Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe Camera RAW

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    4 Dec 2012 - 10:34 PM

Is it possible to utilise the Adobe Camera RAW plug in with older versions of Photoshop (7) (by fair means or foul) ? I just want to be able to get my NEF files into Photoshop in PSD format without having to spend hundreds of pounds on a new Photoshop style package.

BOB

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Dec 2012 - 10:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9684 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 11:45 PM

As far as I know there is no way to access Camera RAW in Photoshop 7. I think that the Camera RAW is only supported from Photoshop CS2 and Elements 3 onward.

Your camera should have been packaged with a basic raw converter. This should be called Nikon view although it will only perform basic conversions. If memory serves, it can save as tiff files which you can then import into photoshop 7.

Picasa will also convert raw files from your D100.

I also found AVS Image Converter 2.3 with a google search and this seems to be able to convert NEF files directly to PSD.

Last Modified By EddieAC at 5 Dec 2012 - 1:54 AM
    saxon_image
    5 Dec 2012 - 8:03 AM

There is a useful free RAW tool worth looking at - RawTherapee. Handles NEFs well including from a D7000 and possibly later models. save out as TIFF for further processing in Photoshop.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 12:20 PM

OR download a copy of Adobes " DNG Converter " This allows you to make DNG copies of your NEF files, These can then be opened in most of the older versions of Photoshop.

Once you have them in PS, You can save them as PSD or Tiff, Or pretty much anything you like.....Smile

Saves all that downloading yet more software.

My link is to the latest version, Dependant on your camera model it should be great, If your camera is not listed on the latest versions " Read Me Spec " Search Adobes Updates pages for an " Earlier Version " That includes your camera model.........That said the latest version should be backward compatible with most DSLRs for sure.

Last Modified By cameracat at 5 Dec 2012 - 12:21 PM
    mlewis
    mlewis  101476 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2012 - 12:40 PM

Quote: Is it possible to utilise the Adobe Camera RAW plug in with older versions of Photoshop (7) (by fair means or foul) ?

This is not possible.

tanyard
    tanyard  8105 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Dec 2012 - 7:33 PM

This may be the same problem I'm having. Sorry if it is but I'm not very bright computer-wise. My old Windows 7 ran Bridge and PS4 fine including reading the Canon RAW files from several EOS cameras.

Now I'm regretting upgrading to Windows 8 as apart from having to reinstall all the software, I still can't get Bridge or PS4 to read Canon Raw. I have tried to download the Windows 64 bit converter but it says Windows 8 won't run it. I downloaded the Canon plug in and copied it to the PS4 Plug Ins folder. Still nothing.

I'm sure the answer is obvious, but like with all computer things, that depends on the question one is asking.

Any ideas?

Please????

mlewis
    mlewis  101476 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Dec 2012 - 7:44 PM

Open Photoshop or Bridge. Go to the help option in the menu bar. Pick the update option from the menu. Let the updater do its thing. As you have reinstalled you are most likely just needing all the latest updates again to bring you into line where you were before going to Windows 8.

tanyard
    tanyard  8105 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Dec 2012 - 9:05 PM

Thank you M

I selected Updates in PS, and it said: 'The update server is not responding, which means it might be offline at the moment, or the Internet or firewall settings may be incorrect. Pleas try later'

So I tried switching off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. The latter I can turn back on but an I find how to switch Defender back on? Nope. So I have no updates and an undefended machine. The window in which I switched Defender off should reappear to switch it back on but all I get is a message saying 'Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer'. I know this but it doesn't offer any way into the 'on' facility. AARRGH!!

redhed17
    redhed17  8663 forum posts England
    28 Dec 2012 - 2:01 AM

You can see which versions of ACR or compatible with which versions of Photoshop here.

Up until version 7.1 of the ACR plugin you could download the update direct from Adobe, and install offline. From version 7.2 you need to update through Photoshop whilst online.

What you do if you haven't got an internet connection I don't know. :-/

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.