Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Advice on Camera Rain Cover

robway e2
9 317 Wales
14 Dec 2013 9:38AM
I really got caught out yesterday in the pouring rain around Moel Siabod. I did have a plastic bag which turned out to be useless. I ended up with some rain on the back of the camera body resulting in the water playing havoc with the electrics. I did dry the camera out overnight but still spent the time wondering how much this escapade was going to cost me.

Fortunately, by the morning, the camera was functioning full. However, having learned the lesson the hard way, I don't intend to take such a risk again. I have a Canon 5D Mk 2 and any advice on rain covers would be gratefully received.

Thanks, John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2013 10:15AM
Op-Tech Rain Sleeve - always handy to keep one in your bag.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/ephotozine-21/detail/B000PTFDYO
icphoto 13 1.5k England
14 Dec 2013 10:50AM
Check out http://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk/ they have a good range of waterproof covers for various setups, reasonable price as well.Smile
darrensmithgbr 10 238 1 England
14 Dec 2013 12:04PM
when caught out, a disposable raincoat works well, the sleeve will most likely have an elastic around the wrist which will fit over your lens and then you can have something that works well and it a lot more lightweight, cheaper than a camera cover and it looks the same!
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2013 2:40PM
I always keep a disposable shower cap in my bag (liberated from various hotels...) just in case I get caught out, and I have a waterproof cover for my bag for when conditions are too extreme. A decent shot in those conditions is unlikely anyway, so I don't see the need to unnecessarily risk my equipment. The shower cap has always worked fine for me.

Nick
robway e2
9 317 Wales
14 Dec 2013 2:46PM
Many thanks for your comments, plenty for me to consider. Whatever I decide, I will certainly be fully prepared in future.

John
Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2013 3:57PM
Matin Digital Camera Raincape (Medium) - 13.99 from WEX. Good quality for the price and folds small enough to keep permanently in your camera bag.

Matin Raincape
IanBurton 5 78 7 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2013 4:15PM
I use a rain cover from one of my hiking rucksacks and use a hair bobble to secure it. It works a treat as it doesn't flap about and tear like plastic bags do.
779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2013 7:16PM

Quote:I ended up with some rain on the back of the camera body resulting in the water playing havoc with the electrics.

What camera is it?

Edit - I see it's a Canon. Sort of explains it. I remember being out with some other snappers all using Canon. It started raining and they had all sorts of problems. Mainly with water stopping the camera from focusing.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
14 Dec 2013 8:09PM
if you want the best get one from here i have two never let me down yet Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.