Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice please, what washing machine with condensing dryer would you recommend?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 4:38 PM

My wife has suddenly decided we need to replace our Hoover Washer / dryer machine (I don't know why, its only about 38 years old and still works fine Grin ).

I need one like our current maching, with a condenser dryer so it doesn't need external venting and they all look to be in the 400+ mark, so I don't want to goof and buy a dud.

Any recommendations, either buy or avoid would be gratefully received.

(I knew I should have never told her about the money I made selling my canon kit! Wink )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 13 Aug 2012 - 4:39 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2012 - 4:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 5:09 PM

Bosch. Built to last.

ourdayphotos
13 Aug 2012 - 5:25 PM

I would swear on a Canon 5d MKII with the kit 24-105mm lens..

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 5:37 PM

I had one of those, didn't get the clothes dry and didn't like getting wet either! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 5:45 PM

Yep Bosh, never owned a washer/dryer but I swear by there washing machines.

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 5:46 PM

Unfortunately most modern washing machines (like a lot of other things) aren't built to last like they once were. Fifteen or twenty years use seemed to be the norm once upon a time, but it's probably closer to four or five years use nowadays, at least according to someone I know that repairs them. I believe you'll get a better quality and longer lasting machine if you step up from the likes of Hotpoint, Ariston, Hoover, etc. etc and go for something like a Bosch or Miele, but obviously that increases the cost quite significantly.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 5:56 PM

My last Bosh lasted a good twelve years, and that was with three kids at home.

I bought a new one thinking it was knackered, turned out the hose from the pump had simply become clogged with detergent and what not Smile

I found a review here of there washer dryer, looks good.

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/bosch/bosch-logixx-energy-saving-appliances.as...

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 5:57 PM

I've been quite happy with the cheaper hotpoint models in most "white goods".
Normally I buy from comet, but also just bee recommended appliance direct and appliance online.

brian1208
13 Aug 2012 - 6:01 PM

Quote: but it's probably closer to four or five years use nowadays, at least according to someone I know that repairs them

the lad that maintains our "oldie but goodie Hoover" has all the spares needed to completely rebuild it (and the model is over 40 years old!) and says the same.

don't seem to be getting a positive reaction when I remind "the boss" of this though

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 6:05 PM

Put your foot down and buy a new lens. Be a man and cower in the corner when you tell her though!!!!Wink

Paul Morgan
13 Aug 2012 - 6:30 PM

Quote: don't seem to be getting a positive reaction when I remind "the boss" of this though

Look at it as helping the environment and saving water Smile

robthecamman
13 Aug 2012 - 6:45 PM

send her down the garden to the river with a scrubbing board Smiletho iv a bosch bout 15 years

brian1208
13 Aug 2012 - 7:10 PM

Quote: Look at it as helping the environment and saving water

That's what I tell her when she complains I've been wearing the same clothes for a week Tongue

User_Removed
13 Aug 2012 - 8:11 PM

Bosch.

Consistent quality verified by Which? magazine across all their 'white goods.

Our Dishwasher is 25yrs old!!! (The Washing machine is 10+yrs old and the fridge-freezer is brand new [and Which? 'Best Buy'])

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Aug 2012 - 8:11 PM
brian1208
13 Aug 2012 - 8:20 PM

Hmm, thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated.

What I'm struggling with now is:

a) should I just ignore my wife and say we will replace our 38 year old Hoover, if / when it ever fails

b) if we go for a new one do I want to spend a bucket load of dosh on a machine that will probably outlast both of us or

c) do I buy one that will do for the next few years, invest the money I save in new lenses and worry about getting a newer one later

depending upon whether:

d) we are still able to live in our own home and do the washing
e) we are living in one of "God's Waiting Rooms for the Elderly" with someone else doing the washing
f) we have been used as fertiliser for the familes roses

I never thought buying a new washing machine could be so complicated Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.