Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on setting up visiting portraiture business

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 12:36 PM

not if you were going door to door in doncaster or sheffield this week

the weather drives you mad last year it was too hot and numbers at events were down due to hard ground, ya can never win in real life can you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2007 - 12:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geoffphoto
2 Jul 2007 - 12:38 PM

Quote: Not if you were going door to door in doncaster or sheffield this week

Yeah, but you live in Hayle - that's a bit far too go just to take a few snaps Paul !!

PS Just think of me getting wet again at the Eden Project tonight !!

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 2 Jul 2007 - 12:41 PM
peter shilton
2 Jul 2007 - 12:39 PM

So its the Olan Mills route for you then Paul?

Perhaps you could sell them a timeshare at the same time?

ZenTog
2 Jul 2007 - 12:40 PM

actually thats a good idea Peter, theres a cracking timeshare place near us, we could set a studio up there, loads of moneyed people , loads of money
no I would be aiming at the family price range and undercutting Venture by about 1000%

Geoffphoto
2 Jul 2007 - 12:43 PM

Ah Yes, but Peter hasn't got his camera yet !!

(If you ever want to hire a couple of Bowens, Paul ! )

ZenTog
2 Jul 2007 - 12:45 PM

well got my Dlites 4`s not as posh as bowens but very good for the job , did you see charles Roffs exhibition in that new photographic gallery in Penzance ,went there on the fireworks at mazey eve

Geoffphoto
2 Jul 2007 - 12:48 PM

Oh Yes !! - Amazing stuff !! Charlie Roff was the reason I took up photography in the first place - I'm still in awe of his work - I sorta know him, he went to my old school in Penzance - he borrowed a lens off me once !! but sadly i've never been on one of his shoots..........I see he also has a big fan in Lee Searle !! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery !!!! Smile

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 2 Jul 2007 - 12:51 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 1:15 PM

Paul, What about Tolroy Manor just up the road from you, they get a busy summer season Smile

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 1:53 PM

It seems to me you have very little experience and as nearly all young families have compact cameras and theirfore, loads of images of their kids, what can you offer them? Just because you have some lights a decent camera (but not decent lenses for the job) does this make you a portrait photographer? How will you cope with the kids who won't play ball and you have to spend an hour coaxing them into getting just one shot - time is money.... How will you get parents to pose properly, because they "feel silly". Just because they are in their own home doesn't mean they will be relaxed, you have to make them relaxed, which somehow I think you'll struggle to do at the moment as you don't have a lot of confidence and will feel under pressure yourself.

If you're willing to "shadow" a photographer then you must be willing to do some freebies. Get your family & freinds to sit for you and don't charge a penny. If you're not confident then you shouldn't be paid, get your reputation built up first, then perhaps you will be in a position to charge people for your services. It's not always about the product, but about the person providing the product....

You will also need Liabilty insurance and possibly a CRB and of course a degree in diplomacy...

Good Luck

ZenTog
2 Jul 2007 - 4:35 PM

well I have the degree in diplomacy after 4 seasons event togging, got 5 mill public liability, plus a crb check , plus employees liability, plus all the gear, now have I any idea???
think if this bad weather carries on its wedding photography for me for next sping , god help me

Last Modified By ZenTog at 2 Jul 2007 - 4:38 PM
Craftysnapper

Before advising him to charge more has anyone actually looked at his one example image in his gallery asking for advise Smile

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
2 Jul 2007 - 7:18 PM

Quote: Before advising him to charge more has anyone actually looked at his one example image in his gallery asking for advise

I did say, given his admission of lack of experience, that 50 was expensive. If you have all the gear and experience that a pro should have, then of course, it's fine to charge pro prices. We all have to start somewhere, but given his limited experience etc, there's no way he should be charging some of the figures bandied about here. If I was employing a tog charging me 200, I'd want to see some previous work and it would need to be good. I applaud his efforts to get off his backside and get out there and find work, but with no track record, I'd be surprised if people would pay the figures suggested here.

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 7:24 PM

totally agree

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 7:39 PM

People are not landscapes, still lifes or buildings... they need coaxing, and making feel at home. You'll be putting them in alien positions and generally making them feel uncomfortable, so it's up to you to take their mind of it and get them to be your puppets.

If you're good at that even with stubborn b'stards, then go for it.

I for one have never charged a penny for a sitting because I never really feel confident enough on the people side, it's hard - a baby shoot I did last week nearly beat me.

If they want some prints I'll make a few quid of course - they've seen Venture's prices so I'll be a pittance of that Smile

But little things like hand and feet positions can make or break a shot - also, do you know how to make a chunky person look thinner? Things like that are intuitive to these old hacks, that's why they get paid decen cash

Me? I just make people look like coal miners!

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 2 Jul 2007 - 7:45 PM
Hanners
2 Jul 2007 - 8:13 PM

But bloody good coalminers at that LOLSmile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.