Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Adobe pricing on Lightroom

Nick_Hilton e2
9 561 2 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 6:36PM
I was going to buy Lightroom 4 via download on Adobe's site. However I notice that you are chared and extra 3 for downloading it instead of requesting a boxed version be sent? Can anyone offer an explination, surely the download should be cheaper ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
15 Dec 2012 7:06PM
well...the boxed version costs about an extra 7 for postage/shipping
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
15 Dec 2012 7:58PM
The reason is that, when you buy the download in UK you are charged from Adobe's Ireland server and charged VAT at the Irish rate of (I think) 25%. When you buy a boxed disk, you are charged at the UK VAT rate. A lot of folk have been puzzled by this apparent paradox.

And, of course, if you buy the boxed disk from somewhere like Amazon, it is post free, so actually does work out cheaper than buying the download..

If you are in a hurry to use it, then download the trial and order the boxed set. When your boxed disk arrives, enter the registration key from it into your downloaded trial and you have had the best of both worlds, 100% legitimately.
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
15 Dec 2012 8:00PM
If you download it then you can be using it within the half hour Wink
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
15 Dec 2012 9:11PM
you can get LR4.0 on various sites for around 50-60 ..presumably once you have a verified serial number you would be entitled to get the updates?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 9:34PM
you only ever pay for the major releases (1,2,3 or 4) - the point releases are free after that.
So if you buy 4.0 the upgrade to 4.3 will be free.
Hugo e2
9 647 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 10:05PM
No idea...it was the same for me...I purchased it upon release.
You can download the trial and use that for a month - then when the box comes just copy the number of the back.
I opted for the boxed version, well 3 cheaper and it had a nice pretty graphic on the box, kept me amused for 60 seconds.
Maybe not very green to produce it and ship it.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 10:07PM
The advantage of the boxed version is that it is harder to lose than a email with a serial number on it Wink
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
16 Dec 2012 10:57AM

Quote:The advantage of the boxed version is that it is harder to lose than a email with a serial number on it Wink

All my serial numbers are stored on my adobe account, just gotta remember where I put that email with my password on it Tongue
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Dec 2012 2:26PM

Quote:The advantage of the boxed version is that it is harder to lose than a email with a serial number on it Wink

As well as being cheaper.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.