Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe twists the knife even more............

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MeanGreeny
12 Nov 2011 - 6:33 PM

From the Rob Galbraith Website:

Adobe revamps upgrade policy for Photoshop CS6, other CS6 applications Saturday, November 12, 2011 | by Rob Galbraith

Starting with Photoshop CS6, which is anticipated to ship in 2012, Adobe will be enforcing a new upgrade policy. The existing practice is to allow customers to purchase the newest version at the upgrade price if they own an existing version up to three major releases back.

To upgrade to Photoshop CS6 or any other Creative Suite 6 application at the upgrade price, however, you will need to own a license to the previous major release (in this case, CS5, CS5.1 and CS5.5 are all considered to be the same version). Earlier major version releases will not be eligible for upgrade pricing.

Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Nov 2011 - 6:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2011 - 6:54 PM

Good job CS4 does everything I need then.

I've also read they have moved some of their corporate software to online rental models, so we can expect Photoshop to go that route as well at some stage.

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Nov 2011 - 10:20 PM

We all need to start looking at the free software options out there, and put pressure on companies like Adobe to bring prices down.

Jestertheclown
12 Nov 2011 - 10:39 PM

Quote: We all need to start looking at the free software options out there

I understand what you're saying but the problem is quite simply that there's nothing out there amongst the freebies that's in anything like the same league as Photoshop.

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2011 - 10:57 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but the problem is quite simply that there's nothing out there amongst the freebies that's in anything like the same league as Photoshop.

Perhaps not free but I find I do not need Adobe products for photography, certainly not the full CS version. Even if you stay Adobe do you really need more than Elements.

For me I find DPP a good RAW image editor and if you use C1 its even better. For me that is the majority of photo editing I do, and once you have the RAW conversion process covered you can use a more basic photo editor or you can avoid the need for updating your version of photoshop or elements. If you want to crack Adobe and their attitude just hold off the purchase of the new version.

The vast majority of the people I know who have the full version of photoshop do not use more than a fraction of the tools offering and did not understand what can be done with elements.

Last Modified By strawman at 12 Nov 2011 - 10:59 PM
redhed17
redhed17  8646 forum posts England
12 Nov 2011 - 11:01 PM

I think this will become more of an issue when CS6 is about to be released, and the implications is felt by many loyal users. If they don't have any mind blowing features, then it may not be the big problem this time, but may have bigger problems for CS7 once they have laid the foundations for this change this time. Sad

Adobe, and many software company's, favour the online pay as you go model because it is a constant revenue stream. And good luck to them, but I, and I suspect many people don't want to use the software in that way, or at that price. I hope I'm right.

CS5 does everything I need, but then so did CS2. Wink But if I pay for software, I would expect to be able to use it as often as I wanted without the need to pay more, and having to be connected to the internet to be able to use it either.

Last Modified By redhed17 at 12 Nov 2011 - 11:08 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2011 - 11:08 PM

I am looking forward to CS6, even though CS5 does all I need....... in theory. But sometimes new features come along which you end up wondering how you managed without them! Smile

Jestertheclown
12 Nov 2011 - 11:52 PM

Quote: CS5 does everything I need, but then so did CS2. Wink

I migrated directly from CS2 to CS5 because it seemed to me that it was a considerable step forward whereas the two versions in between were less so. I got called names a while ago for saying this but I still believe that CS3 was the least mooted of all versions.
Following that logic, unless as CB implies, CS6 is another sizeable step forwards, I shall probably stick with CS5.
As for "cracking" Adobe by not paying for their goods, I think that the clue could be in the word "crack."

bigalguitarpicker
13 Nov 2011 - 12:13 AM

Quote:

Adobe, and many software company's, favour the online pay as you go model because it is a constant revenue stream. And good luck to them, but I, and I suspect many people don't want to use the software in that way, or at that price. I hope I'm right.

So what's the online pay as you go model? I've never heard of it?

Hugo
Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Nov 2011 - 12:25 AM

I imagine it's a rental/subscription based system - Software as a service.
Like leasing a car.

monstersnowman
13 Nov 2011 - 2:36 AM

Being a CS4 user and LR2 I am more than happy with them but I have a Fuji X100 and I now realise the LR2 and CS4 wont open the raw files so I am pretty shafted now and will have to either stump bucks up for the upgrade and small jump to CS5 (which I believe will open the X100 RAF files), which will quickly be replaced, or buy a whole new and very expensive set of software when CS6 comes out. Needless to say, if I go for a CS5 upgrade I could find myself in the same situation with a program that doesnt open newer raw file formats should I change camera in the not too distant future ... or can any tecchies tell me I am missing a trick somewhere ??

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 7:07 AM

The problem is that the programes only support Adobe Camera RAW upto a cut off point I think its 5.7 for CS4 and LR2. Any camera launched in the last couple years are in later versions of ACR. I have to have both on my PC as I use CS4 with v5.7 and LR3 with v6.5. There probably are ways to change the config files to trick CS4/LR2, but not something I've ever explored.

You could get a free piece of software to convert your native RAW files to DNG or TIFF, or upgrade to LR3 which isn't quite as costly and use that to proces the RAW files.

TTT
TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
13 Nov 2011 - 7:19 AM

Aperture 3 does 95% of my needs and Elements 9 the rest.......if your a pro or media expert, then price is of no concern.

Last Modified By TTT at 13 Nov 2011 - 7:20 AM
AndyLeslie
13 Nov 2011 - 9:00 AM

Quote: .if your a pro or media expert, then price is of no concern.

oh ha bloody ha. Profits come from margins, not thin air.

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 9:41 AM

Ok defining question for the non-professionals, what is it that you use in Adobe CS that is not present in the lower cost Elements package that you cannot work around. Its a serious question as after a trial at local camera club it turns out that not one of the owners of full CS did anything that could not be done in elements. The majority bought CS over elements because "its the more expensive package so it had to be best", which is true for web developers and graphic artists, but for the majority of photographers, not such a clear decision. The end conclusion was to save yourself the money and you get more by spending the money on going somewhere new...

The most frequent reason given for updating your version of an Adobe product is RAW support, so just adapt to a non Adobe product. Canon and Nikon users have manufacturer supported options and then there are valid and good independent offerings like C1 that have more modest support costs.

sorry if the use of the word crack upsets you, but if you dislike Adobe's policy on upgrades the only way to impact them is to avoid getting locked into their cycle. Otherwise why complain. Keep paying them money then by inference you are happy. So buy the editor you want, but if the costs offend you take some time to look at the alternatives, they may surprise you. Or look at using a non-Adobe RAW converter and just drop out of the upgrade loop for a few versions.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.