Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice, pleeeeeezzzee!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    milly123
    milly123  477 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Have been bamboozled into taking photos of a charity bike event.

They hope they will make some extra money by selling a few photos of people cycling their hearts out climbing up some local hills. My contribution is to take and edit the photos. They have now asked me (as if I would know) about the best way to sell them etc. I haven't a clue of the best way to go about it! I don't want to go down the route of printing and sending them out, I was thinking more of people downloading them.

Any help and advice would be gratefully accepted......

Milly

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2013 - 11:54 AM

Your best option would be to take orders with payments and have them processed by a printing company and delivered to them. To sell them you would need to showcase the pictures on a website or sharing site like flikr, you will need to put some very distinctive copyright notices right across the pictures as all the riders and family will do is copy them for free. But unless they see them will not want to buy.
    The best time to sell is within a very short time of the event while the intrest is high so prepare yourself some time to quickly edit and upload the pictures as they will possible come into the thousends if you want to cover everything, the picture taking is the easy part, I sometimes spend 3 times basic editing pictures than I did at the event.

hopefully it goes well for you but dont be disaponted if there are very few sales as there are so many cameras at these events that very few will want to pay for them

puertouk
    puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2013 - 1:57 PM

Hi Milly, seeing its for charity, these people should want to purchase pictures, especially if you can capture them with agony written across their faces as they battle to get up the hill. Try not to get distance shots, but relatively close ups. Head and shoulder shots. Pointless getting shots of these people at distance, as they would not be able to tell if was them or not. Maybe you already know this, but just in case, eh. Wink I did a "walk for life" photo shoot, here on Tenerife for a breast cancer charity not long ago, so all the best with yours.
    Stephen

milly123
    18 Feb 2013 - 7:03 PM

Thank you Kev and Stephen.

I think the organisers only want to sell the pictures by allowing people to download. From what I can understand, once the person has paid their fiver, the photo will have the watermark removed and they will not mind who downloads the picture. Do you think that is being too simplistic and in reality, it will be far more complicated? I really do not have any idea!

Milly

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Feb 2013 - 10:50 PM

What we do is ask the charity organisers to speak to the participants about purchasing the images. The participants then give their email addresses along with the money and all we have to do is process the images and email them to each. We don't worry about trying to give each person their own pic, just send them all over to them as an album. They have paid anyway and they might even be pleased to see the other riders. This is the simplest way and means the charity get the money instantly. We tried it before by offering to print images and only sold 2. The event at the weekend took a lot more money this way and they set the charge at 3.00 per person. If the price is too high no one will bother as they will have already have paid to enter.
    Hope this helps.

Blackcrag
    Blackcrag  136 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Feb 2013 - 10:58 PM

As a thought why not create a slide show and sell on a disc. You can portray the reason for the event and some slides about the charity and how to support them in the future. If someone then wants a print they can get one themselves.

Gary

milly123
    19 Feb 2013 - 8:41 AM

Thank you Jane and Gary, two more ideas I hadn't even thought of! I think you're right about keeping the price low, better to have 3 than nothing...

Milly

779HOB
    779HOB  21034 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Feb 2013 - 8:51 AM

I'd agree with janeez sell them the electronic files mostly they will want to put them on facebook etc and not have prints. I'd set up a dropbox folder and dump the images there and then share with everyone who paid and gave an email. You also collect a bunch of emails to add to your mailing list!

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2013 - 10:47 AM

Moving slightly on from what we do normally. At our event not everyone had paid so I am now sending the images to the event organiser who is sending them out as soon as they receive the money. Even easier!!! Don't get caught up with too much work doing this. You're doing a great deal with photographing the event and processing the images which can take up a lot of time. Some of the participants asked to see the images before they bought them (pure vanity!) which would mean me going back and putting watermarks on every one of them. More time taken up and after 8 hours of processing, resizing etc I said NO. They are 3.00 for an album of images so they can jolly well pay!
    Just make sure your contact details are visible so if someone else wants you to do something for them then they know who you are. Smile

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Feb 2013 - 12:24 PM

Quote: Hi Milly, seeing its for charity, these people should want to purchase pictures, especially if you can capture them with agony written across their faces as they battle to get up the hill.

To be honest if the people are doing it for charity they may think a bit of give back may be in order, i.e free pictures, or at least nominal costs. I am doing a charity cycling event that will take me a few months of training to do and cost me around 250 so yes I would pay 5 to have a picture I could download, but no more. I would sort of hope the charity involved would provide that as a thank you.

Just an alternative view. I see it from both sides of the fence as I also help run a charity and you need to make certain you reward those who help you, even if it is only symbolic. I also do photo's for events and let people have free digital copies if they have done something towards the event for free, or charge if they effectivley a customer. Which charity event is it, will I be one of the people grimacing past you??

Last Modified By strawman at 19 Feb 2013 - 12:27 PM
    milly123
    19 Feb 2013 - 1:21 PM

Thank you Focused, Jane and Strawman for your thoughts and ideas, given me some more things to think about! The event will be in Bedfordshire, the date hasn't been finalised, yet!

Milly

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.