Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe going subscription only.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mossy
mossy  146 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 5:28 AM

Just found out that Adobe are going with subcription only Photoshop and Lightroom to be cloud based. Good or Bad in your opinion.

Adobe subsciption only.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2013 - 5:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 6:01 AM

I haven't seen anything yet that mentions Lightroom, only Photoshop?

I would be happy to stick with CS6 as I have no interest in "Cloud Computing" with a monthly subscription but I'd be really peed off if they go that route with Lightroom Sad

MikeA
MikeA  91150 forum posts England
7 May 2013 - 6:26 AM

I stopped upgrade chasing at CS4 and use Capture One for raw conversion. Not for me...Tongue

JJGEE
JJGEE  96214 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 7:25 AM

Causing some rather strong condemnation on the Adobe forums.

I am not sure what else beyond Lightroom 5 ( the new Upright tool is great ) apart from support for new cameras ( in case I decide to upgrade ) I would want.

mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 8:33 AM

This was all part of the plan when 1 or 2 years ago they offered CS6 upgrades only to those who had CS5 (CS4 owners had to buy it anew) - that caused one hell of stink and they backed down. I don't think they can afford another PR ****-up like that.

Quote: What makes him and the rest of the Adobe team believe that this will work, he told me, is that virtually everybody who has subscribed to Creative Cloud loves it.

The main issue with that is that the people who try the cloud will be the very people who are seduced by the technology. But most people are more conservative and are not that keyed into that way of thinking - as an example, many people (myself included) will buy a boxed version of software rather than rely entirely on downloaded versions or prefer to buy tech stuff from a shop if the price difference is minimal: no logic to it, just that that is the way we think. I am guessing they will see a slump in sales first when serial upgraders hesitate, and they will have to have a bit of nerve to stay with their plan. It will happen but it is a matter of timing.

davereet
davereet e2 Member 9197 forum postsdavereet vcard United Kingdom
7 May 2013 - 8:51 AM

Sounds bad to me. I have bought every upgrade since lightroom one and love it.
I will have to buy new software and go through another learning curve. :-((

Dave

Stillbase
Stillbase  256 forum posts Wales
7 May 2013 - 8:57 AM

For years I have wondered whether the full Photoshop program was too much for me. So a couple of months ago I decided to use the Adobe Creative Cloud system to trial the single program for 12 months after my 30 day trial proved inconclusive. It costs me 17.58 per month (around 200) for a full year and gives me lots of time to play with the program and make a final decision about whether or not it is worth the costs to me. The alternative was to spend 600+ for the boxed program.

As part of the deal, Adobe are supposed to let me have all upgrades free, so I will be interested to see whether I get access to the new Photoshop CC program in June. Meanwhile I will continue to experiment and learn with this complex tool.

thewilliam
7 May 2013 - 9:08 AM

Cloud is fine where there's good broadband. In this part of the world, what passes for broadband is little faster than the old dial-up and we get frequent drop-outs. Also, our imaging computers are never connected to the internet because the anti-virus software was stripped off.

puertouk
puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

I think this will blow up in Adobes faces

mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I presume you can only use the cloud version when online? That's pretty bloody useless you are on the road - like the African Savannah for instance and you want to catalogue your 600 photos each day.

My guess is that they are aiming to do away with PS/CS/LR/XYZ because they will all be the same bundle and you will only use, and pay for, the functions you need. That will mean a careful unit pricing so that LR users are not subsidising CS users.

Consulo
Consulo  10762 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Quote: I think this will blow up in Adobes faces

Whilst I'm trying to be cautious and not jump the gun, I do have a feeling that this is partly true. I feel this move will alienate a large section of their user base who fall outside the remit of being a creative professional.

My gut feeling is that this move has been precipitated by the piracy levels of adobe software. I imagine it is quite a problem for them, but I feel this is the wrong way to go about it. I know that there will be a reasonable amount of constant updates and new feature sets, but an indefinite subscription at a pretty high price point seems slightly absurd. If they are intent on this, I think that users who intend on subscribing for the long term should eventually be entitled to a reduced rate.

Personally speaking, any Adobe updates that I make will be to CS6 and no further. It costs enough as it is to buy the package and I certainly don't have the coin to be shelling out on a subscription service like this. Programs like PS Elements are fine, but I often make use of feature sets that that iteration of the programme just doesn't cover. Like Lemmy (whose post has vanished), I also have my doubts of future-proofing of particular technoligies and it would make me wary of putting eggs in just the one basket, lest some shiny new innovation come about that nullifies existing systems.

Last Modified By Consulo at 7 May 2013 - 12:03 PM
contemporary dave

Quote: I think this will blow up in Adobes faces

Looking at their Facebook page, it already has! http://www.facebook.com/Photoshop?fref=ts

From what I can see, its going to cost existing customers more.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Quote: My gut feeling is that this move has been precipitated by the piracy levels of adobe software

yep, same with Microsoft, soon those will only be cloud based subscriptions. There will also be no resellers.

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
7 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

You could add up how much you paid for PS and upgrades for the last 5 years and compare, I suppose but I have an inbuilt opposition to paying out money monthly. I prefer to buy something.

Price guarantees and even contracts seem to mean little these days, witness mobile phone owners on 'fixed' contracts now being told they must pay more and folk with Bank of Ireland fixed rate mortgages now told the same thing. It's in the small print, legal but still dishonest. If you look at Adobe's US to European pricing strategy, you can see how customer concerned Adobe are so good luck to anyone who signs up with them.

With luck, what it will do is stimulate smaller, nimbler, more innovative companies, hopefully closer to their customers, to re-enter this sector after Adobe's long dominance. I use Paint.Net on one of my machine - free and stunningly capable. If I'd always had this, I doubt I've have bothered with PS even in my professional days. It is massive overkill for most photographers, more for art editors.

Lightroom, however, I'd be sorry to lose that but I'm not willing to be rail-roaded by anyone. I have changed how i do things in the past and I can do it again.

nik111
nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6315 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
7 May 2013 - 1:35 PM

Quote: Lightroom, however, I'd be sorry to lose that but I'm not willing to be rail-roaded by anyone. I have changed how i do things in the past and I can do it again.

Lightroom is staying as a standalone product: Lightroom and the Creative Cloud

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.