Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on any good books on Photography in General

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SEMANON
SEMANON  295 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jun 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just wondered what photography books anyone would recommend, just general stuff for beginners

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jun 2012 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
30 Jun 2012 - 1:28 AM

Check on amazon for books by Scott Kelby - an American guy who is a guru with photoshop..
He has a series of books about digital photography, having just recently published the 4th in this series. They're easy to read, very well illustrated and you can jump in at any chapter, as each one is a different topic. His Photoshop and Elements books are damn good too, if this is your software of choice.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2012 - 2:17 AM

You can browse the book reviews here.

Glynn
Glynn  81169 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2012 - 11:47 AM

HERE

JJGEE
JJGEE  96304 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2012 - 11:49 AM

Glynn,
That book has been sold out for several years, so it is no longer an option.

martin.w
martin.w e2 Member 12352 forum postsmartin.w vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you read further down Glynn's link, you can download a PDF version for 9.99 Wink

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
30 Jun 2012 - 2:00 PM

Personally, I would use Amazon (as suggested earlier) and use the 'Look Inside' feature (although not all books on Amazon have this facility). You can then see the contents and decide if it's what you want. I tend to ignore book reviews because they only give one person's opinion.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
30 Jun 2012 - 6:15 PM

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a popular item too..have a gander while you're on Amazon..

daviewat
daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
30 Jun 2012 - 8:21 PM

I have a hardback copy of the EPZ book, have 2 actually :_) so could sell you one.

SEMANON
12 Jul 2012 - 7:30 PM

Quote: Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a popular item too..have a gander while you're on Amazon..

I have bought and am reading currently - very good, I'm learning a lot from it.Wink

pablophotographer

Before buying have a look at your local library.
Tom Ang could be a good start, many books, comprehensive.

mikehit
mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 8:15 AM

I agree that Understanding Exposure is an excellent book - it is still a good 'refresher' even after all these years.
As you get a bit more experienced then I would recommend 'Perfect Exposure' by Michael Freeman.

When it comes to things like composition there are a whole heap of books out there but I find the best thing is magazines, books and websites like this one and see what sort of picture grabs your attention and work out why - they try to copy it.

Last Modified By mikehit at 13 Jul 2012 - 8:17 AM
MattK
MattK  263 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jul 2012 - 11:38 AM

I have to agree with KevinEllison. Scott Kelby's books are fantastic - I have his "Digital Photography boxed set" and it is great. Covers a wide range of topics and uses easy to understand language. Look on youTube too as he has some great short tutorials.

I would also recommend Ian Farrell's "Complete guide to Digital Photography" and "The Digital Photographers Handbook" (Doug Harman and David Jones) as good starting points. Both can be found in Waterstones and are relatively cheap.

Hope this helps.

Matt Grin

SEMANON
19 Jul 2012 - 2:29 PM

I am reading Scott Kelby's Photoshop book (elements 10) currently and do find the advice helpful, I also have book 1 - Digital Photography book - his stupid jokes annoy the hell out of me and do spoil a good read a bit, I'd still buy his books again though. Also been reading Understanding Exposure & Close- Up photography by Bryan Peterson, prefer his style, amazing photo's too.Going to get photographers eye - Michael Freeman. So one thing for sure I've a lot to take in and will be very busy - still while the weathers so terrible, might as well. I hope it does brighten up though so I can get out a bit more to use my new found knowledge.Cheers for all the advice/tips - finding myself using this site more than any other, very valuable to a beginner like me.

MattK
MattK  263 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jul 2012 - 3:29 PM

To be honest I have learnt more by just going out and shooting and being a part of this site than I have from my books. This forum is incredible and the people on it are so helpful.

There are tonnes of good books but there is nothing like getting out there with your camera, turning auto mode off and getting to know your settings by playing around with them.

I did need to read up on though was depth of field and flash/speed lights!

I hope the books are useful and you learn a lot.

Matt

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.