Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice needed on a E-bay scam.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ChrisStyles
ChrisStyles e2 Member 6378 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 7:52 PM

Now saying that he will open the resolution center on e-bay if i don't ship it to the UK address that he has provided.....10/10 for cheekTongue

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2013 - 7:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell
13 Feb 2013 - 8:03 PM

0% feedback............................................DO NOT SELL IT

Re-list it due to timewasters and write on the description, you will not accept buyers with under 10 sales and say 95% feedback. You can send the money via Paypal back or just don't accept it.

I could go on and on about how to protect yourself and if your sending it insured, THEY pay the insurance/p&p, so they claim from the post office, not you, the money stay's in your account, if anything goes wrong.

DONT SELL is my advice mate!

somersetpaul
13 Feb 2013 - 8:32 PM

Quote: Now saying that he will open the resolution center on e-bay if i don't ship it to the UK address that he has provided.....10/10 for cheekTongue

This is good and works to your advantage (been here myself). Let him open a case, you will have the option to refund, then refund him in full. Once the case is closed he can't leave negative feedback because you have refunded. In the meantime offer it to the next highest bidder.

Remember to block him as a bidder in future in case he tries to make mischief for you!

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Now saying that he will open the resolution center on e-bay if i don't ship it to the UK address that he has provided.....10/10 for cheekTongue

lol, cheeky little chappy isn't he.
tell him under the terms and conditions of Ebay you cannot send him the item as he is not a uk registered buyer, and refund his money.
then report him, so other sellers don't get landed with this kind of pressure scam.

llareggub
llareggub  4684 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 8:39 PM

Once again, maybe the chap is genuine, "Jonny Foriegner" is not always trying to screw you!

Be careful but not necessarily dismissive Smile

samueldilworth
13 Feb 2013 - 8:40 PM

You nearly always get more if you offer to ship across Europe, especially now that the euro is so strong against the pound (making your items look cheap to eurozone bidders). It’s safe as houses, too.

Since he’s paid, there’s a good chance he’s genuine, but with zero feedback and a non-PayPal-registered address, I would probably not ship to Cardiff since there’s the risk that (a) he doesn’t get the item, or (b) he claims he doesn’t get the item. In both cases you’d be left in the lurch since you shipped to a non-PayPal address.

You seem to have two choices:

1. Offer to ship to his PayPal-registered address in Portugal after all, charging him the postage difference (10 quid or whatever) by PayPal. Personally, I’d do this (how can you lose?).

2. Abort the sale and refund him. I’m not sure if you’d get your listing fee back in this case. You could give it to the second-highest bidder if you’re happy with the price.

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 8:58 PM

I know it's a little off track but comments like he has 0% feedback don't sell it it to him are out of order we all had 0% until we bought goods and got feedback. everyone has to start somewhere

Brian..................

ChrisStyles
ChrisStyles e2 Member 6378 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 9:05 PM

Here is my main point....His friend in Cardiff must be a good friend to trust with a £800 camera so when he saw it was UK shipping why didn't he just ask his friend to go onto E-bay and bid for him?? Why hasn't his friend there got a home address?? Defo stinksSad

rogerfry
rogerfry e2 Member 8506 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 9:08 PM

You could ring Paypal customer services on 08707 307 191 and discuss it with them....open till 10.00.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93497 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 - 9:29 PM

Quote: I would walk away and find some other way of selling your camera gear

Yea....It's called EPZ Classifieds....you sell a camera for £500 and you get £500
.....all thanks to Pete's generosity.

Last Modified By MikeRC at 13 Feb 2013 - 9:35 PM
Rev2
Rev2  4218 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 9:39 PM

Quote: You could ring Paypal customer services on 08707 307 191 and discuss it with them....open till 10.00.

Great advice. Paypal usually sides with the buyer, search Paypal scams on YouTube and don't send your camera until you are 100% sure. One negative feedback v loss of camera?

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 9:46 PM

Quote: Once again, maybe the chap is genuine, "Jonny Foriegner" is not always trying to screw you!

Be careful but not necessarily dismissive Smile

Rules are rules for a reason.

Trekmaster01
Trekmaster01 e2 Member 139 forum postsTrekmaster01 vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 10:02 PM

You should only send the item to the register address. If you loose the camera because of some scam then it's up to paypal to refund you all of your money. Look at the Paypal / eBay seller protection scheme and follow the rules to the letter. e.g. Only send to the address registered with the eBay account / paypal. Send via a tracked method, that way you can prove you sent it and it was received. So long as you stick to these rules you are safe. I've done 800+ deals on eBay and never had much of a problem. The only times things went wrong eBay refunded my money. That includes a 5D mark III I bought and never received and lenses I've sold for £1200+.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yep agreed we have a Top Rated Seller Status on Ebay. NEVER send to anything other than the paypal protected address and ALWAYS recorded, you can also remove international postage when listing to save this happening again and just sell to uk if you wish.

HenryTree
HenryTree  3
14 Feb 2013 - 1:01 PM

To O.P., I've not used PayPal in a while but I seem to remember if you refund the money you have to pay PayPal a fee. The best way to get his money back to him is to REFUSE the payment, IIRC.
This advice seems fairly up to date:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5875766_refuse-paypal-payment.html

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.