Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Adding text to an image

ENGLISHSKIN 7 187
9 Nov 2010 1:36PM
I'll try explain as best possible...... i have lots of images that i want to add text to. I understand how to do this and using layers etc but is there a way of having the text on one layer ( say in black) and when the text goes over a black part of the image then it turns to white ? I dont know if this is possible but would help me out a great deal if it was Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2010 1:39PM
highlight the text you want white and change the colour...
EddieAC 9 685 2 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2010 4:25PM
You could also try creating a new layer above your text and then by clipping this to your text layer you will be able to use the paintbrush to change the colour of the text. You will have to highlight both layers though if you need to move the text around.

You can also try creating an invert adjustment layer and clipping it to your text and then changing the text layers blending mode to difference. This seems to invert the text according to what is below it.
9 Nov 2010 6:24PM
Create a duplicate layer, add your text layer on top with the text in white, switch the text layer blend mode to difference. That'll work ok in some cases, but you may (depending on image) have to select your text, switch to the duplicate layer and desaturate the area behind the text on some colour images, you may even have to use threshold on the duplicate layer (behind the text)
Waynetn-untitled-1.jpg

dscn2478-copy.jpg

ENGLISHSKIN 7 187
9 Nov 2010 10:13PM
Thanks - i'll give them a try
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
9 Nov 2010 11:11PM
Hey!
Nice one Wayne!
I've wondered if this was possible on more than one occasion and now I know!
Cheers,
Jester.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.