Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice needed on a E-bay scam.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ChrisStyles
13 Feb 2013 - 6:28 PM

Hi all,
I listed my 5D for sale on E-bay and stated on the add that it was UK shipping only, just before the end of the listing I had an e-mail asking if I would ship it to Portugal? I mailed back saying thanks for the interest but I will ship in the UK only. Now at the end of the bidding the same guy is the winner and asking me to ship it to a mate in Cardiff.....Again I said no and would re-list it as he was a time waster and that I would report him to E-bay. This was at 4.30 and he has now paid for it and asking for it to be shipped to the address in Cardiff even though I've told him he's not getting it??
There is no way I'm sending it but just wondered how you would handle thisTongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2013 - 6:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

goexplorephotography

I can see you point, but I cant see what the buyer has done wrong. your are posting within the uk.
Unless your listing stated for sale only to uk based people, he has the freedom to bid. You should post it recorded delivery so you have evidence it was received.

plus you could withdraw the money from your paypal account before you post it.

I did sell a camera to someone in portugal about 5 years ago and all was ok.

Paul_Anthony
13 Feb 2013 - 6:40 PM

Once the money is in your PayPal account it's yours.

I don't see what the problem is. Sounds like a result to me, you wanted to sell the camera ans ship it within the UK, he wanted to purchase the camera and is happy for you to ship it to his mate in Cardiff. He is probably having his mate forward it on to him in Portugal.

I'd send the camera to Cardiff if thats what he is requesting you do.

Paul

ChrisStyles
13 Feb 2013 - 6:42 PM

Why not just buy a 5D in Portugal? Plus it said UK shipping only and he never asked me about shipping to a mate in Cardiff before bidding plus the address is a business park not a home addressTongue

ChrisStyles
13 Feb 2013 - 6:45 PM

Plus he has 0.0% feedback.

Paul_Anthony
13 Feb 2013 - 6:46 PM

He may well be an ex-pat and puts his trust in UK sellers. You've been paid and he is happy for it to go to Cardiff. Make sure you send it Recorded or better still Special delivery so you have proof of postage and more importantly proof of receipt the other end.

Paul

goexplorephotography

You should have said. now it sounds dodgy. you can offer it to the second highest bidder

MikeA
MikeA  91133 forum posts England
13 Feb 2013 - 6:52 PM

Quote: Once the money is in your PayPal account it's yours.

Paul

LOL. Ever heard of Claw Back

I would do the same as the comment above and offer to next highest bidder.

Last Modified By MikeA at 13 Feb 2013 - 6:53 PM
Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7788 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom171 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 6:53 PM

I only send stuff to a confirmed address through Paypal. I would be cautious about sending to 'a mate'. You could lose your 5D. Also he could do a Paypal charge back ( I think that's what it's called ) and he may get his money back plus the 5D. This has happened to my girlfriend a while back, not for the sum of money your 5D would be worth though. Zero feedback is a worry.

You can change your settings so only people with 5 or more positive feedback ratings can bid for your item. There are other safety settings you can choose from so it may be worth having a look at your account so, in the future, you can limit who can bid.

Re-list is my advice.

Last Modified By Paintman at 13 Feb 2013 - 6:57 PM
ChrisStyles
13 Feb 2013 - 6:59 PM

I've reported him to E-bay and as you say offered it to the next highest bidder...should I keep the moneyWink On pay-pal you get 45 days to open a dispute and they can take you to court for any money they think you oweSad

JJGEE
JJGEE  96097 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 6:59 PM

Quote: Also he could do a Paypal charge back ( I think that's what it's called ) and he may get his money back plus the 5D.

Appears to me that this e-bay & Paypal system is not a good / secure way of doing business.

I would walk away and find some other way of selling your camera gear.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92966 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 7:01 PM

Quote: he could do a Paypal charge back

He could indeed where in this case I would relist.

llareggub
llareggub  3638 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 7:10 PM

I have done this before although I usually do not push the fact, my permanent home is in Hungary but I am British and have a house in the UK... If he has paid for the item and you have the funds put it in the post!

Having said that I do understand your wariness!

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 7:12 PM

Your buyers address with pay pal will be an address in Portugal, the address you are being asked to send to is not the registered address of the buyer in Portugal.
The buyer in Portugal can prove he paid you, how ever by sending the item to a non registered address you cannot prove you sent the item.
You are allowed to refuse any sale on Ebay, you just then cannot claim your listing fees back.
Anyone can open an Ebay account, but paypal required verification so ignore the cardiff ebay account holder, its meaningless in terms of creditability.
Proof of posting isn't proof of recite either, and getting it signed for won't mean anything either as you have not sent it to the address that paypal verified as your buyers, in a dispute you would loose on that point.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 7:21 PM

Quote: Once the money is in your PayPal account it's yours.

Paul

No its not, Paypal holds the money from both parties until the transaction is complete,
it was the idea behind paypal at its inception,
a pay pal account is not like a bank account, it is a third party account, in which pay pal are the party to which the buyers sends money,
and pay pal hold it, until the buyer has received the goods,
only releasing the funds to the seller once the transaction has followed through.
Thats why pay pal can freeze an account, suspend an account, and repay money from one account to another,
they are a third party transactor.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.