Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on filters appreciated

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jerry1963
Jerry1963  5 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hello, I am a new member to the site and am hoping that someone might be able to help me with some advice on filters. I have recently purchased a Nikon D80 with 18-70mm lens. I am think about buying a polarising filter and also experimenting with ND filters. I have looked at Cokin and also Lee, but I am a little confused regarding quality vs price etc and where the money would be best spent. I see that Cokin have the A series, P series, Z-Pro...!! Also is this a better option than say the screw on variety such as Hoya? In future I would like to buy a telephoto zoom and it would be useful if the same filters could be used.

Many thanks for any advice.
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2009 - 10:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2009 - 10:34 PM

Jerry, for your camera the filters I would recommend are;

1 Graduated filters if you want to darken the sky down (think of 1,2,3 stop ones)

2 Circular polarisers

3 If long exposures are your thing then Neutral density could be handy

4 If you want to try Infra red then one of those.

When using graduated filters, square filters are the best, so you can move the graduation point about. If you go the Cokin filter series then I advise avoiding the A series as they are too small. The P-Series can be thought of a budget series, and they will be fine for your existing lens and telephoto. You just buy the adapter ring to suit your camera lens. The Z series are bigger and made from a better grade material so they can be used on very wide angle lenses as well as the rest (e.g 10-200 sigma).

Many rate the Hoya series as better again but they cost more again. I have and am happy with the Cokin Z series. I found the P series to suffer from colour casts. With these types of filters you buy a holder and get different lens thread adapters. So you get one adapter ring for each lens size, but use the same filters on all lenses.

Polarisers can be had in square or screw in varieties. As the lenses I use filters on are all the same thread size and I only use one filter type at a time I went for screw in. Also circular polarisers (as opposed to linear ones) are supposed to work better with modern camera focusing and metering systems. For the same lens size reason I use a screw in neutral density filter.

And infra red again I will only use one and I am buying a screw-in Kood one after reading some web articles as I know it will work with my lenses and camera.

Last Modified By strawman at 13 Jan 2009 - 10:35 PM
Jerry1963
13 Jan 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hi strawman, thanks for the advice, that was exactly the type of info I was after, especially about the Cokin range. I would rather spend a bit more on better quality filters than spend less and find I have bought the wrong thing.

Cheers
Jerry

strawman
13 Jan 2009 - 10:48 PM

No problem but let me point out my typo's

first many think that Lee not Hoya make a better alternative to the Z series. and the sigma lens is the 10-20 a 10-200 would be an interesting lens.

Try going on an EPZ meet as members are very good about letting you borrow filters for half an hour or so.

Good luck.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2009 - 12:48 AM

Don't be afraid to start with Cokin P holder and filters, they can be found very cheap on Ebay, and it's easy to remove a colour cast on the PC. The P system is great for finding out what you will need, and you can get a top quality one later. I had Cokin Z and sold it because here in Canada I couldn't find a destributor, and I ended up paying a fortune in shipping and exchange on the dollar. I'd definitely go with Lee in the future, because they're available everywhere, including used.

Good Luck

Jerry1963
15 Jan 2009 - 10:06 AM

Thanks straycat, appreciate the advice. Money is always an issue and sometimes you have to balance between what you want and what you can afford!
Cheers

Metalhead
Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 10:30 AM

Have a look at Hitech aswell. I think they're regarded as "better than budget" filters but not as good as Lee filters. They also fit the Cokin P size filter holder (the Hitech 85's do) but they also do 100mm square size as well.

I've got ND Grads from them, 1, 2, and 3 stop, plus a 1-stop ND filter. They seem to be good enough for my amateur needs!

Last Modified By Metalhead at 15 Jan 2009 - 10:30 AM
Metalhead
Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 10:37 AM

This link will take you direct to the ND Grads I was thinking of. 12.77 for the 85mm square size.

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
15 Jan 2009 - 1:04 PM

Quote: Have a look at Hitech aswell. .

I have a D80 and use Hitech with a Cokin holder, I think they are excellent and good value for money

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 1:16 PM

i have used cokin grads for a while, cant say i have had any problems,
i see lots of comments about must use Lee, must use Hitech. can someone explain the benefits other than the obvious which is they are clearly better made, is there are difference optically, what effect does it make on the image, etc,
regards,
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 15 Jan 2009 - 1:17 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 1:20 PM

Phil, if you have had no problem, then thats fine.
Some people (me including) have problem with color cast when using cokin with 40D, but not with Lee.
I generally prefer the filter holder system of Lee, much easier to use, much better quality.

strawman
15 Jan 2009 - 1:22 PM

I agree the Lee holder is better but the 40D thing is strange as I have a 40D and Z-Pro's and not noticed the problem. It could be a batch thing??

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 1:49 PM

what sort of cast are we talking, its kind of hard to tell without a comparison, and if you shoot raw and tend to underexpose, not being awkward just want to know if i could get significantly better results. i tend to hold my filters anyway so the holder things not an issue for me, im talking Nikkor lens by the way
Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 15 Jan 2009 - 1:50 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 2:02 PM

magenta cast, on the top half where the grad take effect.
handheld is too awkward as you might get reflection or flare if it is not parallel to the lens.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 15 Jan 2009 - 2:04 PM
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2009 - 2:09 PM

I used to have the Cokin P filters....didn't like them.....kept getting casts and also the edge of the holder can appear in the photo which is really annoying...in the end I bit the bullit and went for the Lee system. Personally I think you should buy only once .

Go for the Lee.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.