Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ADSL Problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
rocketrainford
11 Sep 2003 - 3:46 PM

I used to have the very same problem kingnothing. I phoned BT and the sent me modem after modem (which I eventually sold on Ebay) Smile

But, the problem eventually turned out to be a problem at the BT end!! Not sure what they did, but my first thought would be for you to give them a call.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Sep 2003 - 3:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rocketrainford
11 Sep 2003 - 3:48 PM

Little Jo - just a word of warning - you still NEED anti-virus software, a firewall won't stop the virus getting through!

Trust me - I know as I had no anti-virus software, but a good firewall, and it still got through!

Now I have both - no problems.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
11 Sep 2003 - 4:10 PM

I have always had up to date antivirus software and I've never had a virus infection. The W32.blaster worm used a vulnerability that allowed it to infect a computer simply by that pc connecting to the internet.

If you read my earlier postings on other threads including those on Lesley's problems - you'd know that Little Jo follows best practice in everything she does, that includes how she looks after her computer Smile

Jo

kingnothing
11 Sep 2003 - 4:38 PM

little jo ... no offense but shuddup aboyt the freakin w32.blaster virus i know enough about computers to know ive goten rid of that problem ok.

rocket... my isp isnt bt its tiscali. but it is a bt line. so u think still worth calling them?

and everyone else heh. what problem could i have that by makeing a phone call will bring the asdl light on my modem on. alowing me to connect to the internet for a short time (1minuit-2hours at random)?? i cant think y makeing a call would fix anything

kingnothing
11 Sep 2003 - 4:40 PM

oh and so u know little jo i follow "best practise" or good enough practise.... but my mum,dad,sister,brother and friends who use this computer might not tyvm

Little Jo
11 Sep 2003 - 5:51 PM

Daniel

Try ADSL Guide. That site has lots of folk who know all the ins and outs of ADSL, and you should be able to find the information you need there. Ephotozine is a photography website.

Get your line checked by BT, all the ADSL packages that ISPs like Tiscali offer are provided by BT wholesale - they're effectively the same package I get with BT Openworld rebadged. Have you checked the ADSL filters are all installed as someone else suggested? Tiscali may offer you a replacement modem, that could have developed a fault.

Did you get a troubleshooting guide with your modem (I certainly did with mine, check your Tiscali CD)?

If you are using the Altacel Speedtouch modem - here's what the two LEDs can tell you:

If both lights are off - there's no power to the modem.

If the ADSL flashes while the USB one stays green, the modem is trying to configure itself to the ADSL line, this should stop after a few seconds otherwise you've a line fault.

If both lights are amber - the modem has failed its self-power test. If unplugging and replugging the modem doesn't help - go to Tiscali.

If your USB bus is getting congested, the USB light will go red. This is a computer resources issue.

Now, go and read up on your particular modem - then take it from there. The information you gave in your original posting was wholly inadequate for anyone to give more detailed information.

The ADSL guide is probably a better forum for you queries.

Jo

vfr400
vfr400  12886 forum posts
11 Sep 2003 - 9:39 PM

kingnothing, I have just found this thread
i am with Bt broadband and have been more than happy with the service ... thats is until 3 weeks ago when for no reason the adsl light on my alcatel modem would flash and i would lose the connection, this also could be anything from 1 min to 2 hours i have logged this with bt and I'm waiting for an answer. so far i have reloaded my pc changed adsl filters and updated the modem drivers but am still suffering the problem.I have up to date anti virus and a firewall.
ps i also seem to be able to start the connection by making a phone call.
pps do you have 1571 service if i have a message and interuppted dialtone my modem won't connect.

Lesley Jane
11 Sep 2003 - 11:01 PM

That 1571 service certainly affects my dial-up modem from being able to dial up. It didn't occur to me that it would affect broadband because I thought the filters split up the incoming signal!!

I am getting really worried now that I will still get problems when I switch to another ISP. Is there anyone out there (apart from Jo - who I know is!)that is happy with their broadband service?

collinf
collinf  111219 forum posts
12 Sep 2003 - 11:12 AM

Me. I am v happy with my broadband. I am on NTL set-top box service (not ADSL). I have had no problems uploading to ePhotoZine, surfing the web or getting and sending email. I picked up Welchia (similar to Blaster) even with Firewall and AV running, and cleared it within two minutes.

That said, my father is running with a company called Freedon2surf (www.f2s.com) through a BT line and he has no problems with that either. He's got a desktop and a laptop sharing the same connection.

:o)
Collin

Little Jo
12 Sep 2003 - 3:38 PM

Hello everyone

The comments on the effect of the 1571 service are interesting. I have Call Minder (the answering service with BT that you subscribe to), and messages on that don't have any impact whatsoever on the broadband, though it did when I had a dial-up connection - then the modem was set to look for a dial tone.

As for others - well I've numerous colleagues using various broadband packages and there's no complaints. Some are with BTOW, a few with Tiscali, some with NTL, a few with Freeserve, and one or two with AOL. We're not all in close proximity either.

The ADSL Guide site I mentioned in my last posting should be informative. BTOW recommended that to me when I was thinking about setting up a wireless network so our laptop and desktop could share the internet connection. There's plenty of expertise and more importantly, there's a good selection of customers from different areas of the UK using the various broadband options.

I do hope those experiencing problems are up and running again soon.

Jo

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.