Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe going subscription only.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
7 May 2013 - 1:53 PM

According to Adobe's website you definitely don't need to to be connected to the Internet to work with PS so I think people are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing here. At £211 per year it does not look like those who buy regular updates are going to be paying more.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2013 - 1:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73906 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 2:16 PM

I will be upgrading to CS6 soon, I will then see how it pans out over the next couple of years.

After the purchase of Nik Filters by Google, I suspect that Google will be looking to challenge Adobe in the not too distant future, judging how they have approached other markets.

lemmy
lemmy  71944 forum posts United Kingdom
7 May 2013 - 3:01 PM

Quote: Lightroom is staying as a standalone product:

Thanks for that. I've been using the beta of LR5 and it is really good. Even if Adobe eventually make LR cloud sub only (as I expect they will, whatever they say now), there will always be RAW to .dng converters so that you could import new camera files into it.

As for Photoshop, I bought CS4 and have never upgraded. It's a bloated beast of which I hardly use 10%. As I said, I'd happily use Paint.Net for the little I cannot do in Lightroom. Many of the upgrades we feel compelled to buy are unnecessary but there's always a niggling feeling you're missing something.

It's age, I guess, because I'm starting to lose that feeling.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 4:18 PM

The subscription model costs may seem reasonable for pro users but as an amateur i saved for a while then only got it for just over half price with an Amazon deal.
Also for those that buy it as students its a major increase, i guess a few students will subscribe in the early days of graduating.

But like others I like to own it and not then have to pay anyone else to further edit my PSD files, or redo a particular export etc.

Mister_Electron

I am disgusted and angry that Adobe have ditched a proper customer-centric approach to selling their software. This changes the customer-provider balance completely in favour of provider - a deeply unpleasant way to do business Sad

I have been a very loyal Adobe customer for decades, have been using Ps since Photoshop 3.0.

Looks like I will be looking to other solutions in future, such a shame as I have invested so much time in becoming proficient with Adobe products, I sincerely hope that customers evaporate quickly and force a re-think on this.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73906 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 9:56 PM

I think the reason Adobe have taken this decision, is that there were far too many "customers" who never bought the product, this way they get payment from all users. I fear we will see more companies taking this route to counteract the counterfeit market.

Jestertheclown
7 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Quote: I think the reason Adobe have taken this decision, is that there were far too many "customers" who never bought the product,

Agreed Nick.

I have to think though that the only people that do decide to subscribe will be either professionals, who can consider the cost a legitimate expense and will justify it by using the programme to its full or wannabes who probably can't use it and upgrade every couple of years, simply because they can.

Realistically, how many of us actually need a programme that can outshine CS6? Or CS5, CS4 even?

Not very many, I'm sure.
Everyone who's got a fairly recent copy of Photoshop on a disk, legit or otherwise, will just hang on to it.

And don't forget that there's still a free-of-charge download of CS2 kicking around.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64542 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

What about Elements? Is that affected? Compared with the price of full Photoshop it's a drop in the ocean. I'd like to think that they'd cater for their less "professional" but nevertheless very lucrative market.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Quote: What about Elements?

It does not appear to have been mentioned at all, which could either be a good thing or not !

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014930 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

If I were a pro who depended on PS I'd be pissed off, and change to another companies products, but I'm not, and PS is massive overkill for a very high percentage of us enthusiasts, I would think. I used Elements 3, which I bought, till last year, when I bought Elements 7, which I only needed for the RAW converter. Never used the converter, because I was using DPP, then I bought LR, and I use that. I used Elements 7 the other day to try a bit of file resizing, and that's about it for the past several months. I feel sorry for the people depending on PS though.

Denny

LesleyJ
LesleyJ  7144 forum posts England
7 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

I love PS but wont be joining them on a subscription basis. Its like leasing it rather than owning it. I have CS6 so will be sticking with that. I am sure that will do me for a good few years. Remember when I got CS2 didn't upgrade again till CS5 as everything I wanted to do I could. Thinking of getting lightroom (been on the wish list a while now) as that (and elements) seem to be remaining as real products rather than cloud based.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

I believe Phase One throw in Capture One Pro for free when you buy one of their cameras.
So perhaps that will be my next camera system Wink

samueldilworth
7 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

I have several concerns about this move.

The first is renting software rather than buying it. I have too many monthly bills already, and I prefer to buy non-essential things outright if and when I can afford them, rather than burdening my future self (of unknown liquidity) with subscription payments.

Second, itís effectively a price increase for infrequent upgraders. I bought Photoshop Elements 2, 6, and 9, skipping the intermediate upgrades. Now I finally have full Photoshop (version CS6) and I was intending to similarly skip most upgrades. The Creative Cloud price may work out okay for people who upgraded to every new Creative Suite version, or those who bought the whole suite of Creative Suite apps rather than just Photoshop. But itís a bad deal for people like me.

Perhaps the most off-putting thing for me is the notion of having to pay subscriptions, forever and ever, in order to access my own work in Adobe file formats. And in the future, the monthly prices might double or treble for all we knowÖ

By the way, I donít think this move has anything to do with piracy. Itís just the logical conclusion of the shareholder-value model and shortsighted MBA culture that pervades high-tech American firms.

samueldilworth
8 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Consulo:

Quote: Personally speaking, any Adobe updates that I make will be to CS6 and no further.

Nick_w:

Quote: I will be upgrading to CS6 soon, I will then see how it pans out over the next couple of years.

Could it be too late already to buy Photoshop CS6? I canít seem to find it on the Adobe online shop Ė just Creative Cloud stuff. Donít panic though, I might have missed it.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 1:16 AM

Could be CS6 will be the end of the line for me too. So long as they continue to update ACR, that will do me fine. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.