Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

advice on lens required

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Artangel
    Artangel  4 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 12:16 PM

I am a newbie to the site and have been taking photos for a little while. Love wildlife and am considering a telephoto longer than my present 75-300mm on my Sony A350. Can't affor 'loadsamoney' . Would I be wasting my money on a Samyang TELE LENS 650-1300mm IF MC f/8,0-16,0 for SONY . Anyone got one and if so what is quality of image like. Happy to use tripod and manual focus, any other lens suggestions for around 200, can't get a Sony without huge loan.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Oct 2009 - 12:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    17 Oct 2009 - 12:49 PM

It's a linear relationship. Good telephoto lenses cost lots of money. If it doesn't cost lots of money then its not a very good lens. End of.

Overread
    Overread  63762 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 1:10 PM

The long telephoto type lenses your looking at there - the 650-1300mm are very weak options for telephoto work - espeailly for wildlife.
    On the first case they are a 650mm f8 standard lens, but with no auto focus and with no aperture changing, its fixed at f8 all the time. That will limit you a lot with lighting, meaning that you will have to be out in very good light to get shots at the faster shutter speeds that wildlife demand.
    The you get a 2*teleconverter with the setup which takes it to a 1300mm f16 lens - again the aperture is fixed and at f16 its pretty much a 1300mm landscape lens not a wildlife lens - you would have to be in very intense lighting to get anywhere near a decent enough shutter speed.

Finally there is the optical quality - at only $200 for this setup your taking a big drop in opticl quality. Results from the lens even without the teleconverter will be very poor, not just in sharpness but in other areas like CA - add the teleconverter (its a cheap one as well) and your going to get extremly soft results.

I would avoid them - they might be fun to play with for an hour, but after that they are a rather expensive paperweight. Instead tighten your belt and save - wildlife photography is one of hte more expensive areas of photography, especailly if you want good gear.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7868 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    17 Oct 2009 - 5:08 PM

Check out the sigma range and search on here for comments,

There are a few that will get you 400/500mm and you are then into teleconverter territory where in my experience the 1.4x is better than the 2x regardless of make.

Artangel
    Artangel  4 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 6:18 PM

Thank you for your advice people, I will just have to wait until I can get something a lot better. I know I won't settle for 'soft' shots and would be frustrated with no creative choice.

bigalguitarpicker

Yes you're better waiting and saving up Artangel. I've got an Opteka 500mm f8 which gives me 1000mm@f16 with my x2 converter. It's fine for a bit of long distance fun. I paid about 90 for the lens and already had the converter, which I use sometimes with my Nikkor 70-300. For serious photography though, especially wildlife, it's just not up to it.
    Alex.

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 9:18 PM

Quote: wildlife photography is one of hte more expensive areas of photography,

Some of my best wildlife shots have been taken with a standard zoom! Wink

Overread
    Overread  63762 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2009 - 9:34 PM

show off Wink
    should I replace expensive with challenging?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.