Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advice wanted for Baby portraits

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ukuwi
ukuwi  10476 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2004 - 9:39 PM

I have a baby of 6 months old to photograph next thursday, the 8th, and I have only ever tried photographing a baby once and it was ok but not that good, I do not know the mother and baby and I want the pictures to be of salable quality.

So, if any of you out there can give me some good advice on good baby portraits, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Apr 2004 - 9:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bailey73
bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
3 Apr 2004 - 10:04 PM

We....or shall I say my wife had a professional photographer take some pics of our daughter when she was 6 months old and they were terrible.

The background was tacky, my daughter was led back and the pic was taken at a bad angle, etc

It annoyed me then that the wife used a so called professional, but she has recently done the same thing again.

I have just done a shoot for my sister of her 3 month old son and the results were pleasing - the way I tend to photograph babies are as follows:

1, Give the baby its most favourite toy - its relaxed and comfortable with it.

2, Dont over dress it - keep it in something that you would expect to see a baby in.

3, Support its head with a cushion if need be - most babies can support there heads ok on there own at this age but some still hang them low.

4, Keep pictures natural looking.

Hope that helps

Darren

UserRemoved
3 Apr 2004 - 10:13 PM

wait until they are 18 months then do a portrait

ukuwi
3 Apr 2004 - 11:11 PM

Many thanks for your advice Darren and they all make good common sense, would be interested in seeing one of your baby portraits, I am also after advice on lighting setup and anything that I should take in to consideration to eliminate mistakes., I have done five childs shoots from 7 to 10 year olds and were reasonably pleased with the results, but babies do not seem to have the facial expressions that children have apart from the odd smile or burp, I have the feelng that it will be harder to shoot than kids, And I suppose that it is probable that she will buy at least one for memories sake, I would just like to be able to do a good job for her and myself.

And to joefox, if I ask her to wait for a year, she might go somewhere else, just a thought.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2004 - 11:28 PM

Catch them when they are asleep. Like THIS

UserDeleted
4 Apr 2004 - 7:39 AM

Yeah - I love the way that the car seat sets the chirstening gown off Carabosse.

You could also try the bunch of keys trick. Jangling your keys just above - to the side of the camera - will attract attention and usually a smile or laugh.

Mike/

Nyx
Nyx  11533 forum posts
4 Apr 2004 - 8:37 AM

What about bubbles?Theyre only about 25p and little ones love em your bound to ge some gorgeous smiles and the bubbles can sometimes look good included in the photo.
Michelle

ukuwi
4 Apr 2004 - 9:15 AM

many thanks for your comments so far, and believe me all are very welcome, does anybody have any suggestions on lighting, backgrounds or poses please, many thanks

Nyx
Nyx  11533 forum posts
4 Apr 2004 - 10:05 AM

All depends on the baby for poses can he or she sit up yet?

darla
darla  11341 forum posts
4 Apr 2004 - 10:40 AM

Tony, may I just say that the portraits you have in your folio so far are fantastic!

I can understand your fear of baby portraits as they certainly can be temperamental little blighters!!!! There has been some good advice posted so far, but really you have to remember that all babies are different... a bit like cars I guess!!

Perhaps have an informal chat with the mother before the shoot, find out what her baby likes, what makes him laugh etc so that you can set the scene. Also find out what she plans to dress him in so that you can have appropriate backgrounds and props.

All you can do on the day is your best, if he is not in the mood to laugh, smile or play ball then it is not your fauilt. Best to make sure the shoot is going to be at a convenient time for him, not near to feeding time or nap time etc. When my boy was little the best time for photographing him was in the evening, as anything and everything was funny.

Hope this helps a bit
Rachael

ukuwi
6 Apr 2004 - 7:53 AM

Nyx: I would imagine at 6 months that the baby can sit up, unlikely that the baby can stand unaided. thanks for the bubble idea, just hope is a nice day for an outside shoot

Darla: Many thanks for your sugestions, unfortunatley I do not have control of the timing of the shoot as its booked for 10 in the morning as the mother goes to work at 12, just hope the baby is not hungry as I remember mine at that age when they were hungry.

Still looking for lighting and pose ideas if anyone can help as the clock is ticking. many thanks to all who have commented so far.

flossie
flossie  111557 forum posts
6 Apr 2004 - 11:43 AM

Can't really advise you on pose or lighting Tony ...just wanted to add my two penneth and say good luck.
6 months is a lovely age for photographs ...big eyes and easy grins (and an odd tooth maybe) I used to gently blow at my kids faces when they were babies and it always produced a smile (just don't have garlic the night before!!) Also maybe try a profile, baby noses are lovely from the side against chubby little cheeks.

rbf
rbf  1056 forum posts
7 Apr 2004 - 11:36 AM

6months is a fab age babies are pretty happy at that age, i used to shoot babies and at 6months you have two options shoot whilst baby is playing very cute in b+W or use a throw or a blanket and seat baby in the corner of a setee this helps support them and they are quite safe then using toys or rasberry blowing and make yourself look stupid to get a cute smile or a laugh, use a tripod if your comfortable with one then you can maintain eye contact with baby, the last resort is my favorite a sleeping baby slightly overexpose and shoot a sleeping babys face and feet,
the biggest biggest must is shhot from eye level of baby its much more flattering
b+w or a very slight sepia effect looks fab on babies.

good luck
jenni

ukuwi
9 Apr 2004 - 7:13 AM

many thanks for all the postings, Baby photo's have been put back unil Tuesday now, so I have a few more days to worry now, when it should have been done and dusted.

ukuwi
13 Apr 2004 - 8:36 AM

Well, I have 30 minutes to go before I leave, came back here to read up again on all the comments and advise, not feeling nervous, looking forward to getting more pictures in my portfolio.

A big thank you to all of you who have taken the time to comment.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.