Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice Photos from the Net for My Travel Blog

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    WeeGeordieLass
    WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2338 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
    18 Nov 2012 - 10:07 AM

I need some advice on using photos from the net for my Travel Blog. I'm going on a tour down the River Ganges in India in February and want to keep my family and friends up-to-date with my exploits when I'm away. I've set up a website which I intend to update a few times a day when I'm away with photos and stories. I've started blogging and adding posts now in the build up to my trip, hoping to increase interest.

For anyone whose remotely interested it's called "A Geordie Up The Ganges" (I don't think I'm breaking EPZ rules by adding this link as my website is not a competitor of EPZ).

www.ageordieuptheganges.com

Anyway, what I need clarification on is using photos downloaded from the net for my blog posts before I leave for my trip (when I'm on the road I'll be uploading my own shots).

What is the correct protocol for using other people's photos?

It's easy to copy a photo off the net, but there doesn't seem to be the photographer's name to contact to get their permission to use the image, or pay for the use.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how to ensure I don't get into trouble or upset anyone.

Cheers

Elaine

Last Modified By WeeGeordieLass at 18 Nov 2012 - 10:12 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Nov 2012 - 10:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    18 Nov 2012 - 10:21 AM

I would personally have a look on flickr or epz etc for photos that you like and get intouch with the owner and ask can you use there images and give credit to them and links to their folios or images also. Keeps you on the right side.

WeeGeordieLass
    18 Nov 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Gareth, I'll do that. I'll do searches on EPZ, I've never used Flickr before but I'll have a look.

I like the idea of putting links to photographers EPZ portfolios on my website too.

Cheers

Elaine

Last Modified By WeeGeordieLass at 18 Nov 2012 - 10:29 AM
    KNS
    KNS  4106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:14 AM

Search the Creative Commons sections in Flickr - go to Advanced search, bottom of the page, click on only search in Creative Commons, once you 've found your target images you sould see which type of CC licence has been applied (attribution etc etc) follow the licencing agreements and you should be good to go.

It is also, naturally, polite to ask.....hope you enjoy your trp

RTR
    RTR  5 United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:22 AM

The photographer owns copyright to his/her photos, it is illegal to use them without permission. I've heard some websites like flickr have a clause in their terms and conditions which says they have copyright to any photos uploaded as do some competitions you may enter. I also read somewhere on here as well that Facebook can use whatever photos are uploaded without your perimission! In short you are not supposed to use other peoples images without permission, so I would advise not too. However its up to you whether you take the risk, I would imagine if you search on google, upload to your website nothing will come of it, and it probably happens all the time. Its not much help, but its up to you really. If you want to do it properly, then you go on certain stock image websites and buy the use of images, I dont think it costs all that much.
    Cheers
    Rich Grin

KNS
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:41 AM

Just for information and to save any confusion -

Creative Commons is a licencing system in which lovely people allow free usage of their images - usually for non- commercial purposes, such as yours....you will not need to pay anyone, just follow the licensing conditions attached to any Cc image you may find - most often attribution, which means you acknowledge in your postings who took the image.....there may also be a condition in which you are forbidden from modifying an image....it's all very friendly and easy to follow.....

WeeGeordieLass
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi Kevin and Seri,

Thanks for your great advice.

I hadn't heard of Creative Commons before now...........

It's great that photographers will allow use of their shots in this way.

I'll feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I've got full permission to use images on my blog.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify things for me - it's a great help.

Cheers

Elaine

KNS
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:52 AM

You're very welcome Smile so long as you make sure the images are licenced CC you should be good to go Smile

Last Modified By KNS at 18 Nov 2012 - 11:54 AM
    WeeGeordieLass
    18 Nov 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for helping me with your advice.

I had considered taking a risk but my conscience wouldn't let me do it. I think you're right - it probably happens regularly, but I've seen posts on here from upset photographers who've found their images being used without their permission and I can understand why they would be upset.

I've had a quick look at some stock photo sites, and you're right, it's not too expensive to buy just a few shots.

Hopefully when I get on my journey I'll be able to upload my own shots.......

Cheers and thanks for your help - much appreciated
    Elaine

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 62052 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2012 - 12:29 PM

I would ask each photographer personally about using each of their images on your blog.

This link might make you aware of the 'possible' implications of not doing so.

WeeGeordieLass
    18 Nov 2012 - 3:44 PM

Hi Andrew,

That's a great link.......very, very useful, thanks I've learned a lot by reading it.

I'll certainly err on the side of caution.

Thanks again

Elaine

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.