Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe going subscription only.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Stephen_w3d
8 May 2013 - 7:56 AM

Everyone seems to be looking at all the negatives but there are positives as well. If you donít use Photoshop on a daily basis why pay £600+ for the full product when you can just purchase a licence for just one month. It gives amateurs a chance to use the top product without shelling out a fortune, all you have to do is save your photo editing up till you have enough to make it worth purchasing a months licence.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 May 2013 - 7:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MartinBrown
MartinBrown e2 Member 4117 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
8 May 2013 - 8:02 AM

Does anyone know if this will effect all my plugins too? I have all the Nik and Topaz adjust plus Noise Ninja?

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 8:09 AM

Quote: Could it be too late already to buy Photoshop CS6? I canít seem to find it on the Adobe online shop Ė just Creative Cloud stuff. Donít panic though, I might have missed it.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_...

samueldilworth

I suppose youíre seeing Photoshop in that list of Creative Suite 6 products, Nick, but itís not visible in the list I get when I click your link. The closest thing is Creative Suite 6 Design Standard, which includes Photoshop but is over £1200.

Still, I see elsewhere that Adobe has said Photoshop CS6 will still be sold for a while, so I donít think we need to worry. Itís just a bit odd that I canít find it on the Adobe site. Maybe Adobe knows I already bought it, so isnít giving me the option to buy it again, though I donít understand how since Iím not logged in with my Adobe ID.

sausage
sausage  9228 forum posts United Kingdom
8 May 2013 - 8:53 AM

Myths of Creative Cloud here.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/inside-creative-cloud/the-myths-of-adobe-creative-clou...

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 9:09 AM

What are the tax laws for business? I read somewhere that renting the programme would be a 'discretionary payment' (or whatever the term was) and you could not claim it as a business expense.

Last Modified By mikehit at 8 May 2013 - 9:09 AM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 9:56 AM

It seems to me that like the direction Microsoft has gone with the latest version of Office, this is just a ruse to stop software piracy (not a bad thing in itself) and a way to screw a few more shekels from what they think is their loyal customer base. I can see the likes of Corel who make Paint Shop Pro rubbing their hands with glee, although having said this I think Cloud computing in it's various guises is the way a lot of software companies intend to do their business in the future.
Can't see many folks bothering to upgrade their software soon though especially if you're only an occasional user. Heck I still use Office XP and CS3 on my Win 7 computer, both programs do all I need, why waste my money on the latest all singing and dancing bloatware of which I would never use more than 10% of either programs capabilities.......It remains to be seen whether or not both Microsoft and Adobe have shot themselves in the proverbial foot, only time will tell I guess????

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012553 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

just replaced our server and a few of the tech team PCs, probably the last time we will have a physical server sat in the office - unless we want to spend an additional 30%, MS intend to have servers cloud based in as little as 3 years.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

There are a couple of reasons for the decision I think. The piracy has already been mentioned, but the other is cash flow. Currently they have a large peak in sales once every two years, then a relatively baron period - think about it, new product everyone buys. With this they get a smooth cash flow, it helps budgeting, reduces financing (overdraft) puts Adobe in a better position to sell. I don't know but I would wager they are owned by venture capital, they like to buy and sell company's in a 3-5 year cycle.

It could also be argued that it favours a lot of their large corporate graphic design clients, no large purchases every 2 years that have to go thro a cap-ex procedure, but a monthly service charge, again that can be budgeted for.

Photoshop is a very mature product now, I use CS5 I upgraded from CS2, yes it's a much slicker product, but there isn't much that you can do in CS5 you couldn't in CS2 and CS2 must be 8-9 years old.

A lot of their patents must be close to coming to an end, I wouldn't be purprised to see much more competition enter the market - Google have bought Nik, Gimp is open source, theres Paintshop pro and of course Adobe own Elements, which is the product Adobe would say is aimed at the enthusiast market.

For general photo editing there's plenty of options, however my concern is for advanced editing, there is a gap there that as yet full photoshop can't be beaten.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 8 May 2013 - 10:30 AM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Quote: For general photo editing there's plenty of options, however my concern is for advanced editing, there is a gap there that as yet full photoshop can't be beaten.

I dunno about that, speaking as a user both of CS3 and PSX5 there isn't a lot between them, it's just that Adobe is in the enviable position of being the market leader and the program most pros use. I've been using Paintshop Pro since V4 and whilst if differs a little from CS I've have grown up with it rather than Photoshop CS, so whilst I might seem a little biased I can assure you that PSX5 is as capable program as any other, the only downside with it being that there are not as many users in comparison and thus tutorials for it as there are for Photoshop. This can put a lot of potential users off, especially beginners who want instant results. For what it's worth I use Corel 95% of the time and only use CS when I want to do a little bit of rendering such as clouds etc, which I must admit is a lot easier in CS.

It will be interesting to see how the future market for such programs now develops and whether or not Abobe's domination in this sector stays the same. I hope Corel braves it out and don't get tempted to follow on and join the bandwagon.....Time will tell I guess, but it could prove to be all very interesting.

£68 for PSX5 complete or £47 a month for a subscription to CS Cloud.......But of a no brainer really.......Come on EPZ, get some more video tutorials sorted for PSX5 Tongue

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Just one thought PS became dominant as there were a vast team of unofficial users who published guides and enabled loads of others to learn the product. Now its withdrawing into a pro only market and with tied users having to justify the app each month.
Over time this will reduce the talent pool and perhaps drive up prices of using digital artists and processing services.

CS6 should see me good for a few years but I don't see me upgrading into the cloud unless incentives for amateurs exist.
Nick's point about patents and competition is interesting as it suggests that others will fill the gap.
Also noted it that elements was generally very good and may well fill the void if it gets a few of the finer CS6 features.

Maybe Adobe want to offer many terrabytes of storage per user so all raw files are in its cloud, and only pro's will be able to afford this.

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
8 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

This could be the point where they lose their non-business clients. It's unlikely that newspapers and magazines and professionals in general will give up on what is the industry standard.

Much of what you can do in Photoshop quickly becomes a cliche and for photographic rather than 'art' purposes Lightroom is much better, more like a darkroom, provided you shoot RAW.

I tried Corel and that is excellent, as is GIMP and Paint.Netbut. It's a pain learning a new interface but if you do invest the time, there is little that most of us want to do that can't be done just as well in the PS alternatives.

I wonder what PS's amateur - professional use ratio is? If it's predominately professional, this will be a good move, since most the pirating will be done by non-pros. They must have done a cost/ loss analysis on this.

Nick_w
8 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

As I said earlier, I will probably upgrade to CS6 whilst I can (I think sometime in June is the cutoff).

But £17.58 per month for cloud service, it would take over 3 years to payback on a new purchase, so doesn't preclude the amateur market completely.

I just wish there were other options I could have confidence in for the composite work I do.

Ade_Osman
8 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Quote: But £17.58 per month for cloud service, it would take over 3 years to payback on a new purchase, so doesn't preclude the amateur market completely.

That's assuming you have a copy of CS3 or higher to upgrade from otherwise it's £47 a month as far as I can tell.

Download a trial of PSX5 from Corel You might be pleasantly surprised Nick Smile

LesleyJ
LesleyJ  7144 forum posts England
8 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Quote: Everyone seems to be looking at all the negatives but there are positives as well. If you donít use Photoshop on a daily basis why pay £600+ for the full product when you can just purchase a licence for just one month. It gives amateurs a chance to use the top product without shelling out a fortune, all you have to do is save your photo editing up till you have enough to make it worth purchasing a months licence.

But you have to have a years contract - its monthly payments but a years committment so dont think that would work

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.