Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Aesthetics (group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 7:59 AM

can anybody please discuss what is the aesthetics quality of an images?

how can it differentiate two images at the same time? or what are the factors that can uplift the aesthetic quality of an image or what are the factors that relate to the aesthetic quality of an image?

Please contribute your thoughts, it is really valuable...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jul 2010 - 7:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
10 Jul 2010 - 8:45 AM

I think this, although being a good question, is very hard to answer, which maybe is what makes it good! Aesthetic quality is about the person viewing the image isn't it? Aesthetic quality is a very personal thing. Can you create and image that has mass appeal, and therefore mass aesthetic quality? Yes I think you can. Look at Calendars, postcards etc.

Not sure it should be an interesting discussion and I look forward to others thoughts on this.

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2010 - 9:10 AM

From what I can remember from my studies many years ago aesthetics are not really about individual viewing in fact almost the opposite. Asthetics (it is claimed) is much more about being universally beautiful (or ugly or crass?) and further that asthetics transcends the cultural and social limitations of notions of taste.

The latter (notions of taste) clearly are not universal so what one group of people find beautiful may be ugly to another.

Asthetics is supposed to impact upon us in three ways I think:

1. I like this work (Our response)
2. This work makes me feel angry, relaxed, agitated
3. It gives me pleasure in some way

I think that I may have got this slightly wrong because they all seem to be rather similar. But the gist is that it solicits critical appraisal cerebrally, through our senses and through our feelings - I think.

So if this is sort of applied to the OP it might help to provide an asthetic route plan. There again my memory could be rubbish - so check with the AA before setting off!!!

Cheers

Robert

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 9:27 AM

Thanks AHobbs and Robert for your valuable input, you all are very much welcome to the group, please contribute,

yes you both are right, but there should be some common factors that can appeal the taste of the mass in general,

ok, i am providing an example (here is the link), this image is an example of a mass appealing image in this site, (or at least you presume the fact is true because this image has got a huge response), irrespective of nation, society, level of understanding, cast, religion, people liked it, because it is aesthetically pleasing,

so there should be some common factors which can relate to the aesthetic quality of an image and relates to the taste of the mass in general, and in this regard, what do you all think?

Please contribute your valuable thoughts...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 10 Jul 2010 - 9:29 AM
User_Removed
10 Jul 2010 - 9:43 AM

A good image to pick, I was dearly hoping I wouldnít like it! There are things I donít like about it but it isnít unpleasant and is something I would happily see everyday as my desktop wallpaper.

This image is not offensive, it is in a way bland, I am not sure anyone would look at it and say they didnít like it. It may not stir them emotionally it may not encourage them to view it longer than a few seconds, they may not miss it if they never see it again. But I think they will say something like ďYep, itís niceĒ.

Itís general, there is no really subject. It is like middle of the road politics, something to everyone.

I am not answering the question I know. What do images like this trigger in us, what do they do to our subconscious? I am not sure I can even begin to answer that but would love to know.

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 9:49 AM

I am not answering the question I know

why you are not answering, please contribute...

User_Removed
10 Jul 2010 - 9:51 AM

I was just saying that my reply wasn't answering the question. I am not sure I can.

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 10:43 AM

ok, can anyone please contribute?...

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 11:37 AM

Asthetics is supposed to impact upon us in three ways I think:

1. I like this work (Our response)
2. This work makes me feel angry, relaxed, agitated
3. It gives me pleasure in some way

if we try to find the common factors of our emotional response it may depends on a lot of elements:-

1. subject matter,
2. light,
3. composition,
4. mood,
5. atmosphere,
6. colors/tones/or even mono,
7. drama,

to name a few, they all are interrelated with each other to create an emotional response, so is it true that only these factors can define the aesthetic quality of an image as a general?...

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2010 - 12:56 PM

I also found this image inoffensive if not really quite attractive but I think it failed to really move me - so I guess, I liked it and it gave me some pleasure but on the third count for me it fails it didn't realy instil any serious emotion (apart from envy - wish I had an image that scored 400 wow!). Which leads to another point here that I tried to raise on your other post - that of context. We must not forget that the image has been posted here on EPZ in order to solicit a response - this lady has a quite beautiful PF and for me there are images there that would rate very much higher - in terms of asthetics.

The point I am trying to get to though is this 'is there a sort of tipping point' for images posted on EPZ that start to do well very quickly - which in turn solicits further attention and that momentum gathers quite quickly with the result that the occasional image scores very highly indeed. Regardless of its merit (not I hasten to add the case in the example you have chosen.

So does context have some part to play in asthetics - is it possible that something can appear to be bautiful because it is set against a particular backcloth? In our world are there gatekeepers who control this process of context and in turn are able to decide what is beautiful and what is not (think about the fashion and the advertising industry perhaps?).

Just a few thoughts because the sun has gone in here!!

Robert

clicknimagine
10 Jul 2010 - 5:51 PM

very well thought out, and valuable points you have included,

does anyone want to add anything about the aesthetics or what is it?...

devlin
devlin  3651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 4:03 PM

Aesthetics is that branch of philosophy which deals with the nature of beauty, art, and taste, and with the creation and appreciation of beauty, it can also be used to study new ways of seeing and perceiving the world around us and i guess that's probably the closest application of this to photography so i guess for a image to be aesthetic it needs to convey the thought and perception of the photographer behind the image, like a story conveyed or a perception conveyed..

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 5:19 PM

Two sets of words, not mine, that sum up aesthetics for me

"Viewer interpretations of beauty possess two concepts of value: aesthetics and taste. Aesthetics is the philosophical notion of beauty. Taste is a result of education and awareness of elite cultural values; therefore taste can be learned."

and

"Judgments of aesthetic value rely on our ability to discriminate at a sensory level"

Of these I think the latter has the strongest meaning for me, an aesthetic image is one that can move me (or even disturb me) on several emotional levels without my being able to decipher why. I may not even like it, but can appreciate it despite that.

If you extend the concept to encompass the Aesthetic Movement then it brings in ideas of tactile as well as visual input into play.

In my view, lots of images that are accepted widely as being "attractive" or "beautiful" aren't necessarily aesthetic, they merely appeal to popular, learned taste (look at the advertising world or the images that grace some of the more popular photo-mags or indeed, the world of "Fine Art" ).

What is beautiful today is often old-hat next year and yet a beautifully crafted piece of furniture or pottery can be appreciated on several levels over generations (maybe this is one aspect of an aesthetic object?)

clicknimagine
28 Jul 2010 - 5:41 PM

both of you are very much welcome to the group, and both of you have pointed out some valuable points,

but how as a person, you can differentiate two images at the same time, one is aesthetically pleasing or another is not?

is it personal taste?

or is there any common factor which can give aesthetic value as a general to any image?...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 28 Jul 2010 - 5:41 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 5:54 PM

Quote: an aesthetic image is one that can move me (or even disturb me) on several emotional levels without my being able to decipher why. I may not even like it, but can appreciate it despite that.

I don't think there is any common factor, I may be able to analyse my reaction but its always after the event not at the time of experiencing it. (like the first time I saw the original of Dali's "Metamorphosis of Narcissus" - I stood spellbound looking at it for a good 15 minutes before I even attempted to understand why). I had a similar experience recently when I went to Highclere Castle and saw the reproductions of the hieroglyphic tablets from the tomb of Tutankhamun. I'd seen images of them before and thought they were interesting but seeing them close to in three dimensions they were stunning on an emotional level (and I still haven't completely worked out why)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.