Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

12 Jan 2013 1:52PM
Hi

I bought this yesterday and just recieved it. Tried it and the auto focus doesn't work.
It clearly stated that it would with certain Nikon models including the D3000. I have the D3100 so I'm pretty sure it should be working

The instructions state to lock the aperture ring into place at f22 and then the auto focus should work which I have done.

Doesn anyone know what is wrong here? Surely I shouldn't have to adjust any camera settings for this to work?

Any help please?
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2013 2:03PM
It will not autofocus on the D3100 I'm afraid.
12 Jan 2013 2:04PM
I think that this lens will only auto focus with camera bodies that have a built in autofocus motor, the d3100 uses af-s lenses which have the motor built in to the lens! Unfortunately i think this means that the lens will not autofocus on your body, sorry HTH
12 Jan 2013 2:07PM
I'm afraid the lens is not compatible with your camera - AF-D lenses only work with D80/D90/D7000 and the pro series Nikons which drive the focus screw from the camera body. For the 3100/3200/5100/5200 you need an AF-G or AF-S type lens. There is a compatibility chart online here . The lens you need is this one - Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G.
12 Jan 2013 2:12PM
Hi

Yes thanks for that. I just noticed that it excludes the D series cameras...
I miss read this earlier (Gutted)

Thanks
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2013 2:16PM
The D3xxx and D5xxx series don't have mechanical linkages. The D lenses require a body-mounted autofocus system which turns a screw coupling to focus the lens. Your camera needs lenses with motors built in, such as AF-S, AF-I or G series lenses. Look at the lens mount on the lens, there is what looks like a slotted screw at 5oclock that drives the AF.

There are a lot of people on here advocating buying older lenses (which are optically excellent and usually better built than modern consumer ones) but may not realise the shortcomings of some combinations. Check this for compatibility:

http://resources.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

Fortunately, the lens is fantastic, and if you want to use it Manually, it focuses fine.

Nick
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Jan 2013 3:34PM
Got to agree with Nick.

If you don't mind focussing manually (all other auto functions will work), it is a superb lens and, at under 100, fantastic value for money.

Look on the bright side - it is only a short time since we all focussed manually all of the time and never thought twice about it.
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
12 Jan 2013 3:40PM
Agree with Nick and Lefty its a fantastic lens so what if AF is not enabled Grin
12 Jan 2013 4:25PM
If you bought the wrong lens mail order you can return it and have your money back even though the mistake was yours. If you did this and do not hang about - the time limit is about seven working days.
If you bought it in a shop; if you get the lens straight back to them there is a good chance they will at least give you a credit note towards a new lens.
12 Jan 2013 7:04PM
Thanks for the help guys

I dont mind manual but the auto has better eyes than me Tongue Sometimes need to shoot quick especially at kids
parties and they wont wait for me to focus Sad
Not sure what im doing with it yetWink I am planning on getting a mucher higher spec camera later and expect it might auto focus with that??? Will see

Thanks again
12 Jan 2013 8:49PM

Quote: I am planning on getting a mucher higher spec camera later and expect it might auto focus with that???

All the higher specification Nikon cameras autofocus with D type lenses.
If you kept the box in good condition you should be able to get your money back now and make a better decision when you know more about photography and your photographic needs.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Jan 2013 11:22AM

Quote:

All the higher specification Nikon cameras autofocus with D type lenses..

.... not the D5*** series, I believe. I think they are similar to the D3*** series in that respect.
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 1:44PM
Nor do the D40 series.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.