Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on renting a lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scartlane
    scartlane  368 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Aug 2013 - 9:07 AM

Hi

Wonder if you guys can help,
    Im off to south africa and mauritus for a couple of weeks in a month.
    While in south africa we are in cape town and out on safari, im thinking that i need a new lense with quite a large Fstop as most of the safari will be in low light conditions.

anyone any expericen of being on safari? what size fstop and mm to go for? im thinking renting is probably all i can afford at the moment but no idea where to start to look.
    and ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Aug 2013 - 9:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2013 - 10:18 AM

not been on safari but from what i have seen a 300mm 2.8 and a 1.4 tc is all thats need, as you get close enough to the animals. A bean bag will be useful to rest the lens on the racks of the jeeps for some stability.
    A recent post on the very subject with images http://nikonrumors.com/2013/08/24/guest-post-nikon-d800-goes-wild-in-africa.aspx...

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 26 Aug 2013 - 10:22 AM
    rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8509 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    26 Aug 2013 - 1:51 PM

From a quick look at your portfolio it would appear that already have a 70-300 lens, and I would have thought that it would be quite suitable for what you're doing.

I've been on a few safaris, and my main camera/lens combination has been a Canon 7D with a 100-400 f4-5.6. The lack of a wider f stop has never been a problem, as although you leave camp at the crack of dawn, the sun rises quickly, and the next couple of hours are really beautiful light.

Bear in mind that if you rent anything like the 300 2.8 mentioned, you are carrying a lot of weight!

(My own solution to the size/weight problem was the purchase of an Olympus OMD EM-5, with a Panasonic 100-300 lens last year, and the lack of wide aperture was never a problem)

Graham_Rainham
    26 Aug 2013 - 3:35 PM

You can hire everything you need from here at very reasonable rates.

The 90-250 f/2.8 will give you the reach of a 180 - 500 mm in 35mm equivalent FoV.

Have fun

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.