Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on setting up visiting portraiture business

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123967 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 8:18 PM

Just like weddings in portraiture people skills are paramount and are at least as important as your L lenses or whatever; having said that as usual you need to buy the best lenses you can and you may find that your existing glass is inadequate in delivering quality; I use a 35mm f/1.4L and an 85mm f1.8 both of which are superb when coupled with a 5D.

The organisations: SWPP; BIPP and the MPA all run courses on portaiture and some research into good books on the market will help in lighting techniques. total familiarisation with your techniques including posing and lighting is important as you don't want to be looking totally amateur in front of clients fiddling with lights or whatever.

As for s many pros charge little for the session knowing full well that they will be well recompensed with the subsequent print orders which in my experience can be substantial.

Best o' luck, Peter.

Last Modified By peterjones at 2 Jul 2007 - 8:22 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2007 - 8:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 8:29 PM

Cheers.... though I didn't dare do it to Teresa when she was here on Saturday though Tony Smile

Posing and portrait's a thing you need to do a lot of I guess, I've got men sorted - i.e. lots of mates have posed under duress

Little kids - done one session with 4. Nightmare

Babies - 2 sessions, once, too small, second time, miserable baby syndrome

Women - 2 sessions, easier than kids of course, but still need to read the book on telling them how to pose - got there in the end, but there's a lot of laughing and dodgy/naff shots in between Smile

hence I never charge... yet Smile

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 8:39 PM

I haven't charged yet for any sittings, as I tend to rely on the print sales, but to be fair I do a lot of Nurseries so when you shoot 250 kids a week (and everybody loves their own little cherubs), I get a decent return. But it's not just a case of turning up, setting up lights, gaining kids confidence - even the crabby little sods and pointing a camera at them, you've got to process all these shots so that time has to be taken into connsideration too. At the end of the day it's bloody hard work, but hugely rewarding and enjoyable - most of the time....Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 9:02 PM

Quote: I have no laptop so can't download the pics for people to choose at the time in their house

If or when you feel ready get a laptop and Lightroom and shoot tethered, it will save so much time plus the customer can see the pictures at the end of the sitting. Will not need to be a top spec laptop neither Smile

peter shilton
2 Jul 2007 - 10:08 PM

Further to my previous comment advising you to charge more I have now looked at your portfolio.

I do not feel that you are ready as yet.

Have a look at some of the images on the portfolios on here, and when you are nearly up to that standard, give it a go.

But if you do it regardless, and make a go of it, good luck to you.

It's a tough world out there.

Last Modified By peter shilton at 2 Jul 2007 - 10:13 PM
garamerun
garamerun  727 forum posts England
2 Jul 2007 - 11:24 PM

I agree with Paul about the need for a laptop. When i do portraits for family and friends i allways have my laptop with me. This way your customers can see the results there and then. Get rid of the shots you dont need and take a deposit for any they want printed. You can also edit in photoshop if needed, crop etc.When you get home send off to photobox. Like i say i do this for friends and family so i cover my cost only. I think using a laptop would make you look more professional when turning up at someones home. I would also agree about the need for L glass but you could try getting a 50mm 1.8.

tanyard
tanyard  7105 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jul 2007 - 2:28 PM

I believe running through the shots onsite with a laptop and taking a deposit would generate a higher print order. That way you could avoid the sitting fee, telling them the sitting is free, and cash in on the excitement of instant playback to create eagerness to buy. Fortune guaranteed.
Seriously, it's a tough commercial world out there. Good luck.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2007 - 4:29 PM

Quote: I would post the pics on photobox a couple of days later, in a professional gallery

This will have the potential of putting customers off, some will be paranoid of the thought of having there siblings posted on the net. Also not everybody owns or has access to a PC.

I`ve had a look at your sample pic in the CG, although its ok as a snap, its not quite at pro level yet and thats using natural light. How will you cope with studio lighting, you still have a fair way to go. Good luck anyway.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
3 Jul 2007 - 4:53 PM

Quote: This will have the potential of putting customers off, some will be paranoid of the thought of having there siblings posted on the net. Also not everybody owns or has access to a PC.

I'm sure he would use the "private" facility, where only the people that you invite can view the photos. They are not for public view, unless you select that option. I would think just about everyone has access to a computer if they want it, public libraries are free, and well used from what I can see.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2007 - 5:07 PM

Quote: I'm sure he would use the "private" facility, where only the people that you invite can view the photos.

Yup but I have had people refuse even that. For some people the words internet & pedophile are so closely linked they "dare not risk it" !?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.