Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on Camera Rain Cover

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    robway
    robway e2 Member 9317 forum postsrobway vcard Wales
    14 Dec 2013 - 9:38 AM

I really got caught out yesterday in the pouring rain around Moel Siabod. I did have a plastic bag which turned out to be useless. I ended up with some rain on the back of the camera body resulting in the water playing havoc with the electrics. I did dry the camera out overnight but still spent the time wondering how much this escapade was going to cost me.

Fortunately, by the morning, the camera was functioning full. However, having learned the lesson the hard way, I don't intend to take such a risk again. I have a Canon 5D Mk 2 and any advice on rain covers would be gratefully received.

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Dec 2013 - 9:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock
    14 Dec 2013 - 10:15 AM

Op-Tech Rain Sleeve - always handy to keep one in your bag.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/ephotozine-21/detail/B000PTFDYO

icphoto
    icphoto  131453 forum posts England
    14 Dec 2013 - 10:50 AM

Check out http://www.outdoorphotographygear.co.uk/ they have a good range of waterproof covers for various setups, reasonable price as well.Smile

darrensmithgbr
    14 Dec 2013 - 12:04 PM

when caught out, a disposable raincoat works well, the sleeve will most likely have an elastic around the wrist which will fit over your lens and then you can have something that works well and it a lot more lightweight, cheaper than a camera cover and it looks the same!

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2013 - 2:40 PM

I always keep a disposable shower cap in my bag (liberated from various hotels...) just in case I get caught out, and I have a waterproof cover for my bag for when conditions are too extreme. A decent shot in those conditions is unlikely anyway, so I don't see the need to unnecessarily risk my equipment. The shower cap has always worked fine for me.

Nick

robway
    robway e2 Member 9317 forum postsrobway vcard Wales
    14 Dec 2013 - 2:46 PM

Many thanks for your comments, plenty for me to consider. Whatever I decide, I will certainly be fully prepared in future.

John

Campervanman
    Campervanman e2 Member 6717 forum postsCampervanman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2013 - 3:57 PM

Matin Digital Camera Raincape (Medium) - 13.99 from WEX. Good quality for the price and folds small enough to keep permanently in your camera bag.

Matin Raincape

IanBurton
    IanBurton  470 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2013 - 4:15 PM

I use a rain cover from one of my hiking rucksacks and use a hair bobble to secure it. It works a treat as it doesn't flap about and tear like plastic bags do.

779HOB
    779HOB  21034 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Dec 2013 - 7:16 PM

Quote: I ended up with some rain on the back of the camera body resulting in the water playing havoc with the electrics.

What camera is it?

Edit - I see it's a Canon. Sort of explains it. I remember being out with some other snappers all using Canon. It started raining and they had all sorts of problems. Mainly with water stopping the camera from focusing.

Last Modified By 779HOB at 14 Dec 2013 - 7:21 PM
    colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111072 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2013 - 8:09 PM

if you want the best get one from here i have two never let me down yet Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.