Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Prime lens for Bird Photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    manorjim
    manorjim  6
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:26 PM

hello
    i am looking for a prime lense for birding,got a chance of a Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF ED lens,will this lense be ok on a d7000 body,also do you think the lack of vr will affect it.
    cheers jim

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72146 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:46 PM

If they're anywhere near as good as the Canon version, should be ok on cropped sensor or full frame, and work well with 1.4 and 2x tele converters.
    Probably worth investing in a good solid tripod and head also.

icphoto
    icphoto  131074 forum posts England
    17 Nov 2012 - 6:18 PM

Used on a tripod the lack of VR will make no difference - if you had it you would have to switch it off anyway. For some birds 300mm may not be enough, however coupled with a Nikon tele converter you should have enough pulling power.

KNS
    KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 8:45 PM

Yes it will be fine on a D7000. VR is overated, if you have sufficient shutter speed you won't need it anyway. The D7000 is reasonably good on high(er) ISO to get you to those higher speeds....

As someone says above get the Teleconverters. A 1.4 and 2x TC will make it a 420 f4 and 600 f5.6 respectively.... All 300 2.8's weigh a proverbial tonne....just somethng to be aware of.....

User_Removed
    19 Nov 2012 - 3:58 PM

Quote: Used on a tripod the lack of VR will make no difference - if you had it you would have to switch it off anyway. For some birds 300mm may not be enough, however coupled with a Nikon tele converter you should have enough pulling power.

as above.

DavidNikonD800
    DavidNikonD800 e2 Member 143 forum postsDavidNikonD800 vcard United Kingdom
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:45 PM

Bird Photography is not easy to do, I think 300mm is bit short, best around 400mm to 500mm, need fast lens with VR or IS are best advisable.

mikehit
    mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Nov 2012 - 3:48 PM

Quite a few keen birders I know use the 300mm f2.8 (or f4 if they cannot afford it) with no IS. I agree with the above: the shutter speed you need to freeze the wings often means that you are in non-IS territory anyway.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    1 Dec 2012 - 8:22 PM

If the 300 is an AF-1 version rather than a later AF-S version - use caution.
    The AF-1 was last made 16 years ago and many spare parts, especially the AF motor, are no longer available. It was a good lens - but generally cannot be repaired. Allow for this in the price you pay
    Turning to VR, VR lenses are probably outside the OP's price range, but I own and use a 300 f2.8 VR and disagree all the VR feedback.
    Nikon make the point VR helps steady the subject in the frame, helping get good AF lock on. I agree VR does not help reduce subject movement much faster than 1/500 shutter speed - but this is an academic arguement if AF misses a moving subject because VR was not being used.
    The 300 f2.8 VR has tripod mode VR Smile
    Tripod mode VR can help a lot at slower shutter speeds, and with a converter - 560-840mm equivalent angle of view on a D7000. VR can sometimes make the difference between sharp and unsharp; or head and wing feathers within the depth of field - this may need f11 or smaller - with a tight crop of a medium or small bird.

DavidNikonD800
    DavidNikonD800 e2 Member 143 forum postsDavidNikonD800 vcard United Kingdom
    23 Jan 2013 - 8:00 PM

Hi Have a look my album gallery which I took by 17-35 F2.8 all hand held no VR on this model. cheers

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jan 2013 - 8:03 PM

David how relevant is a 17-35 for bird photography, why are you flooding the forums with links to the images?

sarahcaroll
    25 Jan 2013 - 11:28 AM

also get a good monopod , i believe you can check out zoomin expert zone , they have a pretty good discussion on same

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.