Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Advice please - Falcon 500mm ST Preset Telephoto Lens f/8.0

stanir e2
7 8 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2009 8:57AM
Please could anyone tell me about the following lens
I have done a search on the net and found no info about this Falcon 500mm ST Preset Telephoto Lens f/8.0
lens only on ebay

Your advice would be much appreciated
thanks
Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Jun 2009 10:40AM
Looks to be the same lens as I bought from 42nd.St. Photography in the USA except that mine's named "Opteka"
Mine was 80 or thereabouts and I was charged 9.84 import duty/VAT payable COD to the courier. As with everything, you get what you pay for, but although many people will condemn these cheapies out of hand, they're not bad. You'll have to use a tripod, as they don't do any better than F8, so it's small apertures and longish exposures. They're also totally manual, so you're focusing by hand. I find extreme distance focus isn't great, ie. shots of the moon are a bit disappointing, but closer in things improve a lot. As long as you hold it steady and don't expect miracles, you could have a lot of fun with it.
Alex.

edit : I'm afraid I can't show you any examples of photos taken with it. I've been doing a bit of housekeeping and I deleted loads of photos just a couple of days ago. I might get a chance to take a few shots later today and post them somewhere for you to see.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Jun 2009 10:45AM
Yes this looks like a very old design lens sold original as Prinz Galaxy (Dixons own brand) and Photax Paragon. They were a low cost entry into super telephoto. The quality is better than a budget mirror lens, but it's a totally manual lens. This means you open up the aperture ring so it's bright to aid focusing and then you have to remember to stop back down to take the photo. You have to use the camera in aperture priority or manual.
Don't expect the same quality you get from your camera's standard lens. The results will have less contrast and not be quite as sharp but satisfactory for the price.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
13 Jun 2009 10:45AM
f8 to f32

All but useless IMO.

Save your money and put it towards something better. If, as Alex says, it is an Optika, the optical quality will also be abysmal.
Nipped out, down to the river and took a few shots. No great care taken, but I did try to hold the camera steady! Posted half a dozen on my Flickr page for you to have a look at.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigalguitarpicker/?saved=1
Took the first with my Nikkor 35-80, which is very good optically. It was on the 2nd hand Nikon F50 35mm camera I bought for HND and I must have had it 3 years or more before I thought of trying it on my S3 Pro. I now keep it on there as my "everyday" lens, the Tamron 18-200 which previously filled this role is now on the film camera. I might never have realised how good it is, if I hadn't bought a Sigma 10-20 and a Nikkor 70-300. I tried the 35-80 just to fill the gap between the 10-20 and the 70-300 (Didn't want to lug about the 18-200 as well as the others.)
All the photos I've uploaded to Flickr were taken at the same settings, with the camera on the tripod and 2secs timed shutter release. Hope this helps, like I said, not the greatest lens in the world but with good light, not too great a distance and a tripod, it is usable.
stanir e2
7 8 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2009 4:48PM

Quote:Looks to be the same lens as I bought from 42nd.St. Photography in the USA except that mine's named "Opteka"
Mine was 80 or thereabouts and I was charged 9.84 import duty/VAT payable COD to the courier. As with everything, you get what you pay for, but although many people will condemn these cheapies out of hand, they're not bad. You'll have to use a tripod, as they don't do any better than F8, so it's small apertures and longish exposures. They're also totally manual, so you're focusing by hand. I find extreme distance focus isn't great, ie. shots of the moon are a bit disappointing, but closer in things improve a lot. As long as you hold it steady and don't expect miracles, you could have a lot of fun with it.
Alex.

edit : I'm afraid I can't show you any examples of photos taken with it. I've been doing a bit of housekeeping and I deleted loads of photos just a couple of days ago. I might get a chance to take a few shots later today and post them somewhere for you to see.

That would be great as I have a mixed reaction on here and i am still undecided.
stanir e2
7 8 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2009 9:22PM

Quote:Quote:Looks to be the same lens as I bought from 42nd.St. Photography in the USA except that mine's named "Opteka"
Alex.

edit : I'm afraid I can't show you any examples of photos taken with it. I've been doing a bit of housekeeping and I deleted loads of photos just a couple of days ago. I might get a chance to take a few shots later today and post them somewhere for you to see.That would be great as I have a mixed reaction on here and i am still undecided.

Quote:Nipped out, down to the river and took a few shots. No great care taken, but I did try to hold the camera steady! Posted half a dozen on my Flickr page for you to have a look at.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigalguitarpicker/?saved=1
Took the first with my Nikkor 35-80, which is very good optically. It was on the 2nd hand Nikon F50 35mm camera I bought for HND and I must have had it 3 years or more before I thought of trying it on my S3 Pro. I now keep it on there as my "everyday" lens, the Tamron 18-200 which previously filled this role is now on the film camera. I might never have realised how good it is, if I hadn't bought a Sigma 10-20 and a Nikkor 70-300. I tried the 35-80 just to fill the gap between the 10-20 and the 70-300 (Didn't want to lug about the 18-200 as well as the others.)
All the photos I've uploaded to Flickr were taken at the same settings, with the camera on the tripod and 2secs timed shutter release. Hope this helps, like I said, not the greatest lens in the world but with good light, not too great a distance and a tripod, it is usable.

They look quite good seeing as its a cheap lens .
And you took quick pictures
So by the sound of it you are quite happy with the results ?
stanir e2
7 8 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2009 9:28PM
bigalguitarpicker
Loved the panoramic (dundalkbay001) WOW what a view and a great picture
14 Jun 2009 12:58AM
Aye I'm happy enough with it stanir, cheap & cheerful is my notion, though others will say cheap & nasty! I didn't have my x2 converter with me unfortunately, otherwise I'd have popped off a couple of 1000mm shots too. I'd really love a Sigma 100-500 (who wouldn't?) but can't afford that!
Glad you liked my shot of Dundalk Bay, the colours are a bit iffy, I was breaking in a new monitor when I processed that one. There's some pics you might like on my website www.agphotoshop.com undergoing a revamp at the minute, and I have a couple of AV presentations on YouTube, which are listed in videos with my usual nom-de-web "bigalguitarpicker". My Nikkor 70-300 lens is another that the nay-sayers love to ridicule, purely because the lens-to-camera fitting is plastic, not metal. Well the nay-sayers can kiss my hairy Irish a** because the pictures turn out just great! OK, it'll wear out quicker than a metal fitting will, but I don't think that's going to happen in the next couple of days! I don't use my 500mm every time I go out, but I never go out without it. I could say the exact same about my Sigma 10-20. Commonly accepted as one of the best lenses available.
All this reminds me of when I made a couple of fly-fishing rods some years ago. There were those who looked askance at them, but I was able to cast just as far and catch just as many fish!
Graywolf e2
7 999 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2009 9:11AM
Makes an adequate doorstop
stanir e2
7 8 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2009 5:24PM
Thank you for all your advice and time .
I actually bid on ebay for a Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 DL PENTAX DSLR LENS as I have a 2x converter and won for 50 .
I was absolutly amazed as they are going for about 100-150.

And it was my birthday

Thank you for the advice bigalguitarpicker your time and unbiast help was much appreciated

Regards
Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.