Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice Needed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Projumper
    Projumper  2 Wales
    27 Jul 2014 - 7:43 AM

Hi All, I have recently purchased a MacBook Pro, after years of using a PC, I am not a Wizz, yet found the PC much easier and friendlier to use!
    I would like some advice on what photo editing and storage software to use? I will only be using it for keen photography use.
    I look forward to your suggestions

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jul 2014 - 7:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2014 - 8:09 AM

Give yourself a little time with the MacBook - it really is a very intuitive operating system. You might want to look to this forum thread for some good tips on how to acclimatise to your new settings.

In terms of image editing software - what did you use on your old PC? Adobe LR is cross platform (if you still have an installation disk to load it from). In addition, when I made the switch Adobe were very good in allowing me to transfer my licence from Windows to the Mac.

If you are starting from scratch it becomes a question of your needs versus budget. Most of the major image editing applications used on Windows are available for the Mac. In addition Apple do there own software - iPhoto and Aperture. iPhoto is intended for the masses, whereas Aperture is a direct competitor to LR. However - before you go down this route I have recently read that Apple have announced that they will not be updating Aperture in the future - making LR the better buy IMHO (I am biased anyhow having used LR since V1).

You could consider the monthly leasing option of Adobe Photoshop and LR as a bundle - others will be able to tell you more about this. However, there are a plethora of good image editing packages out there if you are on a tighter budget, or if you don't need the full feature set of a programme such as Photoshop. E.g. Photoshop Elements.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Last Modified By sherlob at 27 Jul 2014 - 8:10 AM
    gala
    gala  1685 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Jul 2014 - 8:45 AM

Just one thing - Aperture is coming to an end and everyone being encouraged to swap to LR.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96343 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2014 - 11:40 AM

Quote: and everyone being encouraged to swap to LR.

Everything I have seen is to switch to the subscription CS6 / Lightroom bundle not to just buying Lightroom as a perpetual license.

Jestertheclown
    27 Jul 2014 - 5:22 PM

Quote: Everything I have seen is to switch to the subscription CS6 / Lightroom bundle not to just buying Lightroom as a perpetual license.

Agreed.

Adobe aren't going to point anyone towards a relatively inexpensive (100ish?) piece of software that you only pay for once.

Projumper
    Projumper  2 Wales
    25 Aug 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thank You All, for your replies,
    As I said, I am not a whizz!
    Does this mean I have too subscribe to a photo package, or can I purchase package outright? If the later, which one is the best for a beginner?

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4663 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom63 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2014 - 3:48 PM

Try a free processing programme first.......Serif, Paintnet or Gimp (Google them).....& see how you get
    on with these.......

Then set yourself a budget & look at paid-for programmes......Adobe Elements 12 for example (under 100)

But don't rush headlong into pro. stuff.....it's expensive & can be daunting to a beginner in processing images.

Good luck !!!!!!!....Smile

Projumper
    Projumper  2 Wales
    25 Aug 2014 - 9:57 PM

Thank You Niknut, thank you for your advice, I will see if my Son will download Serif for me, I will try my best to understand the software!
    I will update you on my progress.....Smile

Chris_L
    Chris_L e2 Member 1261 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
    25 Aug 2014 - 11:23 PM

Don't buy anything just yet. Try iPhoto for now, it's free and it's getting an update soon, new program will be called Photos. It may well be that it will do everything you want. Basic editing, keywording and backup.

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7577 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    26 Aug 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm a Mac user and would recommend Lightroom - it can still be bought as a one-off instead of the subscription system. iPhoto is OK but I find it slow and would wait to see what Apple's new photo s'ware is like which is due out soon. If you have a PC version of LR the license will be transferable to the Mac version.
    For manipulating photos Photoshop Elements is good (and fairly cheap) or try GIMP which is free (though I haven't used it).
    BTW, as far as I know, Serif is PC-only but I could be wrong.

RajeshTaylor
    29 Aug 2014 - 10:08 PM

Try downloading the free 30 day trial version of Lightroom. Watch some youtube tutorials and you'll be surprised how much you can pick up in a couple of weeks. Good luck.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.