Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe pricing on Lightroom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nick_Hilton
    15 Dec 2012 - 6:36 PM

I was going to buy Lightroom 4 via download on Adobe's site. However I notice that you are chared and extra 3 for downloading it instead of requesting a boxed version be sent? Can anyone offer an explination, surely the download should be cheaper ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Dec 2012 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Dec 2012 - 7:06 PM

well...the boxed version costs about an extra 7 for postage/shipping

User_Removed
    15 Dec 2012 - 7:58 PM

The reason is that, when you buy the download in UK you are charged from Adobe's Ireland server and charged VAT at the Irish rate of (I think) 25%. When you buy a boxed disk, you are charged at the UK VAT rate. A lot of folk have been puzzled by this apparent paradox.

And, of course, if you buy the boxed disk from somewhere like Amazon, it is post free, so actually does work out cheaper than buying the download..

If you are in a hurry to use it, then download the trial and order the boxed set. When your boxed disk arrives, enter the registration key from it into your downloaded trial and you have had the best of both worlds, 100% legitimately.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 15 Dec 2012 - 8:01 PM
    JJGEE
    JJGEE  96223 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Dec 2012 - 8:00 PM

If you download it then you can be using it within the half hour Wink

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Dec 2012 - 9:11 PM

you can get LR4.0 on various sites for around 50-60 ..presumably once you have a verified serial number you would be entitled to get the updates?

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014027 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Dec 2012 - 9:34 PM

you only ever pay for the major releases (1,2,3 or 4) - the point releases are free after that.
    So if you buy 4.0 the upgrade to 4.3 will be free.

Hugo
    Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Dec 2012 - 10:05 PM

No idea...it was the same for me...I purchased it upon release.
    You can download the trial and use that for a month - then when the box comes just copy the number of the back.
    I opted for the boxed version, well 3 cheaper and it had a nice pretty graphic on the box, kept me amused for 60 seconds.
    Maybe not very green to produce it and ship it.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014027 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Dec 2012 - 10:07 PM

The advantage of the boxed version is that it is harder to lose than a email with a serial number on it Wink

CaptivePhotons
    CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111517 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Dec 2012 - 10:57 AM

Quote: The advantage of the boxed version is that it is harder to lose than a email with a serial number on it Wink

All my serial numbers are stored on my adobe account, just gotta remember where I put that email with my password on it Tongue

User_Removed
    16 Dec 2012 - 2:26 PM

Quote: The advantage of the boxed version is that it is harder to lose than a email with a serial number on it Wink

As well as being cheaper.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.