Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Action shots

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Simonp2013
25 Feb 2013 - 11:08 PM

That's the type of picture I'm wanting to catch. Grin. Just need to sort the camera and practice !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Feb 2013 - 11:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simonp2013
25 Feb 2013 - 11:21 PM

Is 12mp sufficient for these types of shot or am will I need more, bearing in mind I only intend to print to A4 size.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 11:22 PM

If your going to a race day and wanting photographs of the cars, I would suggest trying to implement blurr but in the right places, like the wheels to give a sense of speed.
This is done by getting your shutter speed down to around 1/100th of a sec, to achieve this put your ISO as low as it will go, say 100 and your aperture up until you achieve the shutter speed required to blurr the wheels, you will need to pan shoot, this requires you to follow the car through the view finder and as the car comes along take a series of shots, with any luck you'll get the car sharp and it's wheel and background blurry giving a real sense of speed.
worth a try if you know your way round your camera.
other than that stick it on auto and just let the camera do the work.

Quote: Is 12mp sufficient for these types of shot or am will I need more, bearing in mind I only intend to print to A4 size.

More than ample

Last Modified By ianrobinson at 25 Feb 2013 - 11:26 PM
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73305 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 11:22 PM

Another shot of Sheds getting some very close attention from a Vauxhall.
I knew where the cars would be & prefocussed on the spot then fired as they came over the hill.

img-5904small.jpg

Half the battle is knowing where to be to get the best shots. This was taken at the prime spot at Knockhill, as the cars come over the hill after the chicane. Had to get there early & bag the lens sized hole in the catch fencing.

12mp is more than enough. These were taken on a 10mp camera.

Last Modified By adrian_w at 25 Feb 2013 - 11:24 PM
Simonp2013
25 Feb 2013 - 11:29 PM

They are cracking shots !! Would they print out as crisp on A4 ?

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73305 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2013 - 11:36 PM

Yes from the full sized files. These are reduced to fit EPZ size requirements.

Just looked at the exif data for the last one, 1/1000 sec at f6.3, taken in aperture priority setting.

Last Modified By adrian_w at 25 Feb 2013 - 11:39 PM
mike5537
mike5537  1 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 - 9:56 AM

With luck something interesting happens right in front of you!

adrian_w
26 Feb 2013 - 10:08 AM

Quote: With luck something interesting happens right in front of you!

pettit3s.jpg pettit gets a nudge up the back
1-pettit4s.jpg into the barrier straight in front of me.
1-img-5826small.jpg

gaelldew
gaelldew  7270 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 - 11:25 AM

Have you had a look at MPB Photographic for second hand DSLRs, they usually give a Guarantee with them too. You know what your budget is but worth having a look on there, very good to deal with and possibility of Part Exchange too.

Simonp2013
26 Feb 2013 - 6:32 PM

There are some cracking shots there guys, I would love to be able to capture shots like those. I've managed to a s1600 from a well known auction site for 50 which will hopefully be enough for me to get started on. It had pretty good reviews on another online retail site and for the money seems a bargain.

If it arrives in time and the weather holds up I'm hoping to get out to the country at the weekend and going to try taking various shots to and see what I / the camera can do.

Simonp2013
7 Sep 2013 - 9:32 PM

I've been using the s1600 for a bit now and I've managed to take some reasonable shots and the ones that go wrong I can see why sort of. What I'm still struggling with is action shots I've tried a few different settings but they are either blurred or things have passed. I've decided to change cameras to increase pixel size to between 12-16, increase optical zoom (theses are just make it as functional as possible. I want a view finder as well as screen that has proved useful when the sun has been bright. I also want a camera with a fast shooting speed to catch the action. Budget wise I'm looking between 120-200, which I know is not a lot but with a bit of shopping around should be enough. I don't take pictures everyday but I am using the camera more than I have done before do what would you suggest. I've looked at Fuji due to viewfinder (s4500 & 4200) and the Olympus 820uz due to the fast action shooting capabilities.

Last Modified By Simonp2013 at 7 Sep 2013 - 9:41 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Simonp2013
11 Sep 2013 - 6:54 PM

Also seen the fuji SL300 and the Pentax x5 if anybody can offer any advice or guidance.

colinUK
colinUK  5 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 - 7:22 PM

It IS possible to get photos with a bridge camera BUT they have a shutter lag so what you see is not always what you get due to the time delay... The info above is good and a good way of getting photos as you can see from the excellent sample.

I would go with a cheap DSLR oldest Nikon is D70 only 6.1 MP but enough for A4 no doubt Canon have an older model too. As a Nikon user I would look at perhaps an old film 70-300mm lens which will work and should be cheap, ensure it is AF

Your idea of trying panning at roundabouts is good as it is car size objects you want, pick up prior to where you wish to shoot, take the shot while panning and carry on panning after the shot.

Shutter speed is best around 1/200th sec and balance f stop and ISO or put it on P and let it do the work, then copy down the details and try manual settings White Balance look up! I change wb all the time at a race track.

Good luck let me know if you go to Oulton Park.... Colin

colinUK
colinUK  5 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2013 - 11:40 AM

2013-05-05-11-40.jpg

Taken at Cadwell park using an old 70 -300 kit type lens on D300 as weather was Damp/wet, and that could be sacrificed!

BSB meeting

Simonp2013
16 Sep 2013 - 9:27 PM

I'm off to Silverstone in a couple of weeks so I'm going to clear all memory cards and take as many pictures as possible using different settings and see if I can find what works. I'm also going to try positioning on corners again so the cars are at least slower as I'm taking shots. The last time I struggled panning and matching speed somthismwill hopefully give me a chance to practice panning whilst the cars are moving a bit slower.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.