Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Advise on what photo imaging software to buy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mumooz
mumooz  4 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hi everyone, i've been taking photos with my SLR now for about a year and think its about time i get some decent software, as im thinking about trying to sell some photos just locally. I'm using a Sony A300 which I love. I have heard that Photoshop software is good, what's everyones opinion? I cant afford to spend hundereds so looking for something thats affordable, or the most i can get for my money. I still consider myself a beginner so easy to use software is important, I welcome any advise so look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks people and enjoy your weekend

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2010 - 12:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RipleyExile
19 Feb 2010 - 12:14 PM

Photoshop Elements will have most , if not everything that you will need for photo editing and it's much cheaper than the full Photoshop. Even more affordable is GIMP as it's free and apparently it's very good (it's like Elements). There are plenty of tutorials in the technique and video section on here.

mumooz
mumooz  4 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Zander, is there any version of elements you would recommend?

colmar
colmar  742 forum posts Scotland35 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2010 - 12:18 PM

Elements 8 is out now and can be had for around 80 .... it is a grand editing programme and will cover most if not all eventualities for you Colin

RipleyExile
19 Feb 2010 - 12:20 PM

I've got full Photoshop so I've never looked at Elements or GIMP. Maybe someone else can advise if you can't decide from looking at the feature list of the various versions.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96038 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2010 - 12:23 PM

Paint Shop Pro is also excellent. I reckon your options are Paint Shop Pro (I'd not go any more recent than X2), Elements (an earlier version will cost less and be perfectly adequate) or GIMP which of course is free.

Probably the best option is to download trial versions and give them a go - and bear in mind that there are users of all three on here so there is bound to be someone that can help in times of crisis Smile

mcgovernjon
19 Feb 2010 - 2:19 PM

In theory, GIMP has everything most people need, but in reality, it's a waste of time IMO because everything is so difficult and annoying to use. (but that might be because I'm so used to Photoshop)

Jestertheclown
19 Feb 2010 - 3:16 PM

I sometimes use GIMP portable if I'm not at home and as Jon says, trying to work it out is a strange experience especially after CS2 which I normally use.
If you want something that's a match for Elements and better than GIMP, find a copy of Serif PhotoPlus. Old versions can be had for free online and more recent (not the most recent) versions can be had for very little money.
A friend of mine recently bought PhotoPlus X2 from Serif themselves for 13.00.
I've had a copy of that since it came out and it's pretty good.
I believe X3 is available now but if it will cost closer to 60.00 and I'm not sure it's that much better. As cattyal says re. Elements; an older version will be good enough.
Have a look on Amazon.
Jester.

mumooz
mumooz  4 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 - 3:43 PM

Thanks for all your advise, I have just down loaded GIMP, and have managed to re-size photos and try out some of the effects, works great so thank you

ellis rowell
19 Feb 2010 - 11:15 PM

I have used The Gimp for several years now, it is very versatile. If you are not conversant with the paid for software and are starting from scratch it should be no more difficult to learn.

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2010 - 11:23 PM

Plenty of Gimp techniques on here link

Last Modified By pennyspike at 19 Feb 2010 - 11:26 PM
Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2010 - 7:40 AM

I find The Gimp very heavy going but, many peopple swear by it. Why not try Paint.net it is free, easy to use but, has every tool you could want. Personally if you can afford it I would go for Elements 7 or 8.

Adam

thewilliam
20 Feb 2010 - 1:42 PM

Full Photoshop has many facilities that even professional snappers never use. I bought it because it's the industry standard and I depend on it for my living. Later versions often have useful features: I use CS2, upgraded fron version 7, and I wouldn't want to go back.

When we buy any piece of kit or software, we can never know exactly what we're going to use it for. Sensible people just keep their options open by buying well.

You have to be rich to buy cheap

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2010 - 1:51 PM

But you have to be very rich to buy the full Photoshop Tongue
I would also argue that such a large sum of money is not the best investment for a beginner or early level photographer - I would far rather put that money toward a really good lens/tripod/filters/etc... ie good quality products that help you capture the image. You can always edit an image at a later date if you get better editing tools (as well as editing skills) but you can't go back an retake an image that you missed because you didn't have the right gear.

Get the shot first then worry about editing it. That is not discounting editing as a part of the photographic process its mearly saying that its dependant upon having the image to start with.

Elements will do a lot for you - it is hobbled and many of the advanced tricks can't be easily or well done with it (which is one reason I hate many photoshop mags and articles because they are always made with full photoshop interface and features). However you can still do a lot of what is needed with the program. Further there are some good free addons and also 3rd party packages that you can add to the setup that will serve you well. (we have a thread around here somewhere that details some of these addons)

Saxon Marsh
20 Feb 2010 - 1:51 PM

You could try this, its free and quite powerful, and simple to use

paint.net

Keith

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.