Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Advice from parents and nursery / school togs please, re pricing please!

jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2011 2:21PM
I know, everyone hates a 'what price for....' thread, but I could really do with a little guidance.

A neighbour who helps run a local nursery approached me this morning and asked if I could come up with a price for shooting around 20 small children in a single session (perhaps over two days if there are lots of unhappy kids on day one!). Now I only ever shoot portraits on a one-to-one basis and am pretty sure my normal pricing structure wouldn't work here....

So I wanted to ask, have any parents on here bought photos of their nursery-age kids recently? And if so, would you mind sharing roughly what you paid, and what you got for your money? May be worth bearing in mind that I'm in the NE of England, and prices here are lower than many other parts of the country...

Any advice from school / nursery photographers (either in terms of pricing, or more general advice) would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2011 4:23PM
hmmm kids , nurseries ...advice ? ........ RUNAWAY .....Tongue

no to be honest Im in the north east and a regular print from a kids photo session runs from 20-40 pounds depending on how its displayed ie glass frame etc etc when they do the big school photo sessions , maybe you should base the price on the amount of time it will take , do they want you to supply prints too ?
6 Sep 2011 4:30PM
Must admit that was my first thought Wink

I have worked out a notional price based on the time I reckon it'll take to shoot, edit, process, deal with print orders, travel and so on, but really just wanted to check I was in the right ballpark. Going by your figures I should be about right. Regarding prints, I thought I'd turn up and do the shoot for 'free', then hopefully turn a modest profit on the print sales (through my website). I do remember when I was at school, you were given the photos to take home for inspection and could choose whether or not to keep them (at which point, obviously, you paid for them too).

Thanks for the reply!
big fella 11 485 England
6 Sep 2011 11:29PM
A recent comparison that I did (in the Cambridge area):

Pack containing 1 8x6, 2 7x5's and 4 wallets inc strut mounts '15.00 - from "Cambs Photo's"
Pack with 1 7x5, 2 6x4 and 4 wallets @ 16.95 from "Van Cols"

These were the last 2 I saw. One did a sale or return and the other offered a proof card. Both had a minimum pack to purchase before you could take any of the other offers (10x8, extra 8x6 etc)

If you are doing this for a school/nursery, don't forget that they would normally expect a commission from any sales (anything from 20 - 30%)

HTH

Andy
7 Sep 2011 12:10PM
Cheers for that Andy - that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I guess these larger outfits have big buying power when it comes to strut mounts and probably get preferential rates from decent labs too......

Hadn't considered that the nursery might want a cut too - will have to check that and factor it into the quote! Might have to come up with something a bit different to give a USP - maybe a handbag sized accordion book or some such.
boony 8 978 3 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2011 1:06PM
no prices BUT lots of info from arguably one of the biggest production line photography suppliers - http://www.htempest.co.uk
md123 3 1
21 Nov 2011 1:23AM
These guys are pretty good http://www.limephoto.co.uk/nursery

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.