Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice please , canon 70-200 f/2.8Lusm or 70-200 f/4 is usm

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Sbar1
    Sbar1  4
    1 Jul 2010 - 8:03 PM

Not sure which way to go, non is 2.8 or is f/4, will be shooting some motorsport & some portrait/ travel candids, mostly hand held work. open to advice, thanks Sbar 1

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jul 2010 - 8:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davey_griffo
    1 Jul 2010 - 8:55 PM

I don't use Canon myself, so I don't know these specific lenses, but in general terms, I'd say your choices are:

If it's a straight choice, & you can afford either, seems like a no-brainer. Go for the fast lens. You'll only wish you had at some time in the future.
    If you have a certain amount to spend, & want another lens or accessory with what's left, go for the f4, as the extra stop may prove less useful than the other item.

You've not really been specific enough about why there's a choice. Is it budget, thinking you may not need the extra stop/expense, thinking of buying something else at the same time?

Last Modified By davey_griffo at 1 Jul 2010 - 8:57 PM
    Doglet
    Doglet  753 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Jul 2010 - 9:04 PM

Well I am only an amateur at this but I would go for the 2.8 it will give you a broader scope in taking pics. I have one and it is great.Grin

Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2010 - 10:07 PM

The way I see it is like this:
    Both lenses are going to be sharp and optically sound choices, the f4 version is even generally rated at being a hair sharper than the f2.8 at f4 - however we are splitting hairs here as both are very high grade to start with. So I would not worry about overall optical quality from either.

Secondly you have aperture - the f2.8 offers you wider max aperture and the option of more light to be used in dimmer conditions whilst also giving you the creative option of being able to shoot at f2.8. Further more if you consider using a 1.4 teleconverter the f2.8 again gives you more aperture to work with in comparison to the f4.

Thirdly you have size and weight, the f2.8 is larger and noticably heavier than the f4. This is sometimes the major point for most people and the first time you see/use an f2.8 it feels massive and overweight. However (and this comes from someone who is not big nor muscly) the f2.8 version is certainly within most peoples capabilities to grow used to and given a month of so of good use and you can easily use it.

Fourthly there is IS - something that the f4 version gives you that the f2.8 lacks. Remember though that this is only going to counter your handshake motions. For something like motorsport this might not be an issue as you push for faster shutter speeds.
    There is a 70-200mm f2.8 IS L however its not out of production with second hand going for about its original new retail cost and its retail cost being totally out of control (most places just have no stock at all). The M2 of this lens is a massive jump in price from the others you're considering so whilst I'll throw it into the pot to consider I suspect its far more in cost that you are willing to invest.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2010 - 5:29 AM

A hair here, a hair there.....Wink

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2010 - 8:30 AM

After owning both of the lenses, I'd recommend the f2.8 for sport I found the f4 slower than the f2.8 & I didn't use the IS as it slows the focus down. It is heavier, but you soon get used to it.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2010 - 8:38 AM

Having owned a F4 before, and now a 2.8 IS, I could definitely recommend you to get the 2.8, even it is non IS.

Sbar1
    Sbar1  4
    2 Jul 2010 - 7:28 PM

Thanks guys for your collective advice, Overread spot on my friend the 70/200mm f2.8is11 is more than i have to invest just now, with the other two lenses both in the region of 1000.00. Thanks again look forward to try my new 70/200mmf2.8usm Sbar1

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2010 - 11:39 PM

The factor that might influence the choice is your travel requirement, the f2.8 is heavy, and if you are planning to fly a lot, the f4 IS might be the better choice. I have the f2.8 IS and it starts taking its toll on my wrist strenght after a few hours use.

Late
    Late  3
    3 Jul 2010 - 9:07 PM

I chose the f/4 IS version. It is half the weight of the f/2.8 versions, which are really heavy lenses - about the same as the very substantial 100-400L. Get to try before you buy Wink

F/2.8 is obvioulsy nice to have, but unless you use it on a fairly regular basis you are carrying it about for no benefit. Also, looking at the two lenses you have selected, you will miss out on the finest incarnation of Canon's four-stops IS system, which is arguably more useful than an extra stop of aperture. Plus the f/4 lens is fractionally sharper, it has weather sealing and a cirular diaphragm for nicer out-of-focus background effects.

AndyLeslie
    14 Jul 2010 - 9:30 AM

I've taken many sports and wildlife shots with my f/4 lens and always been thankful that it's so light in comparison to the f/2.8 and never really suffered by my choice, especially with the 1.4x extender.

However, remember that the f/2.8 can be used with the 2x extender as well as the 1.4x, whilst retaining autofocus, a plus point that can be very useful.

pulsar69
    pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jul 2010 - 1:12 PM

or dont forget the excellent 200mm prime which i have just posted this photo from !

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.