Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice on software for repairing old prints

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    DarylH
    DarylH  442 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jul 2012 - 10:00 PM

I have a friend who has some old family photos that are now showing signs of age, wear and tear, etc and he wants to try and scan them and revitalise them. He has asked me about which software to use but I know nothing of how to achieve this.
    He doesn't really want to spend the earth on software as he only wants to produce a respectable copy.
    I wondered about Photoshop Elements, but is there anything else that would provide the tools to do this.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jul 2012 - 10:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jack_Schitt
    12 Jul 2012 - 10:21 PM

there are a whole bundle of things out there from photoshop to serif and coral, but why not pay for a retouch service ....plenty of people out there doing stuff for next to nothing ........dare say if you asked on here there would be a few people willing to do it for you for a small fee

Jack

Jestertheclown
    12 Jul 2012 - 10:30 PM

Personally, I do all that kind of thing using CS6 but this chap might be able to help.

Pat_Stones
    12 Jul 2012 - 11:14 PM

Jestertheclown, I seem to recall that you were completely underwhelmed with Photoshop CS6. What was it that changed your mind and made you buy it?

Jestertheclown
    13 Jul 2012 - 7:56 AM

Hi Pat.
    The beta of CS6 was rubbish as far as I'm concerned and despite your condescending remarks at the time, it genuinely did cause me a lot of problems. It seems, as it turned out, that I wasn't he only one.
    The real thing, however, behaves much more as I'd expect it to.
    I'm still not its greatest fan, it's not such a huge leap from CS5, in my opinion, that everyone should rush to upgrade but it does have some redeeming features.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123126 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2012 - 8:36 AM

This may be of some use to you.

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-tips/how-to-repair-scratches-tears-and-s...

thewilliam
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:07 AM

I know several working professionals who still use Photoshop 7 in the workroom and Nikon D2X cameras in the studio because these tools do their job well. Earlier versions of PS don't allow repair of defects with the same speed and convenience.

We only upgraded from PS7 because we needed to handle 16 bit layers.

DarylH
    DarylH  442 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Jul 2012 - 9:34 AM

Thanks Franken, looks an interesting tutorial, I have forwarded it on to my friend.

Thanks Jester, I shall mention that guy to my friend as a possibility.

Last Modified By DarylH at 13 Jul 2012 - 10:08 AM
    Pat_Stones
    13 Jul 2012 - 10:56 AM

I see Jester, so what was it that changed your mind and made you part with your hard-earned cash?

User_Removed
    17 Jul 2012 - 9:18 PM

Maybe Jester means Lightroom CS6??

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.