Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Adobe updates and CS3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    camay
    camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jun 2009 - 4:38 PM

I have Photoshop CS3, but all the latest upgrades for RAW state they are for CS4. I don't wish to upgrade but do need the upgraded RAW version as mine does not support Panasonic G1 and I've been trying this camera out. Does anyone know if the latest RAW 5 upgrade will work with CS3?
    Thanks, Lynne

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jun 2009 - 4:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_Palmer
    24 Jun 2009 - 4:41 PM

Start Photoshop, then click 'HELP' on the title bar at the top, then click 'UPDATES', self updating. Unless of course it's a none legit copy in which case the above probably won't work Wink

Last Modified By Simon_Palmer at 24 Jun 2009 - 4:42 PM
    User_Removed
    24 Jun 2009 - 4:42 PM

Best check out the Adobe website Lynne. Adobe have a habit of 'isolating' owners of older product in an attempt to force an upgrade.

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jun 2009 - 4:53 PM

Lightroom 2.4 update as well

Sparkleson
    24 Jun 2009 - 5:29 PM

If it isn't compatible & you use Windows, there is a (free) work-around.

In the CR download, there are 2 files. The first is the plug-in for photoshop, whilst the second is a stand-alone application that converts the camera raw file into Adobe's (universal) DNG RAW format (it can also embed the original raw file within it, so nothing is lost - it just rearranges the data into a different format).

If you run this one to convert your RAW file into the DNG RAW format, you should then be able to open it using the version of CR that your copy of photoshop has, as they've been pushing this format for a while.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jun 2009 - 8:52 PM

Quote: Does anyone know if the latest RAW 5 upgrade will work with CS3

No it will not work with CS3......Thats it no other options except to buy CS4....Sad

Or Lightroom....Or convert the files to DNG as mentioned, Or convert the files to TIFF format for editing in CS3....etc etc...!

The last Camera Raw version that was produced for CS3 is 4.6....!

Usually the software supplied with a camera that has Raw capability, Can convert the Raw files into Tiff and other formats...!

camay
    camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jun 2009 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Mark, I've found the converter (not quite sure how, it wasn't where I thought it should be), and I'm now downloading it so that I can convert the files.
    I do have a legit CS3, but why spend more upgrading when I don't have to? Yes they want me to upgrade but it's a lot to spend every year or so when there's no need.
    Lynne

robs
    robs  10660 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jun 2009 - 10:11 AM

Just had to upgrade myself for this reason. It took me 6 hours on the phone and 2 days to get CS4 upgrade installed. I am not sure if the difficulty was cos I was downgrading and upgrading at the same time (going from CS3 Extended to CS4 Standard) or what. Got there in the end though, and hopefully if and when I need to upgrade again I can use the serial number off CS4 Upgrade to install.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.