Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

adobe camera raw update

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2010 - 9:31 PM

hi everyone
I thought that I had downloaded adobe camera raw update 2.4 but I made a mistake and downloaded 5.4
I have tried to take it out of my Photoshop CS and put in the 2.4 version but I have ended up with two camera raw versions i.e. 2.4 and 5.4
Can anyone please tell me how to take out the 5.4 version and let me open up my raw files, which I cannot do at the moment

Regards Calmat

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Dec 2010 - 9:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
14 Dec 2010 - 10:19 PM

Not sure how you'd go about uninstalling it using software. You could remove it manually if you were to go into "Programme files" on your hard drive, assuming you're brave enough to go there and that you could find it if you were.
Alternatively, and I'm not sure this would work, you could try a "system restore" to a time before you installed it.
That might remove them both and you'd have to re-instal the correct one.
But I did say "might"!

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 14 Dec 2010 - 10:20 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2010 - 10:24 PM

When you say upgrade to camera raw 2.4 ???? That's a 5 year old product. It's currently at 6.3 and there gave been some big leaps in technology.

If you want to go back to before 2.4 could you use a restore point to before you upgraded to 5.4?

Last Modified By Nick_w at 14 Dec 2010 - 10:29 PM
Alan_Warriner
14 Dec 2010 - 11:13 PM

What do you mean you've got two camera raw versions?

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 1:56 AM

Adobe Camera Raw version 2.4 relates to the version of Photoshop from the plain old " CS " release, ie: its just CS without any number, Or CS1 if you prefer.....Grin

ACR version 5.4 belongs to Photoshop CS4......So its NOT compatible with anything older, If indeed we are talking about the older Photoshop CS, The installing ACR 5.4 in it, Will almost certainly screw things up a tad......Sad

IF we are talking the older PS/CS from way back, The first thing you have to do is remove the ACR 5.4 file, This may or may not work, Because the later ACR versions are installed automatically, They are also enormous files, So my guess is that there is more changes to the whole program during the install.....!!!

However removing the actual ACR 5.4 file would be a good start.

BUT, Any instructions on how you do this will depend on your operating system and its bit type, ie: Is it a 32bit or 64bit OS, Oh! And what is it called ? Windows 7/Vista/XP etc etc.

So we really need an answer to that before we can proceed any further......Grin

Anyhow assuming you can just find the " Camera Raw.8bi " file for version and delete it, All you would need to do is replace it with the correct " .8bi " file and everything should work.

HOWever, As I stated previously, The later ACR upgrades are more complex than the older versions, Hence some program and system settings may have been " Corrupted " by the incoming version 5.4..........Mangled data basically......Sad

If my suspicion is correct, The ONLY answer is to Uninstall your copy of CS, Then re-install it from scratch, Then apply the correct ACR file.......!!!

As its screwed anyhow, You could just try a re-install Without first uninstalling, The hope is that the re-install procedure will put right the damage done, Again if that works just change the ACR file for the version 2.4 update, Then you should be good to go......Grin

Whatever, The bottom line is this, There is no guarantee any or all of this will fix the issue, It really depends on how much if any system file damage has taken place, So just how long is a piece of string......Sad

Worth a try though......Wink

Quote: If you want to go back to before 2.4 could you use a restore point to before you upgraded to 5.4?

As suggested by Nick, This is the very first self help thing you can/should attempt......Smile Assuming the " Restore " system option works, The Win XP restore was cranky at best.....!!!

Again its worth a try.....Grin

Having said all that, I'm suprised that the Adobe update did not warn or point out the compatability issues, Its usually normal practice for incoming updates to check before they install.

Last Modified By cameracat at 15 Dec 2010 - 2:04 AM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 3:07 PM

Grin ..........Do you know, I'm beginning to wonder why I bother........Sad

Or

Why anyone else bothers either.....Tongue

Lets face it " Google Is Your Friend " takes a lot less time & effort......ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 3:57 PM

Quote: Do you know, I'm beginning to wonder why I bother

Give him a break, perhaps he doesn't have access to his PC at the moment! He could be working away or simply too busy to get online.

lemmy
lemmy  71835 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Dec 2010 - 4:51 PM

Quote: Do you know, I'm beginning to wonder why I bother

Give him a break, perhaps he doesn't have access to his PC at the moment! He could be working away or simply too busy to get online.

If he can't Google because he's off line, how can he post a question here?

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
15 Dec 2010 - 4:59 PM

Unless I am much mistaken, cameracat was complaining about the fact the OP hasn't replied for a day.

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2010 - 6:06 PM

hi everyone
thanks for all of your help
I am running Vista home premium which is 32 bit
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this did not work
my system restore dates do not go back far enough
I have the 2.4 version to install when I have taken out the 5.4 version which at the moment is not happening
I think that cameracat is right and I have some corrupted files in the registry and the registry system is something I now nothing about

swanseamale47
16 Dec 2010 - 8:00 AM

The 5.4 update shouldn't affect the registry it's simply a plug-in it should be in either C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS\File Formats or C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS\File Formats Just cut and paste the 88bf file somewhere else and put back in the 2.4 one.

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2010 - 10:31 AM

hi swanseamale
I found the 5.4 update where you said it was and followed your instructions but I still have two versions i.e. 5.4 and the new 2.4 update in photoshop cs and I still cannot open any raw pics

Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2010 - 11:00 AM

If you've cut and pasted the unwanted file to somewhere else on your computer, there's a chance that it's still being recognised as being in its original location.
Shouldn't happen, I know but it does.
Try moving it again but this time to somewhere remote, a USB key perhaps. Physically remove it from your computer.
In fact, if it's the wrong one and you don't need it, why not just delete it? You can always download it again if you find you do want it. (Can't you?).

calmat
calmat  3 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2010 - 12:16 PM

I have deleted all unwanted files and cut and pasted my new file in to cs but I am still getting two versions in cs i.e. 5.4 and 2.4

Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2010 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like something's been left behind during the deletion then.
Have you tried going to"Start" and "search"? That should tell you what's still in there and where although actually finding it may be another matter.
There's probably some hidden file left over in a hidden folder somewhere. I know it's not recommended but I keep all the hidden files and folders visible on here. You'd be amazed, when you can see it, at the amount of unwanted junk your machine acquires.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.