the quality will be.

In fact, it wouldn't matter if you never changed the ppi setting as long as you tell the printer what the output size was (eg 297mm x 210mm).

Hope that helps.

Ian
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 2:23PM
Oh by the way, in case you aren't aware. PPI = Pixels per inch and is the term used to denote display resolution. DPI = Dots per inch and is the term used for printer resolution.

The only control you have over display resolution is to change the settings on your monitor (eg 1024x768), the setting embedded in the image has no bearing on the matter.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2011 2:47PM
Ian is bang on, it doesn't alter the quality or the resolution of your picture. If you're not careful and you change it and the picture gets resampled (pixels invented or discarded) you will damage the picture quality.

Have a read of this and this
24 Aug 2011 3:04PM
Thanks Chris
I was getting myself all in a tiswas about the requirements from microstock companies - prob best to read the small print again

Cheers Chaps

Caroline
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
24 Aug 2011 3:40PM
Caroline, just switch the resolution to 300ppi in Photoshop, making sure that resampling is switched off. The file size and pixel dimensions shouldn't change, although the 'document size' will.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.