Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

adobe lightroom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
frenchie44
1 May 2012 - 3:06 PM

I use CS5 for editing my photo's, i see that lightroom 3 is available for about 40, what is the advantage of lightroom ? is there any need for it alongside CS5? i shoot in raw most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 May 2012 - 3:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 3:17 PM

Since I moved from Capture 1 to Lightroom I hardly ever need PS. LR doesn't do layers but it does a hell of a lot, including cataloguing and a brilliant snapshot facility. I now only ever have the original RAW file and a jpeg for anything exported for things like ePz or FB.

The only time really I use PS now is if I need layers for complex adjustments.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 3:31 PM

I think it would be better to spend a little more and go straight for Lightroom 4 ( currently 108.44 )

The Basic panel in the develop module is far superior and now in 41. RC2 the colour defringe controls are quite spectacular for correcting purple / green fringing Smile

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 3:39 PM

...but if 40 is your budget LR3 is still excellent.

User_Removed
1 May 2012 - 4:03 PM

Indeed...

frenchie44
1 May 2012 - 4:05 PM

thanks, i will get LR4 its available for 98

User_Removed
1 May 2012 - 4:11 PM

Why don't you get a trial version first? I think you can get a few weeks' free use and if you don't like it you've not lost any money. Also Lightroom CS6 is due soon so prices might drop on earlier versions.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103957 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 4:33 PM

I've just downloaded the trial version - 30 days free. LR4 is showing as 103 on Adobe's site. Didn't realise you could get an earlier vesrion cheaper (D'oh!). Have been impressed so far. Smile

See my post of a test shot matched against ViewNX (which I posted on another thread)
LR1-dsc-1027.jpg
ViewNX1-dsc-1027-8656.jpg

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122056 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 4:55 PM

Test before you buy to make sure it runs okay on your system. There are an awful lot of us who are having serious problems with Lightroom 4 and it isn't clear why (check out the forums on Adobe)

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 6488 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 5:04 PM

Agree with Gaucho; LR is brilliant program but the latest version has some serious bugs and I am having lots of problems with it. Apparently it was rushed out too early due to pressure from on high at Adobe and they must be regretting it. Stick with LR3 for now until bugs have been sorted.

Daffy1
Daffy1  6332 forum posts Ireland
1 May 2012 - 5:13 PM

Since we're on the subject of Lightroom , I can't open my Silver Efex as a plug in when I try to open it I get this message "Unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected got nil ). What ever that means !!. I started this thread the other day but got no reply. Please help . Damian.

sausage
sausage  9210 forum posts United Kingdom
1 May 2012 - 6:08 PM

LR4 now keeps running out of memory when I try to export a jpg. This is since using it to process the NEF files from my D800.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122056 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 7:13 PM

Damian you should have Silver Effects version 2.004 for it to work on LR4

Gaucho
1 May 2012 - 7:17 PM

I've had all sorts of problems and have decided to upgrade my system as I realise that that might be the reason for my problems. What concerns me is that there are some out there with all singing and dancing systems who are still struggling with LR4. They call it Lightroom 4 RC. Arsie, quite appropriate when you think about it Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2012 - 9:14 PM

Quote: LR doesn't do layers

I use adjustment layers all the time. If LR can't do that, it's of little use to me really.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.