Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Affordable 24" Monitor Recommendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    janovilas
    janovilas  10218 forum posts England
    26 Jul 2014 - 9:08 PM

One of my trusty (but aged) 24" Samsung screens has finally given up on me, so I'd be interested to hear any recommendations for a pair of replacements (working on the assumption that the other will go before long & it's always nice to have a matched pair for editing too) - I'd also be interested to hear any particular things to look out for or avoid too as it's been a fair old while since I last looked at screens (Jan 2008 - when I bought the SM245 that just died)...

Just want to get an idea of how much things have changed and what price I'll be looking at for when I finally get round to replacing it / them...

Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jul 2014 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L
    Chris_L e2 Member 1023 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
    26 Jul 2014 - 9:26 PM

Without paying silly money I don't think you can beat these bad boys Blush

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    janovilas
    janovilas  10218 forum posts England
    26 Jul 2014 - 9:33 PM

Looks good - thanks!

franken
    franken e2 Member 123143 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jul 2014 - 11:05 PM

Bookmarking.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2014 - 10:26 AM

If it helps, the IPS monitor recommended by John has better viewing angles than your existing Samsung screens. This difference is greater than the specs suggest.

The Dell also has LED backlighting, which, aside from usually allowing a slimmer design, has a longer lifespan and consumes less power than CCFL backlighting.

A bigger budget would buy you a wide-gamut display, which is useful for previewing (i.e. softproofing) the colour of an inkjet printer. They also just look nicer, but it's certainly true of monitors that you're unlikely to miss what you never had. I suppose the benefits are less easily envisioned than when we crave a new lens or camera.

An unlimited budget buys a high-end Eizo or NEC, which is far less likely to exhibit problems with uniformity and backlight bleeding, as is fairly common in cheap monitors. Such monitors also allow extremely accurate hardware calibration (unavailable in lesser monitors) and use high-bit-depth colour to avoid banding and achieve smoother gradation and greater accuracy.

Maybe some of that helps. I'd be tempted to run a wide-gamut monitor alongside the still-functioning display, which is what I actually do without too many adverse psychological effects. Two monitors are useful mostly for space; the benefits of matching them perfectly are dubious in many instances, unless you specifically have a need to edit on every screen.

ikky
    ikky  United Kingdom
    31 Jul 2014 - 3:08 PM

I recently went with a pair of ASUS ProArt PA248QJ,s.
    There about 365 each, maybe a bit less if you shop around.
    I see in a recent photo mag that they out performed units costing over twice as much including Eizo,NEC,Samsung,and Viewsonic.
    Im only an amateur and in no way a techy but I like them and apparently so did the mag

Chris_L
    31 Jul 2014 - 4:30 PM

Another good choice, those Asus get cracking reviews, plus you can now get a pair for 640!

here4years
    here4years e2 Member 186 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2014 - 7:11 PM

Quote: Without paying silly money I don't think you can beat these bad boys

Just went and bought one - thanks Smile (I was in the market for a decent monitor - my current one is over 7 years old)

Chris_L
    31 Jul 2014 - 9:16 PM

Be interested to know what you think of it, I love mine, it's my main monitor, my HP LP2475w is secondary despite it being a better monitor on paper. I don't think I'd ever buy another wide-gamut monitor.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.