Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice please-- Canon or Sigma

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mondmagu
    mondmagu  474 forum posts Ireland
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:12 PM

Hi all,looking for feedback please.I am looking to purchase a macro lens for my EOS 450D. I am torn between the following two---Canon 100mm f2.8 USM or Sigma 105mm f2.8. Both can be bought for virtually the same price(Sigma 30 euros extra).Can someone guide me as to which has the better optics and ultimately the better results?

Des

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  71876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:22 PM

Hello Des. Are you sure you've got those prices the right way round? The Canon is usually more expensive than the Sigma... Maybe the introduction of the 100mm L IS macro model has lowered the price of the non-IS non-L model?

Most people will tell you that optically there's not a lot of difference between the Canon 100mm, Sigma 105mm and Tamron 90mm macro lenses. So it comes down to other factors like build quality, how/if the lens extends during focus, and personal preference etc.

If the price is so similar, personally I'd stick with the Canon brand as you know it will always work on any future Canon DSLR using the EF mount. The Sigma, being a third party lens and much older, may not work on future models without the need to be re-chipped.

Image quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of them as the Sigma gets raved about alot just as the Canon does.

Last Modified By Metalhead at 14 Oct 2010 - 4:23 PM
    fraser
    fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:26 PM

I've heard the Canon lens described as an L series lens in waiting the quality is so good. I have one in my gadget bag and it's the best lens I have despite the fact I also have two L-series zooms. I'd say go for the Canon.

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:34 PM

Canon Although there's nothing wrong with the sigma and tamron (have used both) I find the canon a bit better on image qoulity and a bit faster in the focusing department

mondmagu
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:39 PM

Thanks for the input guys,appreciated.And Metalhead I thought the same but the Sigma is slightly dearer,I checked twice.The prices came from two shops--one did not supply Sigma lens and the Canon was 500 euros,while the other shop was charging 530 for the Sigma and .........700 euros for the Canon.That is some difference!!! I hate being ripped off!!
    Des

lawbert
    lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:42 PM

Quote: Canon Although there's nothing wrong with the sigma and tamron (have used both) I find the canon a bit better on image qoulity and a bit faster in the focusing department

The Canon 100mm has a USM motor drive which is far faster at achieving focus (and also very quiet) compared to the grindy noisy Meccano motor the Sigma 105mm uses......Its a no brainer to me...Get the Canon...the prices are really chaep at the moment (even on the 100mm L IS version) which I guess is due to macro lenses not being a desirable purchase as we head into autumn and winter so dealers are clearing stocks.

Overread
    Overread  63770 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:45 PM

Between the two I would agree that the canon has the overall better features and from what I've read remains one of the faster macro lenses for AF. The only downside to the canon is that it doesn't ship with a lens hood or tripod collar - those most consider the collar not needed the hood is something you will probably end up looking to purchase as well as some point.

Quote: which I guess is due to macro lenses not being a desirable purchase as we head into autumn and winter so dealers are clearing stocks.

Wonder if this means the macro twinflash might lower to a sane price point Tongue

fraser
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:49 PM

I'd rather have the hood. The lens is no heavier than the body and it's not large so I think having the lens or body attached to a tripod would make no odds. My USM lens came with the hood BTW. It was a few years ago though and isn't the current IS lens.

Last Modified By fraser at 14 Oct 2010 - 4:50 PM
    fraser
    14 Oct 2010 - 4:51 PM

Quote: Wonder if this means the macro twinflash might lower to a sane price point Tongue

That would be nice, but unlikely.

mondmagu
    14 Oct 2010 - 5:01 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback.Looks like it's Canon!

Des

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Oct 2010 - 5:49 PM

The Canon is the only way to go, If the prices are very close.......Smile

I just " Focus " checked a Canon 100mm f/2.8 ( non IS ) ( non L ) version for someone, The lens was absolutely spot on, Not bad for a lens that has had a lot of use over many years.......Smile

Good though the Sigma might be, I doubt it will last as long as the Canon, Or keep its value......Sad

yackers1
    yackers1  3
    13 Dec 2010 - 7:32 PM

It's got to be the Canon macro ...............every time. It's such a sweet lens (link removed - please see terms and conditions)

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 13 Dec 2010 - 8:03 PM
    Cristian
    Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2010 - 9:05 PM

I looked at both lenses, plus the Tamron, but went for the Canon 100mm F2.8 (non IS) lens and glad I chose it. Sharpest lens I have, bought for macro images, but I'd had a fair bit of success with family portraits using it.

Super lens and I'd say worth the extra over the Sigma.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023092 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2010 - 10:37 AM

Quote: I've heard the Canon lens described as an L series lens in waiting the quality is so good

It's classed as a Professional Lens by Canon along with all the L Series lenses. Is it better image wise than the Sigma? Not really.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.