Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Achieving 300ppi

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Caroline63
    24 Aug 2011 - 1:52 PM

Hi,
    Is there anyway that I can increase my captured images to 300ppi at the point of capture? When I use JPEG and open the image in Photoshop (elements or CS5) the ppi is 72. With RAW I get 240ppi.

Cameras in question are 30D and 5D mark ii

thanks
    Caroline

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Aug 2011 - 1:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2011 - 2:21 PM

Hi Caroline

PPI is totally irrelevant until you want to output the image onto a printer. Cameras do not care about ppi and just concentrate on actual pixel sizes.

PPI is only a setting which tells a printer how tightly to pack the pixels from the image into the output. The higher the number the more tightly packed your image will be and therefore the higher the quality will be.

In fact, it wouldn't matter if you never changed the ppi setting as long as you tell the printer what the output size was (eg 297mm x 210mm).

Hope that helps.

Ian

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2011 - 2:23 PM

Oh by the way, in case you aren't aware. PPI = Pixels per inch and is the term used to denote display resolution. DPI = Dots per inch and is the term used for printer resolution.

The only control you have over display resolution is to change the settings on your monitor (eg 1024x768), the setting embedded in the image has no bearing on the matter.

User_Removed
    24 Aug 2011 - 2:47 PM

Ian is bang on, it doesn't alter the quality or the resolution of your picture. If you're not careful and you change it and the picture gets resampled (pixels invented or discarded) you will damage the picture quality.

Have a read of this and this

Caroline63
    24 Aug 2011 - 3:04 PM

Thanks Chris
    I was getting myself all in a tiswas about the requirements from microstock companies - prob best to read the small print again

Cheers Chaps

Caroline

GlennH
    GlennH  91889 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2011 - 3:40 PM

Caroline, just switch the resolution to 300ppi in Photoshop, making sure that resampling is switched off. The file size and pixel dimensions shouldn't change, although the 'document size' will.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.