Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

adding colour to black and white

jonnyrok 5 7 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2011 5:08PM
hi , can anyone please help as i am trying to ad a touch of colour to a black and white photo, do i need photoshop or will one of the cheeper ones do from ebay.i bought one from ebay that said it did all of the things photoshop did but i just carnt seem to rwap my head round the program !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2011 5:46PM
try Adobe Elements ; much less expensive that the full version and probably will do 95% of what you can do in the full program.
5 Mar 2011 11:40AM
Or download Gimp for free. Is the photo your working with in black and white or do you have a full colour version to work from, adding colour to a b+w only version may not work so well depending on the tones.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
5 Mar 2011 11:57AM

Quote:try Adobe Elements; much less expensive that the full version and probably will do 95% of what you can do in the full program.

I think you'll find that 95%'s a little ambitious PJ. Elements is a lot cheaper for a reason.

GIMP's OK (as a poor relation to Photoshop) if you can get in with the strange interface.

You might like to look at Pixlr. as another alternative. That does much the same as GIMP does and it's web based so there's no need to instal it to use it.

Jester.
nexus7 4 12 Australia
19 Mar 2012 4:38AM
Paint Shop Pro will do what you want.
Create a layer, change to B & W, then paint over tthe area you want coloured.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.